Author Topic: Draft2016:Ben Simmons vs Draft2017:Markelle Fultz - who's better for us?  (Read 4481 times)

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
To be quite honest, I'm not sure Simmons would go first in this draft.

We haven't seen the guy play in the tourney last year, no summer league, no NBA season. I still don't know if he can shoot from outside 8 feet.

Pretty sure he played summer ball last year, and he looked really good at times dishing the rock

https://youtu.be/eQAwDojUXOs

Those highlights from last summer league are amazing.  The passing alone is incredible, and after watching a good amount of Fultz this past year I'm inclined to believe that Simmons is a definitely better prospect.

After Summer League most around the league were very high on Simmons.  I watched a few Washington games and always came away unimpressed with Fultz.  Solid player no doubt, but I just don't see high end talent the way I do with Ball and Jackson this year, and Simmons last year.

I'm also wrong a lot, so take that FWIW.

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
What I love about Simmons is his ability to get the ball to players at their spots... similar to Horford. If we make that move... our new death lineup would be
5 - Horford
4 - KO (if he shoots the open shot)
3 - Simmons
2 - Bradley
1 - IT

The scoring of this lineup could rival the best of any team... and defensively they should be functional... switching out KO and moving Simmons to the 4 and bringing in Crowder/Brown at the 3 would make a more balanced lineup.... and if my wishes are ever granted and we land Griffin in FA this could actually be our second unit.... that's dynasty right there (at least on paper)

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28

We haven't seen the guy play in the tourney last year, no summer league, no NBA season. I still don't know if he can shoot from outside 8 feet.

Pretty sure he played summer ball last year, and he looked really good at times dishing the rock

Those highlights from last summer league are amazing.  The passing alone is incredible, and after watching a good amount of Fultz this past year I'm inclined to believe that Simmons is a definitely better prospect.

Yeah, the people hating on Simmons for basically no reason at all, have no idea what they're talking about.  Ben Simmons is a transformative player, and when he is paired up with Saric & Joel Embiid, they're going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I'd take Simmons over Fultz everyday of the week.

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Paul George or Jimmy Butler!

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
We need to prioritize front court talent because we simply cant defend any sort of athleticism at the 4 or 5... Its aggravating to get bullied by teams like the Bucks. If a team's star is over 6'5" we're screwed.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, the people hating on Simmons for basically no reason at all, have no idea what they're talking about.  Ben Simmons is a transformative player, and when he is paired up with Saric & Joel Embiid, they're going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I'd take Simmons over Fultz everyday of the week.
everyday of the week seems a bit much.

they seem like pretty equivalent prospects to me.

Fultz creates a log jam, but he also adresses a major need (shot creator)
Simmons addresses a major need (rebounding), but he's a 6'10 player with a foot injury.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm with Simmons.  Who knows which prospects pan out and which do not, but I think Simmons has the same potential as the top 3 picks in this draft.  Then there are two key things for me:

1.  Simmons plays PF and Fultz plays PG, which does address a need for right now, but that's not what I care about.  What I care about is that it seems the way the rules of the game are trending that PGs are getting better which makes getting a good one fairly easy to get.  I mean guys like Ricky Rubio and Jeff Teague can be had for very little lately.  This draft right in front of us goes super deep with guys like Fox and Smith looking like very truly high quality prospects beyond just Ball and Fultz... while there aren't hardly 4 NBA teams who even need a point guard.

2.  People talk about Simmons one weakness compared to Fultz' lack of any weakness.  The thing I see instead is that Simmons has one glaring strength, which is that he looks like he's going to be able to defend 3, maybe 4, maybe 5 positions in the NBA at a very high level.  So valuable in general, but maybe even more these days of switching pick and rolls.  I love that about him.  And with him being able to play point guard on offense while defending any position on the floor, it gives you so much freedom and different ways to build a team around him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm with Simmons.  Who knows which prospects pan out and which do not, but I think Simmons has the same potential as the top 3 picks in this draft.  Then there are two key things for me:

1.  Simmons plays PF and Fultz plays PG, which does address a need for right now, but that's not what I care about.  What I care about is that it seems the way the rules of the game are trending that PGs are getting better which makes getting a good one fairly easy to get.  I mean guys like Ricky Rubio and Jeff Teague can be had for very little lately.  This draft right in front of us goes super deep with guys like Fox and Smith looking like very truly high quality prospects beyond just Ball and Fultz... while there aren't hardly 4 NBA teams who even need a point guard.

2.  People talk about Simmons one weakness compared to Fultz' lack of any weakness.  The thing I see instead is that Simmons has one glaring strength, which is that he looks like he's going to be able to defend 3, maybe 4, maybe 5 positions in the NBA at a very high level.  So valuable in general, but maybe even more these days of switching pick and rolls.  I love that about him.  And with him being able to play point guard on offense while defending any position on the floor, it gives you so much freedom and different ways to build a team around him.
This is the first time Ive ever seen someone list Simmons defense as his greatest strength.

His passing and rebounding are much more impressive to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

This is the first time Ive ever seen someone list Simmons defense as his greatest strength.

His passing and rebounding are much more impressive to me.
Yeah, that is probably true.  OK, so he has several strengths then.   ;D   I just really like the defense and the flexibility in roster construction.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur