Author Topic: Report: Kings got permission to talk to Hinkie; looking to replace Divac  (Read 2583 times)

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Given how bad the Kings have been at drafting, adding someone like Hinkie makes a lot of sense.  He really only missed on Okafor and pretty much everyone would have selected Okafor in that same situation anyway.  Pretty solid draft record for Hinkie and the Kings have been down right terrible at drafting.  Seems like a good fit to me.

What picks do you feel show his skill as a solid drafter?

In my view, taking the consensus player at the top of the draft takes little skill. 

And, FWIW, none of his draft picks have actually panned out. 

Noel is the only one who currently projects as a career starter, and even his situation was bungled thanks to the poor construction of players Hinkie chose to put around.  If you aren't good at the craft of player evaluation, you could easily end up with the next Greg Oden or Michael Beasley or Derrick Coleman...

In my opinion, as bad as his drafting was -- his team building was worse.  He was unable to sense the shift away from post-up bigs and he was also unable to recognize guard talent, young or vet, throughout his tenure at Philly.  And worse, the players he DID keep he failed woefully in setting them up for success. 

I can't think of one redeemable thing about Hinkie, the more I think about it.  Am I wrong?

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Given how bad the Kings have been at drafting, adding someone like Hinkie makes a lot of sense.  He really only missed on Okafor and pretty much everyone would have selected Okafor in that same situation anyway.  Pretty solid draft record for Hinkie and the Kings have been down right terrible at drafting.  Seems like a good fit to me.

What picks do you feel show his skill as a solid drafter?

In my view, taking the consensus player at the top of the draft takes little skill. 

And, FWIW, none of his draft picks have actually panned out. 

Noel is the only one who currently projects as a career starter, and even his situation was bungled thanks to the poor construction of players Hinkie chose to put around.  If you aren't good at the craft of player evaluation, you could easily end up with the next Greg Oden or Michael Beasley or Derrick Coleman...

In my opinion, as bad as his drafting was -- his team building was worse.  He was unable to sense the shift away from post-up bigs and he was also unable to recognize guard talent, young or vet, throughout his tenure at Philly.  And worse, the players he DID keep he failed woefully in setting them up for success. 

I can't think of one redeemable thing about Hinkie, the more I think about it.  Am I wrong?
I think he did an excellent of job of drafting players and/or finding hidden gems.  The amount of 2nd round picks he was able to find that have had respectable enough careers (let alone even played in the league) is pretty astounding when you think about it. 

These are the 2nd round picks or undrafted free agents he signed (in order of move)
Hollis Thompson
Jakarr Sampson
Jerami Grant
KJ McDaniels
Willy Hernangomez
Richaun Holmes
TJ McConnell

This of course doesn't include Robert Covington (who had previously played for the Rockets), and the same with guys like Ish Smith who he claimed off waivers. 

Then you have the masterful trade of Holiday for Noel and next years 1st, which ended up 10, which he then traded back two spots and picked up another 1st (as well as the 2nd that was Hernangomez).  That was of course Saric, who is obviously an excellent pick.  Noel was a great pick.  MCW was a flawed player but the rookie of the year, who he then sold high on knowing the limitations.  It was risky to take Embiid at 3 given the injury, but probably the right pick.  Okafor is the one that is tricky.   

Hinkie certainly lacked the team building in his stint, but I don't think they were quite at the team building stage when he was there.  That was last summer, which Colangelo tried to do with Henderson, Bayless, and Rodriguez, of course those seemed to be a bit of a fail, with someone like Stauskas out performing all of them (another brilliant Hinkie trade).  And he certainly created some issues with Embiid, Noel, and Okafor, but I think a lot of that was brought on by Embiid's 2nd surgery.  Had he been healthy I don't think the Sixers take Okafor, but Embiid going under the knife again put so much uncertainty that I think they felt they had to take Okafor (who was certainly considered a top 2 or 3 prospect in that draft).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
My fave trivia about Ranadive is that he wrote How We Succeed by Anticipating the Future (yep, it's a book)

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Moranis, I'd disagree about Henderson, but yeah Bayless and Rodriguez have given us very little.