Author Topic: Time to rest IT  (Read 2149 times)

Time to rest IT
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Congrats to the C's on overtaking the #1 seed, now I think it's time to realize that finishing 1st or 2nd is not that important in the grand scheme of things.
IT has played 68 games this season and is averaging over 34 MPG. Come playoff time defensive intensity picks up and he is likely going to be drawing double teams similar to last playoffs. I think it's time to rest the little guy to prepare him for the playoffs. I know the concept of resting players is taboo right now in the NBA but I think it's imperative he is ready to go especially considering the back courts he can potentially face come playoff time. Even if we draw Indiana in round 1 that is no cakewalk for the little guy, Teague has played him tough the past few years especially last year in in round 1.
I'm not saying rest every game, just those we can probably win without him. Horford and Bradley have missed some time this season so they should be good. Crowder is a physical freak and won't draw the same defensive schemes IT will so I think he should be good.. It's just IT I worry about. If it costs us the #1 seed, so be it.

Games I think we could still win with him on the bench:
Knicks
Orlando
Nets
Hawks - back to back with Cleveland being the night before
and the home Bucks game depending on whats on the line.

Re: Time to rest IT
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
IT is 27th in minutes per game and 32nd in minutes played this year, in comparison Lebron is 2nd in minutes per game and 11th in total minutes played. John Wall and Bradley Beal are 6th and 17th respectively in minutes per game 5th and 20th respectively in total minutes played. Lowry and Derozan are 1st and 11th respectively in minutes per game, Derozan 24th in total minutes Lowry obviously lower due to his lengthy injury.

Brad has shown the ability to keeps players rested while still playing in the games better than our competition. He knows how to manage the team on a night to night basis to keep guys rested while winning close games and chasing the one seed. IT seems like the kind of guy that could get close to leading the league in minutes due to his size and importance to the team so the fact he is so low shows how great Brad manages games.

In conclusion and to quote Bill Walton, I completely disagree.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think it's worth it to play him and go for the #1 seed.  We have a shot at getting to the finals, but I think only if we have home court.  I'm usually in favor of resting guys, but I think home court advantage is more important in this situation.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
IT is 27th in minutes per game and 32nd in minutes played this year, in comparison Lebron is 2nd in minutes per game and 11th in total minutes played. John Wall and Bradley Beal are 6th and 17th respectively in minutes per game 5th and 20th respectively in total minutes played. Lowry and Derozan are 1st and 11th respectively in minutes per game, Derozan 24th in total minutes Lowry obviously lower due to his lengthy injury.

Brad has shown the ability to keeps players rested while still playing in the games better than our competition. He knows how to manage the team on a night to night basis to keep guys rested while winning close games and chasing the one seed. IT seems like the kind of guy that could get close to leading the league in minutes due to his size and importance to the team so the fact he is so low shows how great Brad manages games.

/thread basically.

I don't think IT needs to be rested at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No way, this is the absolute worst time to rest our superstar.  Home court advantage throughout the playoffs is worth fighting for.  Cavs are self-destructing, let's get that #1 seed!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

End of story

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
No way, this is the absolute worst time to rest our superstar.  Home court advantage throughout the playoffs is worth fighting for.  Cavs are self-destructing, let's get that #1 seed!

While not as dramatic as last year, the Cavs definitely played poorly down the stretch and the media had similar reactions last season. This is just what Cleveland does, they'll be a force come playoff time. And Lebrons "injury" last night probably bought him another 3-4 games on the bench before playoffs start.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Nah, we arent even secured of 2nd place yet. Plus we need to build some sort of momentum and chemistry since our guys had so many games missed together.

Id like to keep his minutes down to 30 as much as possible though, which means we should put away teams early.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As long as it's been a problem not closing games early and playing our starters until the end, I agree with everyone except the OP.

We need to get the number 1 seed to increase a little bit our options to advance as much as possible in the playoffs. Also, it will be very attractive for free agents knowing we've been the best team in the East this regular season. Finally, if we rest a player a week before postseason, we may take a risk of him not getting into rhythm again.

However, closing games in the third quarter would have a double benefit. Our starters would play just around 25 minutes and less used players such as Jerebko, Gerald or Rozier would be with game intensity if needed in playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
2nd or 1st seed matters. I really don't want to face the Wizards in the second round. Also, make a statement over Cleveland. They are not confident right now, add pressure. IT is a warrior he will be ok. I don't mean he should play 39 min a game, but play him start him and maybe bench him if we're ffar ahead on score.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
TP

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It has been 2 days that IT is resting.
That will happen again next monday and next tuesday.
Our schedule make our players rest just fine before the playoffs.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Isaiah Thomas is a bit of a ****. But he gets to be. Dude has being dealing with people who doubt his greatness, his mad handle, his how-the-trucking-hell-did-you-finish-that-layup...you-wont-be-able-to-do-that-at-the-next-level crepe bullscript. I'm all in on this kid trying to do something truly insane which is winning a chip with all the accoutrements of "why he can't". Anyone who says it is a two horse race is selling the dude short (pardon pun).

Dude does whatever he wants, never seen him even an inch tired.

He wants to rest, fine. Dude wants to play, ah, yeah, go for it homie. Win a chip, I ****ing dare you.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I wouldn't rest him but I would cut his minutes. I would start working in more of our 6-9 guys to see who's going to be in the rotation.

Seed is still important because you don't want a dog fight in the 1st round.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
You only have one back to back left the rest of the way.  Not a brutal stretch by any means.  He should be fine.  Plus who knows that the standings will look like come the week of April 10th.  Celtics might be at a point where a seeding is locked up.  Then you can start thinking about limited minutes or even a night off.  Until then, I don't see the need.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team