Author Topic: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?  (Read 6469 times)

Re: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 07:36:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What assets are we getting for IT?
Let's say the best offer the C's get is IT to Minnesota for Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng.

What do you say, then, to the Chris Paul scenario?

Trading an All-NBA level PG for two mediocre rotation players is bad value. We'd be better off holding onto IT and cap space.

All-NBA PG?  Hyperbole, right?  I got Westbrook and Harden by a mile.

There are 6 All-NBA guards, and more that are "All-NBA level".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Let's say the best offer the C's get is IT to Minnesota for Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng.

This would never be your best offer. That is ridiculous. And if it was, you say no with 0 hesitation. I dont care if you have 9 point gaurds. You cant make this trade.
lol I knew I this would happen.

I'm just giving a concrete example with which to play devil's advocate. I'm not advocating for the deal.
I dont see where I wrote that you were advocating this.

The concrete example is ridiculous and you cant make the trade. That simple.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Trading an All-NBA level PG for two mediocre rotation players is bad value. We'd be better off holding onto IT and cap space.
What if all other max guys are off the market?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:11:21 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

This would never be your best offer. That is ridiculous. And if it was, you say no with 0 hesitation. I dont care if you have 9 point gaurds. You cant make this trade.

I'm just giving a concrete example with which to play devil's advocate. I'm not advocating for the deal.

I was tying to see if what Roy's reaction would be to the Chris Paul question if the return for IT was a couple of role players. You debating the merits of the trade just derails that conversation. Stop worrying about that tree, there's a whole forest.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I was tying to see if what Roy's reaction would be to the Chris Paul question if the return for IT was a couple of role players. You debating the merits of the trade just derails that conversation. Stop worrying about that tree, there's a whole forest.
OK, but I believe(and obviously Roy does too) the merits of the trade are crucial to the discussion.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
We certainly aren't acting like a fan base that has the #1 seed in the East now if we're even discussing trading IT (only reason this team is a #1 seed and without him probably not even a playoff team).  :laugh:

As for this idea, maybe if CP3 was younger, but now? Nope.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I really don't get why a large contingent of this blog want to ship out the C's best player who has basically turned this franchise around the past 2.5 years for peanuts. There's a new trade IT ot let him walk thread almost every day. It's like people really want to be like the 76ers. It's incredibly disturbing.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:43:56 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

All-NBA PG?  Hyperbole, right?  I got Westbrook and Harden by a mile.

There are 6 All-NBA guards, and more that are "All-NBA level".

Point taken, though how many players can be on all-NBA level when there are 6 slots?

Let's keep some perspective here. Outside of scoring, it's not like his output is anything special. 6 assists is quite "journeyman level."  The competition starts with Mr. Triple-Double. IT isn't close to that kind of production. Bring in SG's, and IT will look like a one-trick pony. Hell of a trick, though. Fortunately for him, scoring is pretty much the only thing needed to get allstar consideration.

Sorry for getting off topic. But I think DA isn't looking to bring in any more max deal, past-prime damaged players to create another 3-year window. Not Plan A.

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

What if all other max guys are off the market?

Keep the space anyway for trade possibilities.

I'm on the "keep IT until his contract expires and see what happens" bandwagon that's starting up.

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

OK, but I believe(and obviously Roy does too) the merits of the trade are crucial to the discussion.
Which is why I gave some. But rather than use that as a means of having the Chris Paul conversation, you have decided to derail that in favor of discussing the trade itself, which I don't think anyone else cares about.

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Why do you guys diss IT?? He should be untouchable.

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

"Defense is so much better without him on the floor"

"Ball moves so smoothly on offense without IT"

"Guys like Rozier/Smart can easily replace IT's 29 PPG with more minutes"

That's what most people will say, and while it's true there are obviously other players better than IT, lets be real, Lebron isn't coming here, neither is Harden, or Anthony Davis, etc.

I'd rather build with IT. Now people will argue he isn't worth a max contract, but frankly in that case, neither is Hayward, or Griffin either.

And trading IT for some role players + signing either of them to max contracts is a LATERAL move.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Which is why I gave some. But rather than use that as a means of having the Chris Paul conversation, you have decided to derail that in favor of discussing the trade itself, which I don't think anyone else cares about.
lol

they are completely intertwined. You cant have the sign Chris Paul and trade Isaiah discussion without having the trade Isaiah discussion.

Its half the discussion.

you submitted an example that more or less said: we get basically nothing for Isaiah, should we still make the move?

My response to this is twofold: 1. no. You cant afford to get nothing for Isaiah and 2, thats really irrelevant because you are really unlikely to be in a position where you cant get anything more than Gorgui Deng in exchange for Isaiah Thomas.

no since then this has dissolved into an argument that really no one cares about, but Im pretty certain Im in the right.

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

"Defense is so much better without him on the floor"

"Ball moves so smoothly on offense without IT"

"Guys like Rozier/Smart can easily replace IT's 29 PPG with more minutes"

That's what most people will say, and while it's true there are obviously other players better than IT, lets be real, Lebron isn't coming here, neither is Harden, or Anthony Davis, etc.

I'd rather build with IT. Now people will argue he isn't worth a max contract, but frankly in that case, neither is Hayward, or Griffin either.

And trading IT for some role players + signing either of them to max contracts is a LATERAL move.
1st two have certainly been true at times and Ive never seen anyone say the third one.

I think the best thing that happened this year was a three game stint Isaiah missed.

Our offense looked terrific in each of those games until it got cold. Untill someone had to make their own offense. Then it was incredibly horrible.

IT came back and began picking his spots much better. After that, I think he noticed that for most of the game, getting other guys involved and picking his spots led to the most effective offense.

Whenever we got to that point where we were cold or someone needed to get hot, then boom. Isaiah Thomas takes over.

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

lol

they are completely intertwined. You cant have the sign Chris Paul and trade Isaiah discussion without having the trade Isaiah discussion.

Its half the discussion.

you submitted an example that more or less said: we get basically nothing for Isaiah, should we still make the move?

My response to this is twofold: 1. no. You cant afford to get nothing for Isaiah and 2, thats really irrelevant because you are really unlikely to be in a position where you cant get anything more than Gorgui Deng in exchange for Isaiah Thomas.

no since then this has dissolved into an argument that really no one cares about, but Im pretty certain Im in the right.

Hmm.  Devil's advocate: Could you have a sign CP, keep IT discussion?  Let's start:

Would IT accept a 6th man role behind CP?  Behind anyone?