Author Topic: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler  (Read 8911 times)

Re: Pick #3/#4 or Jimmy Butler
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:07 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The only guy we keep the pick for in this draft imo is Fultz.
If it's not #1 then trade it for Butler or George.

No way, not with Hayward out there.  Suppose the offer for Butler or George drops to "just" Bradley and the Brooklyn pick.  That's one choice.  Alternatively, you can trade Bradley for a future 1st (let's say in 2020), and wind up with Hayward, this year's pick, and that pick in 2020 instead of Butler or George.

I think it's pretty clear what the better option is.

Hayward is my first choice with cap room, but if that fails, i trade any pick that isn't #1 for Butler or PG 13. I just dont believe anyone other than Fultz will be better than Butler or George and would rather take one of them.
Would be nice to get both Hayward and one of PG/ Butler too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'll take 9 years of Tatum or Jackson over butler.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Keeping the pick and having 9 years of Tatum or Jackson rather than giving it up for Butler: 

100 million percent agree with this.

No question.

If you are talking about an all-star or potential all star under the age of 25, then I think about it. But Jimmy Butler? The guy has one year left on his contact - and we could just sign Hayward in the offseason while keeping the pick.

I would take 9 years of Tatum, Jackson, or Ball (who knows) over Jimmy Butler at the age of 28? staying for one year then possibly leaving.

The Bulls won't get what they want back for Butler. They'll trade him for pennies on the dollar. They waited too long

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Keeping the pick and having 9 years of Tatum or Jackson rather than giving it up for Butler: 

No question.

If you are talking about an all-star or potential all star under the age of 25, then I think about it. But Jimmy Butler? The guy has one year left on his contact - and we could just sign Hayward in the offseason while keeping the pick.

I would take 9 years of Tatum, Jackson, or Ball (who knows) over Jimmy Butler at the age of 28? staying for one year then possibly leaving.

The Bulls won't get what they want back for Butler. They'll trade him for pennies on the dollar. They waited too long
Butler has 2 years left and Hayward is far from a guarantee.

I agree with the bolded. I dont think we need to give them '17 anymore. That ship has sailed.

That said, I still would have done Butler for Zeller + Bradley + unprotected '17 at the deadline.

the extra half-season of Jimmy was fairly important to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford

No question.

I agree with the bolded. I dont think we need to give them '17 anymore. That ship has sailed.

That said, I still would have done Butler for Zeller + Bradley + unprotected '17 at the deadline.

Yeah my bad you're right. Two years locked up. Nevertheless no way I'm giving up 3rd or 4th for Butler now. That price tag is not happening.

When you have Tatum or Jackson on the board and you will have them for at least 8 years guaranteed provided no injuries - no way.

If the pick were 5 or 6 we could talk

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I agree
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I have a strong preference towards Fultz in this draft. If we land at #1 i'm taking my chances with him. If we have to chose between Ball/Jackson/Tatum or trading the pick for Butler then i'd take Butler.

Hayward is pretty unlikely in free agency at this point... to anyone suggesting him as an alternative to Butler.

Ball i'm not even interested in. Is Tatum's ceiling even as high as where Butler is right now? Athletically he's kind of lacking, and all of the leagues elite SFs are more athletic than he is. Jackson's shooting will hold him back, name one elite player who shot under 60% on FTs at any point in their career. Seems like a bust candidate to me.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 02:01:41 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I have a strong preference towards Fultz in this draft. If we land at #1 i'm taking my chances with him. If we have to chose between Ball/Jackson/Tatum or trading the pick for Butler then i'd take Butler.

Hayward is pretty unlikely in free agency at this point... to anyone suggesting him as an alternative to Butler.

Ball i'm not even interested in. Is Tatum's ceiling even as high as where Butler is right now? Athletically he's kind of lacking, and all of the leagues elite SFs are more athletic than he is. Jackson's shooting will hold him back, name one elite player who shot under 60% on FTs at any point in their career. Seems like a bust candidate to me.
tatums NBA comparison on nbadraft.net is Danny granger and Shane battier. I'll take a potential young Danny granger  for 9 years over a rental max butler for 3 years.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 02:07:52 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I agree

Prefer PG13 before Butler but George must sign an extension first.
And yes for me this is just Fultz or bust scenario...trade the pick if it does not land us number 1 or 2..just incase Fultz drops.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:33 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

tatums NBA comparison on nbadraft.net is Danny granger and Shane battier. I'll take a potential young Danny granger  for 9 years over a rental max butler for 3 years.

How likely is it he reaches that potential though? Jimmy Butler is an elite player now, a sure thing.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 03:15:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

No question.

Yeah my bad you're right. Two years locked up. Nevertheless no way I'm giving up 3rd or 4th for Butler now. That price tag is not happening.

When you have Tatum or Jackson on the board and you will have them for at least 8 years guaranteed provided no injuries - no way.

I don't see Jackson and especially Tatum becoming top 10 players. Jimmy Butler is entering his prime while we have IT and Horford. Jaylen Brown is up for contract renewal when Horford Comes off the books.

If you can get Butler and another star like Griffin, PG13 or Hayward here and all you have to do is give up the BRK pick + cap space then I'm all in.

It's all opinion of course, but in my opinion, there is only one potential top 10 guy in this draft and that is Fultz.

Now in an ideal world, we wouldn't have to give up the 2017 BRK pick to get Butler. Avery Bradley+Rozier+2018 BRK pick might do it if Chicago is desperate enough. (unlikely).

But if we have to give up the #2, #3 or worse pick this year, while keeping next year's Brooklyn pick and Jaylen Brown+Crowder, then that is a legit title contender for the next 4-5 seasons.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 04:37:14 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford

No question.

I don't see Jackson and especially Tatum becoming top 10 players. Jimmy Butler is entering his prime while we have IT and Horford. Jaylen Brown is up for contract renewal when Horford Comes off the books.

If you can get Butler and another star like Griffin, PG13 or Hayward here and all you have to do is give up the BRK pick + cap space then I'm all in.

It's all opinion of course, but in my opinion, there is only one potential top 10 guy in this draft and that is Fultz.

Now in an ideal world, we wouldn't have to give up the 2017 BRK pick to get Butler. Avery Bradley+Rozier+2018 BRK pick might do it if Chicago is desperate enough. (unlikely).

But if we have to give up the #2, #3 or worse pick this year, while keeping next year's Brooklyn pick and Jaylen Brown+Crowder, then that is a legit title contender for the next 4-5 seasons.

I'm the reverse, I don't rate Jackson as high as I do Tatum. I'd give the bulls Jackson before I do Tatum.

And personally I know Butler is a really good player, but I don't think he's top 10. His stats are just pumped up because of high useage and being on a mediocre team... But he's still a very very good player.

Also, does this draft become 2007 again if we don't land top 3? Ie: Butler = Ray,  then, although not the same, lure Griffin = KG to sign, although in free agency?  But KG >>> Griffin

Keep in mind that Danny has said many times that he wants to build something much longer lasting than the pierce + KG + ray teams. If you draft another stud to go along with Jaylen and can somehow lure Hayward and Griffin, you are seriously forming the possibility of a 7-10 year dynasty where the kids come into their primes when the guys now in their prime (Hayward and Griffin) drop off ---- I know, let me dream

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

How likely is it he reaches that potential though? Jimmy Butler is an elite player now, a sure thing.
were the #1 seed and have the best youth  developing head coach in the league. Why can't we wait if we're the 1 seed? What's the hurry

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 04:48:21 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

No question.

I'm the reverse, I don't rate Jackson as high as I do Tatum. I'd give the bulls Jackson before I do Tatum.

And personally I know Butler is a really good player, but I don't think he's top 10. His stats are just pumped up because of high useage and being on a mediocre team... But he's still a very very good player.

Also, does this draft become 2007 again if we don't land top 3? Ie: Butler = Ray,  then, although not the same, lure Griffin = KG to sign, although in free agency?  But KG >>> Griffin

Keep in mind that Danny has said many times that he wants to build something much longer lasting than the pierce + KG + ray teams. If you draft another stud to go along with Jaylen and can somehow lure Hayward and Griffin, you are seriously forming the possibility of a 7-10 year dynasty where the kids come into their primes when the guys now in their prime (Hayward and Griffin) drop off ---- I know, let me dream
that's exactly what danny wants, a bunch of high lottery picks ( fultz (or Tatum) /smart/young / brown / ayton 2018?) developing under brad Stevens for a long period of title contention. They'll play together for so long their chemistry will be unmatched. And I include young as he was a top 5 projected pick by some mocks and he still can surprise

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

No question.

you don't have them for at least 8 years guaranteed, you have them for 5.  the 4 year rookie deal and then the 1 year on the Q.O.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip