Author Topic: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?  (Read 6402 times)

Re: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
What assets are we getting for IT?
Let's say the best offer the C's get is IT to Minnesota for Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng.

What do you say, then, to the Chris Paul scenario?
This would never be your best offer. That is ridiculous. And if it was, you say no with 0 hesitation. I dont care if you have 9 point gaurds. You cant make this trade.
lol I knew I this would happen.

I'm just giving a concrete example with which to play devil's advocate. I'm not advocating for the deal.
I dont see where I wrote that you were advocating this.

The concrete example is ridiculous and you cant make the trade. That simple.
I was tying to see if what Roy's reaction would be to the Chris Paul question if the return for IT was a couple of role players. You debating the merits of the trade just derails that conversation. Stop worrying about that tree, there's a whole forest.
OK, but I believe(and obviously Roy does too) the merits of the trade are crucial to the discussion.
Which is why I gave some. But rather than use that as a means of having the Chris Paul conversation, you have decided to derail that in favor of discussing the trade itself, which I don't think anyone else cares about.
lol

they are completely intertwined. You cant have the sign Chris Paul and trade Isaiah discussion without having the trade Isaiah discussion.

Its half the discussion.

you submitted an example that more or less said: we get basically nothing for Isaiah, should we still make the move?

My response to this is twofold: 1. no. You cant afford to get nothing for Isaiah and 2, thats really irrelevant because you are really unlikely to be in a position where you cant get anything more than Gorgui Deng in exchange for Isaiah Thomas.

no since then this has dissolved into an argument that really no one cares about, but Im pretty certain Im in the right.

Hmm.  Devil's advocate: Could you have a sign CP, keep IT discussion?  Let's start:

Would IT accept a 6th man role behind CP?  Behind anyone?

Or how about we have CP3 accept a 6th man role behind IT.

CP3 is getting older and is oft-injured nowadays. No thanks.

If people want to give him (CP3) a full max-contract then I'd rather keep IT. That's just me.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Let's say the best offer the C's get is IT to Minnesota for Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng.

This would never be your best offer. That is ridiculous. And if it was, you say no with 0 hesitation. I dont care if you have 9 point gaurds. You cant make this trade.

I'm just giving a concrete example with which to play devil's advocate. I'm not advocating for the deal.

I was tying to see if what Roy's reaction would be to the Chris Paul question if the return for IT was a couple of role players. You debating the merits of the trade just derails that conversation. Stop worrying about that tree, there's a whole forest.
OK, but I believe(and obviously Roy does too) the merits of the trade are crucial to the discussion.
Which is why I gave some. But rather than use that as a means of having the Chris Paul conversation, you have decided to derail that in favor of discussing the trade itself, which I don't think anyone else cares about.
lol

they are completely intertwined. You cant have the sign Chris Paul and trade Isaiah discussion without having the trade Isaiah discussion.

Its half the discussion.

you submitted an example that more or less said: we get basically nothing for Isaiah, should we still make the move?

My response to this is twofold: 1. no. You cant afford to get nothing for Isaiah and 2, thats really irrelevant because you are really unlikely to be in a position where you cant get anything more than Gorgui Deng in exchange for Isaiah Thomas.

no since then this has dissolved into an argument that really no one cares about, but Im pretty certain Im in the right.

Hmm.  Devil's advocate: Could you have a sign CP, keep IT discussion?  Let's start:

Why should IT sit for Chris Paul?

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:41 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Only reason I wouldn't is loyalty to IT. CP3 is still a better player and that isn't a knock on Isaiah. Chris Paul is one of the all-time greats and he has barely declined at all.

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 12:31:04 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

lol

Its half the discussion.

Why should IT sit for Chris Paul?

Star vs superstar

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Star has his team leading the conference, Superstar not so much.

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yep.  IT deserves a lot of credit for where we're standing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 12:56:12 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

You wouldnt know it with all the nonsense posted about him on this blog.

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:25 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Let's see how the playoffs turn out.  I think there is a lot on the line for IT in this particular playoffs
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Let's see how the playoffs turn out.  I think there is a lot on the line for IT in this particular playoffs

Sure will.  He's a max candidate, but this playoffs may be the best opportunity he's going to have to prove he's worth it. 

You wouldnt know it with all the nonsense posted about him on this blog.

I understand it's sometimes easy to miss the forest from the trees, but his role in the Celtics' success this season can't be overestimated. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 01:33:22 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Only reason I wouldn't is loyalty to IT. CP3 is still a better player and that isn't a knock on Isaiah. Chris Paul is one of the all-time greats and he has barely declined at all.

You've got to be kidding?
4 yrs ago yes...absolutely...nowadays there is no way Danny will still be infatuated with CP3...and yes he has significantly declined...duh.

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You've got to be kidding?
4 yrs ago yes...absolutely...nowadays there is no way Danny will still be infatuated with CP3...and yes he has significantly declined...duh.
The only significant decline is his health - his output has remained very steady.

I would still be very wary, unless we got to move IT for someone like Jokic as someone previously floated. If we could get a young star big man for IT and then sign a star point guard, you'd have to be pretty happy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 05:37:16 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Why do you guys diss IT?? He should be untouchable.
I'd rather build with IT. Now people will argue he isn't worth a max contract, but frankly in that case, neither is Hayward, or Griffin either.

Hayward or Griffin play (well) in both sides of the court and are in their prime. They deserve the max, no question about it.

IT will be 29 when signing a new contract, can't play defense (not saying he doesn't want, just a physical evidence) and relies so much in speed that his 30 somethings are a risk inking him four years. He has flourished in this system, has been given total freedom to execute in offense and I think he owes to the Celtics as much as the Celtics owe him.

The question reduces to this: There are 25 teams that (with cap space) would give Hayward and Griffin the max. How many would to Isaiah? Let's see if we do, to start with.

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 05:39:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wanted to respond that this was crazy but after taking a day it's not so out there. Reason being if you can get CP3 to sign a three year deal and develop Fultz/Ball/Smith/Fox it makes some sense. And if you can trade IT in a package for a top 10 player it makes even more sense. Say you move IT, Smart, Zeller, Crowder and Nets 2018 for Anthony Davis and in draft you take Fultz the lineup looks like

CP3/Rozier
AB/Fultz
Brown/Green
Davis/KO
Horford/Zizic

You add a top 10 player in Davis. And let CP3 run things for 2-3 years till Fultz takes over. So it's not crazy but the big "if" is the return on what you get for IT. We would need to make a position upgrade some where else and it would have to be impactful. Or else stick with IT.

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 06:32:04 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Simple answer - no.

Chris Paul will go down as one of the best point guards to ever play the game,  but he's not going anymore and injuries are a major issue.

He's also not a pure scorer,  and for a team like ours (that lacks standoffish scorers)  a guy like Thomas is a perfect fit.

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Nope.