Author Topic: Convince Me Markelle Fultz isn't #1 Pick...  (Read 9533 times)

Convince Me Markelle Fultz isn't #1 Pick...
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2DHVAnrNlk

He is a beast. Has height. Has a good head on his shoulders. Has a beautiful outside shooting stroke. Can penetrate the lane with ease.

God I hope we get #1 pick and draft this kid.

Sign Gordon Hayward. Draft Fultz. Maybe kick the tires on signing Taj Gibson to replace Amir Johnson.

Championship team right there.

PG: Thomas/Fultz
SG: Bradley/Smart/Rozier
SF: Hayward/Brown/Nader
PF: Crowder/Gibson/Yabusele
C: Horford/Olynyk/Zizic

Re: Convince Me Markelle Fultz isn't #1 Pick...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Depends who drafts No. 1. If Celts, sure, a high likelihood he goes 1. If the Lakers, rather doubt it, they'd be better off with Ball or even Jackson.  Others I'm unsure.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Ball says he is better than Fultz

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19024163/lonzo-ball-says-better-fellow-nba-draft-prospect-markelle-fultz

no matter who the #1 and #2 pick of the draft is, I am already liking the rivalry slowly brewing between the two. Just imagine Boston/Lakers split the #1 and #2 pick, just imagine the chatter for years to come

Smart vs Randle
Brown vs Ingram
Fultz vs Ball

it'll be an interesting debate who got it right in 5 years when all our players are either hitting their prime or have played 2-3 years

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19024163/lonzo-ball-says-better-fellow-nba-draft-prospect-markelle-fultz

no matter who the #1 and #2 pick of the draft is, I am already liking the rivalry slowly brewing between the two. Just imagine Boston/Lakers split the #1 and #2 pick, just imagine the chatter for years to come

Smart vs Randle
Brown vs Ingram
Fultz vs Ball

it'll be an interesting debate who got it right in 5 years when all our players are either hitting their prime or have played 2-3 years
Great idea to re-ignite this rivalry.  Adam Silver, are you listening?

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

so far the ball family does nothing but talk......

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Smart vs Randle
Brown vs Ingram
Fultz vs Ball

I simply can't imagine any scenario where the Celtics and Lakers have two of the best players in the game who develop a long-time rivalry with each other.

This could get good.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I could easily see Jackson being the first pick.  Fultz doesn't play much defense.  He's a surprisingly bad FT shooter for someone with such a smooth jumper.  Jackson shows a higher IQ in my estimation.  Fultz is one of those guys that just gets buckets, but there's no guarantee he's more than Jamal Crawford.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I picture Marcus Smart walking on to the court .

In his hand is a pair,of leashes .

On the end of each leash is Brown and Fultz .

Coached to be aggressive ......these young pit bulls are going to terrorize opponents on the offensive end.

Maybe it won't be fair to other teams  .......but I don't care  ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
missed a bunch of games with knee soreness.

Isnt a wow-type athlete, so its possible that he struggles to get his shot in the NBA.

Not superlative as a defender.

Hes not a guy with many flaws. If you really wanted to make an argument against Fultz, you would focus more on the strengths of guys like Jackson Tatum and Ball than you would the weaknesses of Fultz.

Jackson is an elite athlete, who plays elite defense, is an elite passer, and is an elite competitor.

Ball is truly a gifted passer who has unlimited range.

Tatum is a gifted scorer.

If you pick dont pick Fultz it is because you believe one of those guys elite traits is transcendent in the order of Stephen Curry's shooting or something of the like.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Smart vs Randle
Brown vs Ingram
Fultz vs Ball

I've got to say, I do like Ball's confidence/swagger more than Fultz, who seems lesser in that regard. You could see it in their game against each other. Ball was out for blood, and Fultz just seemed like "meh." That's my only worry with Fultz.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Smart vs Randle
Brown vs Ingram
Fultz vs Ball

I'm liking your thinking. TP!

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
1)  Transcendental talents have lead their teams deep in the NCAAs.   Fultz could not even lead his to the NCAAs.   I thought the same thing last year for Ben Simmons.  The kid is talented but not talented enough to carry his team to the tourney.

2) Fultz just a few years was not highly regarded.  I think this is a strength as well as a weakness.  The kid has clawed his way to the top.   But his record in high school, indicates he played on the freshman and JV team.  Most studs play varsity early.  Not Fultz..  He did stick with it though and never gave up.
Entering his sophomore season, Fultz hit a growth spurt. His height, combined with his high basketball IQ, equipped him to play every position. “I think that kind of helped [his] overall game,” said Corey McCrae, who coached Fultz on jayvee. Fultz said he never got discouraged, that he just believed it would all work out, but the decision to table his varsity debut undoubtedly fueled Fultz. He ended his sophomore season behind schedule on the modern recruiting calendar, but he was eager to make up ground. “I never got frustrated, really,” Fultz says, adding that “I love the game, so no matter if I’m playing JV or varsity, I’m going to do it to the best of my ability.”

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/17/markelle-fultz-2016-basketball-recruiting-washington-dc

3) He can be passive and takes what is given to him.   I again see this as both a strength and weakness.  Being passive can be a weakness if one never asserts himself but taking what is given to you can make one efficient and effective.

Fultz is a better player than Ball, is not even up for debate.   If Ball is lucky, he will have  a Kevin Martin type of shot but his shot is worse off than that one.   Will bringing it across your body work in the NBA?   Fultz has a nice shot with no hitches.  Ball is a great college player but his shot is ugly.   I never believe what a guy named Ball, says ever.

Jackson is the best prospect out of the three with the most potential.   He is not the best player at this point.   But he has great size, is the most athletic I would say and room to grow.  It will be a hard call for Danny.   Does taking Fultz make IT a goner?   What about Rozier or Smart?   Are there any franchise guys in this draft?   Do we use the draft to address our glaring front court weakness or take best player available?

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
1)  Transcendental talents have lead their teams deep in the NCAAs.   Fultz could not even lead his to the NCAAs.   I thought the same thing last year for Ben Simmons.  The kid is talented but not talented enough to carry his team to the tourney.

2) Fultz just a few years was not highly regarded.  I think this is a strength as well as a weakness.  The kid has clawed his way to the top.   But his record in high school, indicates he played on the freshman and JV team.  Most studs play varsity early.  Not Fultz..  He did stick with it though and never gave up.
Entering his sophomore season, Fultz hit a growth spurt. His height, combined with his high basketball IQ, equipped him to play every position. “I think that kind of helped [his] overall game,” said Corey McCrae, who coached Fultz on jayvee. Fultz said he never got discouraged, that he just believed it would all work out, but the decision to table his varsity debut undoubtedly fueled Fultz. He ended his sophomore season behind schedule on the modern recruiting calendar, but he was eager to make up ground. “I never got frustrated, really,” Fultz says, adding that “I love the game, so no matter if I’m playing JV or varsity, I’m going to do it to the best of my ability.”

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/17/markelle-fultz-2016-basketball-recruiting-washington-dc

3) He can be passive and takes what is given to him.   I again see this as both a strength and weakness.  Being passive can be a weakness if one never asserts himself but taking what is given to you can make one efficient and effective.

Fultz is a better player than Ball, is not even up for debate.   If Ball is lucky, he will have  a Kevin Martin type of shot but his shot is worse off than that one.   Will bringing it across your body work in the NBA?   Fultz has a nice shot with no hitches.  Ball is a great college player but his shot is ugly.   I never believe what a guy named Ball, says ever.

Jackson is the best prospect out of the three with the most potential.   He is not the best player at this point.   But he has great size, is the most athletic I would say and room to grow.  It will be a hard call for Danny.   Does taking Fultz make IT a goner?   What about Rozier or Smart?   Are there any franchise guys in this draft?   Do we use the draft to address our glaring front court weakness or take best player available?

I just cant agree that Jackson has more potential than Fultz.
Jackson projects to be a poor man's Kawahi Leonard at best, and at age 18, Fultz already possesses the absolutely complete offensive game that NBA players strive for.
He has almost no major holes in his offensive game. His handles, his shooting, his finishing ability with both hands.

I honestly can't remember seeing a freshman with his triple threat scoring ability. Can you?
He is like Evan Turner with a 3 point shot and he actually finishes at the rim under contact.
At 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan he can easily play SG or even SF in the NBA with some time in the gym. He has enormous hands and length and uses that length at every opp.
I agree that he coasts at times, but he busted his a$$ to get from playing JV to becoming the #1 prospect in the world.

Jackson is a great talent with tremendous upside, but Fultz is a potential superstar/top 5 talent with his skill and size.

To see a kid with his size that can shoot mid range, drive, and shoots 40% from 3 so consistently is very,very rare.
Anyway just my opinion but i do agree Jackson and Fultz should go ahead of Ball.

edit: PS keep in mind that Jackson is 14 months older than Fultz too- which is a long time at this stage of development.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:10:06 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I just cant agree that Jackson has more potential than Fultz.
Jackson projects to be a poor man's Kawahi Leonard at best, and at age 19, Fultz already possesses the absolutely complete offensive game that NBA players strive for.
He has almost no major holes in his offensive game. His handles, his shooting, his finishing ability with both hands.

I honestly can't remember seeing a freshman with his triple threat scoring ability. Can you?
He is like Evan Turner with a 3 point shot and he actually finishes at the rim under contact.
At 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan he can easily play SG or even SF in the NBA with some time in the gym. He has enormous hands and length and uses that length at every opp.
I agree that he coasts at times, but he busted his a$$ to get from playing JV to becoming the #1 prospect in the world.

Jackson is a great talent with tremendous upside, but Fultz is a potential superstar/top 5 talent with his skill and size.

To see a kid with his size that can shoot mid range, drive, and shoots 40% from 3 so consistently is very,very rare.
Anyway just my opinion but i do agree Jackson and Fultz should go ahead of Ball.

Well said Chambers. +1 My good man.
 And might I add, He's twice the athlete that Evan Turner ever was. Interesting prospect and I love that the last mock I looked at had him going to the Celtics first.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:44:46 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
missed a bunch of games with knee soreness.

Isnt a wow-type athlete, so its possible that he struggles to get his shot in the NBA.

Not superlative as a defender.

Hes not a guy with many flaws. If you really wanted to make an argument against Fultz, you would focus more on the strengths of guys like Jackson Tatum and Ball than you would the weaknesses of Fultz.

Jackson is an elite athlete, who plays elite defense, is an elite passer, and is an elite competitor.

Ball is truly a gifted passer who has unlimited range.

Tatum is a gifted scorer.

If you pick dont pick Fultz it is because you believe one of those guys elite traits is transcendent in the order of Stephen Curry's shooting or something of the like.

This is my thinking as well.