Author Topic: The Lakers are tanking for #1 draft pick odds...  (Read 2366 times)

The Lakers are tanking for #1 draft pick odds...
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
The Lakers, according to NBA.com's power rankings (they're currently dead last), are tanking for the #1 lottery odds (which the Celtics currently have as Brooklyn traded us their first round pick this season). The Nets have one of the easiest remaining schedules left, went 8-9 in March and have won 2 of their last 3 so they might end up getting enough wins to not have the worst record in the league (if the Lakers lose their remaining games). Are the Lakers really this salty that we have Brooklyn's pick? Would a high draft pick change the losing culture currently plaguing the Staples Center (and I'm not talking about the Clippers, haha)?? If the Lakers do come in dead last wouldn't it be an awesome year to win it all for bragging rights??? Your thoughts???(?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:20:43 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

Re: The Lakers are tanking for #1 draft pick odds...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There are so many threads on this already.  And the Lakers are tanking because they only get the pick if it is in the top 3 so if they have the #1 odds, the chance they lose the pick is pretty small. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There are so many threads on this already.  And the Lakers are tanking because they only get the pick if it is in the top 3 so if they have the #1 odds, the chance they lose the pick is pretty small.

Well, it would still be about a 1 in 3 chance of losing the pick if they had the worst record.  Definitely a big improvement over being the second worst team (with a near 1 in 2 chance of losing it), though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:32:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Well, it would still be about a 1 in 3 chance of losing the pick if they had the worst record.  Definitely a big improvement over being the second worst team (with a near 1 in 2 chance of losing it), though

I know I have seen these odds before and forgotten them, but it strikes me as insane that the worst team in the league still has a 35% chance going 4th. I think it should only be like 15%. That is not great odds.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I know I have seen these odds before and forgotten them, but it strikes me as insane that the worst team in the league still has a 35% chance going 4th. I think it should only be like 15%. That is not great odds.

So much is pinned in the draft forum these days but we pinned this chart from FWF last year.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=83199.0

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Celtics is Barack Obama, that scary nightmare hunting the dreams of Donald Trump aka Lakers. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I just pray Magic Johnson takes Ball .

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Celtics is Barack Obama, that scary nightmare hunting the dreams of Donald Trump aka Lakers.

Really? ::)

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There is nothing we can really do about this. It stinks, but the Lakers are highly motivated to lose out their remaining string while the Nets are not.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

::)

Oh yeah, this really makes sense.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Really? ::)

LOL!!

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Why would he do that?  Take one of the other players and sign Ball when he comes running to LA when his rookie deals up
Greg

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
... What??
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
... What??
So the Spurs are Bush, right?

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Why would he do that?  Take one of the other players and sign Ball when he comes running to LA when his rookie deals up
Because Ball cant/wont "run to LA" following his rookie year.

Not drafting a player because you will have a marginal advantage to sign him as a FA in 9 years would be mindbogglingly stupid.

Remember when Laker fan Paul Pierce bolted to the Lakers after his rookie contract?

how about Demar Derozan? wasnt Westbrook supposed to be a Laker by now?

everybody and their brother is "going to bolt to LA" then [dang] near all of them dont.

This year the Laker allure got them Mozgov and Deng.

sick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.