Author Topic: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?  (Read 6423 times)

Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just listened to RealGM and Danny Leroux semi-floated this unlikely idea.

Offer max to Chris Paul (instead of Blake)
&
Trade IT for assets

Note - He doesn't think that Blake and Horford would work.

Would you do it?

Re: Would you sign Chris Paul and trade IT?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
no, this has nothing to do with CP3's talent, but more of his injuries and age. CP3 could hardly keep himself healthy the last 2-3 years in the playoffs let alone his age. Signing CP3 to a max contract to me, is basically saying "we now have a very very limited window to win a championship, and you gotta give him another superstar to play with.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Screw CP3 ....he is going no where on the east coast , unless LeBron talks him into coming to Cleveland or some such mess.  He is old ....broken down .....he has limited years as any force ....he is going the way of Rondo ....a great has been.

That bunch is all caught up in TV contract , and all types of business ,  basketball is not at the front of their mindset .   Making billion dollars is .   TV , Hollywood ,  crapola and selfishness has ruined that bunch in CA ...they can't concentrate on basketball.

Leave that butt hole in CA with the Lakers .

CP3 and his CA carefree lifestyle and TV crap is poison to Celtics trying to build something.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I would rather sign Blake or Hayward (both about 5 years younger), then draft ball or fultz, would make more sense roster wise.

Or we can try to sign IT at less than max and trade the brk pick for George or Butler...

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Chris Paul is definitely close to the end. He turns 32 in a month and has missed serious time the last 2-3 years with injuries, including in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Paul has a lot of miles on those legs, but he has played 402 games in the last 6 years (Thomas is at 433).  I don't think I'd want to give Paul a full 4 year max, but I might be open to that type of move if it was 2 or 3 year max and depending on what I could land for Thomas. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
give him a mid-level contract from the bench if he want's to win rings, otherwise no

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
IT has basically surpassed CP3 at this point in his career. Not sure how much CP3 has left in the tank. If people have issues committing max money to IT, I have no idea how they can justify handing a max to a 32 year old oft injured CP3.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Hell no..

Primadona often injured has been...

Pass.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I wouldn't.

He doesn't have much left in tank compared to Isaiah.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Note - He doesn't think that Blake and Horford would work.

Let's talk more about this.  Why didn't he think they'd work together?

Both excellent passers for bigs with respectable enough range and high bball IQs, and Blake adds a much needed scoring punch down low and off the pick and roll.  Been salivating about what Stevens can do on the offensives end if you add Blake to our current lineup.

And I feel like they could co-exist on the defensive end too.  Blake can provide a more active presence on the boards and is better suited to guard those stretch and/or athletic bigs, while Horford can provide some shot blocking presence.  They can hold their own against both small ball and regular lineups.  Not saying low post D will be one of the C's strengths, but it won't be a major problem either.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In addition to the age and injury issues, which others have mentioned, I'd also avoid Paul because, to me, he's never seemed like a championship-caliber player. Championship-caliber talent? Sure, no doubt. But from what I've seen, he's just never had the "it" factor—and I don't mean IT ;D; I mean that certain something that all championship-level stars have. He's just not a big-game player.

One could counter that IT doesn't have "it" either, or at least that he has yet to demonstrate that he has "it," but to that I would say he's still relatively young and has only a couple of playoff series under his belt, and in both of those series he was the only highly skilled offensive player for the Celtics, making it easy for the opposition to focus on him and slow him down. I think this year's playoffs—with Horford and (hopefully) a healthy Bradley and Crowder—will give IT more opportunities, and will tell us whether IT has "it."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This actually makes a lot of sense to me, in terms of drafting Fultz or Ball. Paul can start the next 2 seasons and groom the young'un behind him and then take a seat. Meanwhile, I still see Paul as an upgrade on IT and we'd be selling high on IT if he's a guy we're going to have to part with inevitably (which isn't necessarily the case).

I'm surprised at everyone being so down on Chris Paul. Really the only concern I'd have with him is if he'd work with Brad Stevens' system where the ball is supposed to fly around the court. Paul likes to control the game. It might not work on that end.

I disagree on the Blake thing though. I think he and Horford would be great together. But I don't see Blake ever coming to Boston. He loves LA too much.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Absolutely not

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
God that's awful.