Author Topic: It's Official - The Las Vegas Raiders  (Read 4462 times)

It's Official - The Las Vegas Raiders
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: It's Official - The Las Vegas Raiders
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't think any team in a major sport would ever be allowed to move to Vegas due to the concerns of gambling influencing the sport (more than it already does).

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
didn't think any team in a major sport would ever be allowed to move to Vegas due to the concerns of gambling influencing the sport (more than it already does).
"I'm shocked, shocked to hear that gambling is ongoing in this establishment!"
- Casablanca

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's only a matter of time now until they get an NBA team, and that team will become a top free agent destination.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:53:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's only a matter of time now until they get an NBA team, and that team will become a top free agent destination.
Sure because top free agents will want to waste the reminder of their careers on an expansion club with no hope of winning a title.   ;D

Point is that weather is no longer the dominating factor.  We are back to winning, what a concept.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
NHL already approved a team.  NFL is now #2. 

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Golden Knights didn't relocate.  They're expansion.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The one remaining question:

Why does Mark Davis have a coif like a 6-year-old kid?

Man, those Davis men and their hair ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Golden Knights didn't relocate.  They're expansion.
I know and I know he said move, but for his overall theme, an expansion team is basically the same thing as a relocation (i.e. gambling).

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
It's only a matter of time now until they get an NBA team.

If this is true, hopefully it's a relocation—the NBA already has a couple dozen players who don't belong in the league.

As for Vegas being home to pro sports teams, clearly the idea of making money is much more important than any concerns about illegal gambling. To me, Vegas just doesn't seem like a sports town. "Golden Knights" sounds like a low-low-minor-league team, and "Raiders" doesn't say "Vegas" to me at all.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If this is true, hopefully it's a relocation—the NBA already has a couple dozen players who don't belong in the league.

As for Vegas being home to pro sports teams, clearly the idea of making money is much more important than any concerns about illegal gambling. To me, Vegas just doesn't seem like a sports town. "Golden Knights" sounds like a low-low-minor-league team, and "Raiders" doesn't say "Vegas" to me at all.

I have a feeling Vegas and Seattle get expansion teams right around the time the next media deal is being negotiated.  Vegas has a metro population of nearly 2 million, and has more than doubled in size since 1990.

And the quality of players has increased at a much faster rate than has the number of teams.  The league won't be hurt for an extra 30 bodies in the league.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I have a feeling Vegas and Seattle get expansion teams right around the time the next media deal is being negotiated.  Vegas has a metro population of nearly 2 million, and has more than doubled in size since 1990.

And the quality of players has increased at a much faster rate than has the number of teams.  The league won't be hurt for an extra 30 bodies in the league.

I think it will be hurt. In fact, I'd like to see the NBA eliminate a couple of teams.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think it will be hurt. In fact, I'd like to see the NBA eliminate a couple of teams.

There were 27 teams in 1990, when the US population was 250 million.  Now there are 30 teams and the population is 315 million.  So while the population has grown 25%, the number of NBA players has grown about 11%.  Furthermore, the game has greatly expanded internationally, meaning that there is an even greater pool of talent to draw from than merely accounting for population growth alone.  Basketball has also seen an uptick in popularity, meaning there are enough fans to support the extra teams.

Two more teams would be just fine.  Reducing teams would be a significant loss.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Two more teams would be just fine.  Reducing teams would be a significant loss.

Not to mention a peeved off player's union.