Author Topic: Smart will be Celtics' BEST player next year?  (Read 5041 times)

Re: Smart will be Celtics' BEST player next year?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Love Smart but if you think he will ever "get to the rim at will" then you clearly haven't watched him. He doesn't have the handle/lateral quickness to get by defenders and he doesn't finish well at the rim at all.

That said, I think his shot will continue to improve (no where to go but up) and I have liked what I've seen of his post up game.  I actually think his shot selection has improved over the course of this season.  I'm noticing him chucking fewer threes and the bad shots he is still taking are often when he has the ball at the end of the shot clock/quarter.
Smart's lateral quickness is not the problem. His lateral quickness is actually really good. Especially for a guy as heavy as Marcus. He has no burst or one legged vertical explosion. That's why he cant break guys down or get to the rim.

The rest of your post, I agree with.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Smart will be the best player, and I will be the best Rim protector next year. Sounds about right.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
put the peace pipe down... please

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Love Smart but if you think he will ever "get to the rim at will" then you clearly haven't watched him. He doesn't have the handle/lateral quickness to get by defenders and he doesn't finish well at the rim at all.

That said, I think his shot will continue to improve (no where to go but up) and I have liked what I've seen of his post up game.  I actually think his shot selection has improved over the course of this season.  I'm noticing him chucking fewer threes and the bad shots he is still taking are often when he has the ball at the end of the shot clock/quarter.
Smart's lateral quickness is not the problem. His lateral quickness is actually really good. Especially for a guy as heavy as Marcus. He has no burst or one legged vertical explosion. That's why he cant break guys down or get to the rim.

I just read a short article about one-foot vs. two-foot jumping and Marcus definitely fits the bill as a two-foot jumper. You're right about his lateral quickness, which is one of the reasons he is an elite defender (main reasons being strength and tenacity); however, he is going to have a difficult time really improving his explosiveness to the hoop off the dribble. We've seen him come out of nowhere to throw down a rebound dunk, but rarely seen him go off of one foot into the lane for a rim-rocking throw-down  :P

http://www.balldontstop.com/what-type-of-jumper-are-you/

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm hoping it's Fultz or Zizic  ;D

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His statline would have to be something insane, like averaging 16, 7 and 7 on 45/37/80 shooting with first team defence. If he can do that then he might be our best player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Nah. He dont have the talent.

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 01:49:50 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If he is, it will be the greatest one year improvement in the history of the NBA!!

Exactly. But I rather take this as a theory in an parallel universe.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Has anybody noticed that the less shots Smart takes, the more likely we are to win?

Seriously,  take a look at his shot attempts in our recent wins vs our losses.  When hes taking 15 shots like today,  we seem to almost always lose.

Worst offensive guard in the nba? Maybe.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 05:08:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

It also doesn't help that he has the ball handling skills of an averagr small forward.  The guy has to dribble moves, and when you combine that with his lack of straight line acceleration and complete lack of shooting ability you get an offensive horror story.

He's a very good defender,  rebounder and hustle guy though.

Perfect role for a player like that 20 minutes power game as your backup spot,  and no more then 5 or 6 shot attempts per game.   Seriously,  any time Smart takes a shot outside 10 feet he should be suspended for 3 games without pay.

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Has anybody noticed that the less shots Smart takes, the more likely we are to win?

Seriously,  take a look at his shot attempts in our recent wins vs our losses.  When hes taking 15 shots like today,  we seem to almost always lose.

Worst offensive guard in the nba? Maybe.

I feel his shot attempts are more a reflection of defense being played against us.  He's not the first, second or third option-- so if he has to take 15 shots it means the other team is doing well to break up whatever IT action we are trying to run.   Notice it's mostly low shot clock situations when Smart hoists a bad shot.  In that context, I'd rather he take bad shots than let the clock expire in an effort to please the % stat watchers out there.   

Fact is, he's a very good ball handler.  Great distributing out of pick/roll & also isolating mismatches in the post.  His FT shooting has improved too.  Calling him the worst offensive player in the league really just sounds like a hyperbolic reaction to a tough loss. 

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Smart is more likely to be the 10th best player than the 1st best player on the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It also doesn't help that he has the ball handling skills of an averagr small forward.  The guy has to dribble moves, and when you combine that with his lack of straight line acceleration and complete lack of shooting ability you get an offensive horror story.

Last night, he took to the rack once and I was impressed because it was rare that he does that effectively.  It was after the grab the foot play and he blew by his man.   It is the exception and not the norm though.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If Marcus Smart is our best player next year, it means Danny shocked the world and decided to blow the team up and trade our veterans for young players and picks.
I still don't see how it will be possible, as I think Brown and maybe even the rookie are going to be better than Smart, and that doesn't even account for who was acquired in the trade i.e. potentially some very high picks again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Smart is my favorite player, but if you expect him to be a good offensive next year you'll be sorely disappointed.