Author Topic: how important are team tryouts  (Read 1198 times)

how important are team tryouts
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
will fultz pull a simmons and not attend
 fultz picked a poor program again like simmons
fultz should show some competitive drive and compete

Re: how important are team tryouts
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Team workouts are important, but I would doubt if they'd even be the secondary piece of data in terms of making a decision.  Fultz has been heavily scouted for years, and teams have sat in in practices as well as games.  Making a decision based on a single day's workout, or lack thereof, is pretty short-sighted, barring him going Latrell Spreewell on a coach (which there's been no indication he'd ever do.)

As for his school choice -- Romar at Washington has consistently put less-heralded high school players into the NBA where they've gone into have at least some success.  The most notable is of course IT, but others include Terrence Ross (#48 ranked recruit), Marqueese Chriss (#56 ranked recruit), Dejounte Murray (#46), CJ Wilcox (#108), Quincy Pondexter (#48), Brandon Roy (#36).  All of those guys went on to become 1st round picks, despite none of them being even in the top 30 of their high school class.  He only ever had two top-10 recruits (Martell Webster and Spencer Hawes) but they both went in the 1st round as well.  He also got a few other guys from outside the top 50 into the 2nd round of the draft.  Consider how many top-20 recruits Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas get that don't ever make the 1st round, and it's clear that Romar's failing was not in player development, and as such, we shouldn't worry at all about Fultz. 

He was a terrible in-game coach.  As a friend of mine who is a big UW fan told me: "If you want someone to turn your son into a man, you want Lorenzo Romar.  If you want someone to make your son into a great basketball player, Romar can do that too.  If you want someone to win basketball games, go find someone else.  He'd miss the playoffs with the Warriors."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:21:49 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
TP-well written and factual post
didn't the celts bring marcus in twice and rumor had nobody wanted to come in against rozier
marcus came in and shot the three well

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
TP-well written and factual post
didn't the celts bring marcus in twice and rumor had nobody wanted to come in against rozier
marcus came in and shot the three well

Marcus, Rozier, and Jaylen were all brought in twice.  I'm not saying workouts aren't valued, but they are much more useful to separate guys who are a lot closer together.  I'm fairly certain the Celtics have Fultz a cut above the rest, and while they'd love to work him out, it won't deter them from picking him if he doesn't (and if he's even available when they pick.)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
As far as I know, Fultz is the favorite to go #1 (unless, maybe, the Lakers get the top pick) and if that's the case, he doesn't have a lot of incentive to do these work outs. If he's the favorite already, they could only conceivably hurt.

Maybe he goes and works out for the team that he really wants to go to in hopes he can ensure to get selected? Something like that. Otherwise, the smart business decision might be to just skip it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
On the flip side, I remember reading DA asked RJ Hunter to workout. RJ backed out
just after going to Toronto, saying he had a stomach bug. We know the rest.

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20150630/SPORTS/150639611
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:11:55 AM by Green-Bananas »