Author Topic: If not BOS, what team would you like to see win the lottery?  (Read 4156 times)

If not BOS, what team would you like to see win the lottery?
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Gun to your head and you must choose. The way I see it..

teams I won't mind seeing
Knicks
The Knicks have been a dumpster fire of an organization for 17 years. They handled the Charles Oakley situation just about as bad as they could. Their GM appears to be trolling their best player out of town; and it's safe to say the Rose/Noah signings will just be another abysmal chapter for the Knicks, who are the all time greats at signing players 5 years past when you would want them. something needs to go right for New York. It's making me nauceous that I'm actually starting to develope sympathy for a New York fan base. Also, from a basketball standpoint, Fultz + Porzngiz would be a lot of fun to watch together..dare I say they have Kobe/Shaq potential as a one two punch?

Pelicans
It would be interesting to see what Fultz or Ball could do with a Davis/Cosuins front court. Along with the ugliest name in the NBA, the Pels may have the ugliest back court rotation, on paper, in recent memory. And if Jrue Holiday leaves, which he very well may, things are going to be bad in Norleans. They only keep their pick if it lands in the top three, so it isn't all that likely of a scenario.

Mavericks
Dallas is about to lose the only player that has ever really meant anything to that franchise. Aside from Mark Cubans blabber mouth, I've always had a soft spot for the Mavs. Fultz/Ball would be the best PG's to play on that team for a long time. Either of those guys + Barnes + Noel ain't a bad group to start over with at all. Time for Dirk to pass the torch!

teams I'd hate to see win it
Lakers
T'Wolves
76'ers

i don't care at all
Magic
Suns

Re: If not BOS, what team would you like to see win the lottery?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
The Kings:
Would be fun to watch them go from raggy riches (boogie) to rags (Hield) to riches (Hield + Fultz/Ball) over the course of a few months. It will also be fun to play the "What If?" game? What if the trade never happens? What if they traded Boogie for X instead of Hield. What if Hield and Fultz/Ball cannot play at the same time? It would also be fun to watch the whiplash Kings fans experience as they rally behind their new player and it slowly becomes apparent that the Kings management is gonna **** up another top talent in the league. The reason that it'll never happen? Fultz and Ball arn't Big Men.

Adam Silver:  "And with the first pick of the 2017 NBA DRAFT, the Sacremento Kings select...Lauri Markkanen! Wait. What? That cant be real. Are you F-ing kidding? VLADEEEEEEE!!!!"

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Definitely not the Knicks. Too strong of a free agent magnet city to give them so much as an inch. And in our division!  No way.  The league might just fix the lotto for them (again) anyway.

Dallas, yes. N'awlins, okay.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The Kings:
Would be fun to watch them go from raggy riches (boogie) to rags (Hield) to riches (Hield + Fultz/Ball) over the course of a few months. It will also be fun to play the "What If?" game? What if the trade never happens? What if they traded Boogie for X instead of Hield. What if Hield and Fultz/Ball cannot play at the same time? It would also be fun to watch the whiplash Kings fans experience as they rally behind their new player and it slowly becomes apparent that the Kings management is gonna **** up another top talent in the league. The reason that it'll never happen? Fultz and Ball arn't Big Men.

Adam Silver:  "And with the first pick of the 2017 NBA DRAFT, the Sacremento Kings select...Lauri Markkanen! Wait. What? That cant be real. Are you F-ing kidding? VLADEEEEEEE!!!!"

You know that if they win the lottery then they have to swap picks with the sixers right?

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Suns, then Pelicans.

Mavs I suppose

I'd be indifferent with Wolves, Magic, Sixers.

Knicks would be lame.

I'd flip a table if it's the [dang] Lakers.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I'm going to use a bit different logic here. I'm going to pick the teams that I'd prefer to win the lottery if the C's do not per how I think it'd benefit the C's the most. For the record, my top-4 are Fultz, Jackson/Tatum (interchangeable), Ball.

Teams I'd like to see win the lottery if the C's don't:

Lakers - Two reasons here. First, if they win the lottery, then it denies the Sixers another pick in this draft, which I think is big for us. And if the Lakers end up falling to fourth or worse, there's a good chance that the Sixers were one of the two teams to jump the Lakers. If the Sixers would have something like the second and fourth pick in this draft, they could create a ridiculous backcourt to pair with their frontcourt and complete the holes on their roster with two of Fultz/Ball/Jackson/Monk/Fox, or they could even try and trade one of them for a Butler-type and pick someone like Fox with the fourth pick. So there's reason to want the Lakers over Philly to have the pick.

Second, I can see Magic really buying into the Ball/LA/Showtime Lakers connection/appeal and picking him first, which would be great for us since it leaves us two (in my mind) superior prospects in Fultz and Jackson. They also already have several young guard prospects as it is in Russell, Clarkson, and even Ingram, who plays a lot at the 2 right now due to his size, and I could see that influencing Magic away from Fultz.

Phoenix - To me, I think Phoenix is much more likely to take Jackson or Ball than Fultz, because I'm not sure that they want to pair Fultz with Booker, who are both similar, score-first players that will probably both need a high percentage of touches and shots. Fultz is a more ideal pairing due to his talent of passing and getting others involved, while Jackson would seemingly fit well between Booker and Chriss at the 3.

Orlando - It's well-known and on the record that the Magic GM regards Payton very highly, so I think they'd seemingly want to pick a wing before a guard, especially having Hezonja and Fournier, too. Jackson would be a good fit for them at the 3 between Hezonja/Fournier and Gordon at the 4.

Minnesota - They just picked Dunn and have Rubio/Lavine already, and they need a wing next to Wiggins and/or Towns badly. A Dunn/Lavine, Wiggins, Jackson, Towns, and Dieng core is ridiculous. I could also see them moving down and taking Tatum, too, who would be a good fit next to Towns long-term. I bet they'd try their best to trade their pick for Butler first off, but I can see them taking either Jackson or Tatum before Ball or Fultz.

Teams that I DON'T want to see win the lottery if the C's don't:

Philly/New York/Sacramento - For sure I don't want to see the former two win it, since I think Fultz would be at the top of both of their lists, but Sacramento could want to pair Fultz with Hield, too, though they're just as likely to take a surprise big first overall as anything.

And I didn't realize that New York is now tied for the fourth worst record!

EDIT: TOtally forgot about the pick swap with Sacramento, too! So, yeah, definitely don't want them winning the lottery and gifting them another first pick.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:25:20 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel
The Kings:

You know that if they win the lottery then they have to swap picks with the sixers right?

So much for fun. When did the NBA become anti-fun?
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
The Timberwolves. If it weren't for them, the Celtics could very well trail the Lakers in championships. Worse yet, they haven't been able to re-capture the glory days of old with KG. They really could use another guard since Dunn has not worked out and he might at best be a serviceable starting guard or quality bench player.

I'm rooting for them because they deserve a break after how incompetent their management has been for all these years.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lakers for all the reasons jpotter listed above. TP jp
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:31:00 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
The Kings:

So much for fun. When did the NBA become anti-fun?

Since Sam Hinkie introduced "The Process".

BTW, hated to be the buzzkill there. I would love that scenario. Unfortunately, it's impossible.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 07:22:23 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

Since Sam Hinkie introduced "The Process".

BTW, hated to be the buzzkill there. I would love that scenario. Unfortunately, it's impossible.

It was already impossible. No way the Kings draft a guard. They already have like 3 of those on the roster.
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
It would be beyond hilarious if the pelicans got a top 3 pick. Would mean they essentially gave up Cousins for Hield

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Definitely not the Knicks. Too strong of a free agent magnet city to give them so much as an inch. And in our division!  No way.  The league might just fix the lotto for them (again) anyway.

The Knicks are also the big market team most in need of favor, though.  If the lotto is as fixed as I think it is, NYK will snag the #1 pick (half joking). 

But another way of looking at it: The Lakers have the potential to attract major FAs in the near future that can be teamed with some promising young talent.  If NYK becomes a stronger FA threat, it may reduce the likelihood that LAL stacks up in a big way.

In response to the OP, I need to know how many bullets are in the chamber of this hypothetical gun.  I'm personally willing to go to great lengths for a Markelle Fultz party.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:38:48 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love the Wolves young core. Seeing them add another top young guy would be pretty sick.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The Knicks are also the big market team most in need of favor, though.  If the lotto is as fixed as I think it is, NYK will snag the #1 pick (half joking). 

But another way of looking at it: The Lakers have the potential to attract major FAs in the near future that can be teamed with some promising young talent.  If NYK becomes a stronger FA threat, it may reduce the likelihood that LAL stacks up in a big way.

In response to the OP, I need to know how many bullets are in the chamber of this hypothetical gun.  I'm personally willing to go to great lengths for a Markelle Fultz party.

My preference is to beat the snot out of a crap Knicks team 4x/yr and get reasonably priced tickets in NYC due to the atrophy of their fan base if I should choose to visit NY to rub it in.

And to also beat the snot out of the lakers...in the Finals, when the victory is most sweet.

So pretty much the opposite of the more purist anti-Laker viewpoint.