Author Topic: So, if Cleveland stays in 2nd behind Boston, does Toronto tank to stay in 4th?  (Read 3084 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
This is something I've been worried about for awhile now. If we look to have a secure hold on the first seed, could Toronto purposefully tank to stay in the fourth seed to face Boston rather than Cleveland in the second round? That wouldn't be ideal for us, because we have a much better chance against Washington than Toronto, even with home court advantage with both series.

Their first round opponent could come into play, too, but it's so tight right now that there's no telling who they'll potentially play.

So what do you think?

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
It's too tricky, the gaps between us and Cleveland, and Toronto and Washington are too close to try to tank to manipulate.

At the moment though we are on track to play Miami in the 1st round. I would be more worried that we don't make it to round 2.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If you're already focusing on your potential second-round matchup with over 2 weeks left in the season, you are likely setting yourself up for a first round failure.  The Bucks seem to be the most likely 5-seed at this point, and Toronto would be well-served to avoid them.

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Solid point, but they will have to play Cleveland at some point - be it in the 2nd round or ECF. They might as well get it over with and also go into the playoffs playing well.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Well the bucks could beat the raptors and was could beat the cavs. Both teams wont be pushovers but i feel more confident against them than the raptors or cavs.

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
I would hope the Celtics avoid Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks (when Millsap becomes healthy) in the first-rounds.

I wouldn't worry about Cleveland until the last of the East playoffs. The Raptors are also tough customers so don't overlook them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I would hope the Celtics avoid Miami Heat and Atlanta Hawks (when Millsap becomes healthy) in the first-rounds.

I wouldn't worry about Cleveland until the last of the East playoffs. The Raptors are also tough customers so don't overlook them.

I agree with you on all counts, but there is probably something to be said for developing a collective mindset that a) the first round opponent doesn't matter, b) the primary goal is to work hard and improve incrementally, day by day, without as much focus on the outcome, potential match-ups, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:05:14 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think it comes down to this.  Focus on what we can control.   Karma is a mean son of a you know what.   Don't worry about things that can't be controlled.   Who ever we face hopefully we will be ready to defend home court.   
Diggles

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think it comes down to this.  Focus on what we can control.   Karma is a mean son of a you know what.   Don't worry about things that can't be controlled.   Who ever we face hopefully we will be ready to defend home court.

Completely agree.
Just play your best and hope for no more injuries..
Injuries played a strong influence last yr why we didn't make it past round one so hopefully we are just fully healthy this time and I like our chances all the way to the Finals baby.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
If Toronto does this I'll just laugh. Yeah they're a tough matchup but purposely tanking is weak sauce. If they want the C's bad enough to do that then bring it on.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I really don't get all this fear of first round opponents. People would be scard of being knocked out by Miami? Come on man! You can't talk about being good enough to win the number one seed and getting knocked out by a team sneaking into the playoffs in the same breath. Miami are playing well but they match up poorly with us.

There are only 2 teams to challenge is, Cleveland and Toronto, both who we struggle against. When healthy, none of the others teams bother us.

On topic, any team is toying with fate of they try to fix their seeding.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it would be a pretty stupid move for the coaches and players of the Raptors to purposely lose games to stay in the 4th position this close to the playoffs. Losing begets losing and getting into a we-need-to-lose mode this close to the playoffs could follow the Raps into the post season and cost the them by losing in the first round.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:08:11 AM by nickagneta »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Double post

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I believe the top-4 in the East will be doing everything possible to win (save for the Cavs resting down the stretch.) Ideally, we probably want the standings to end up as Boston, Toronto, Cleveland, Washington. That way we avoid Toronto and give Cleveland the toughest road possible, wearing them down as much as possible prior to the ECF.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously you take it one series at a time.

But it's amazing how it's March 28 and we're thinking about the best path to legitimately make the Finals LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller