Poll

Who do you want to see in the first and second rounds?

First Round: Miami
3 (14.3%)
First Round: Indiana
5 (23.8%)
First Round: Charlotte
4 (19%)
First Round: Detroit
6 (28.6%)
First Round: Chicago
3 (14.3%)
First Round: Atlanta
0 (0%)
First Round: Milwaukee
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Poll: Who do you want to see in the first round? BPI Simulations weigh in.  (Read 1000 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/846413895464079360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

BPI Simulations suggest the following win percentages should we meet with each team in the first round:

Miami - 16% chance of meeting; 74% chance Boston wins

Charlotte - 3% chance of meeting; 72% chance Boston wins

Detroit - 9% chance of meeting; 78% chance Boston wins

Atlanta - 21% chance of meeting; 79% chance Boston wins

Indiana - 25% chance of meeting; 78% chance Boston wins

Milwaukee - 25% chance of meeting; 77% chance Boston wins

Chicago - 24% chance of meeting; 78% chance Boston wins

So BPI suggests we're most likely to meet one of Atlanta, Indiana, Milwaukee, or Chicago in the first round, and there's between a 77-79% chance we beat each team. So it doesn't seem like first round opponent should be of that much concern to us.

However, the same is NOT true of the second round. We're much more likely to beat Washington, according to BPI, than Toronto:

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/846414213505536000/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Washington - 31% chance of meeting; 65% chance Boston wins

Toronto - 43% chance of meeting; only a 46% chance Boston wins

I think this generally supports what most people feel about matchups on here.

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I really don't see all the hype of getting the 1st seed. If we bump the Cavs down to the 2nd, we put them on cruise control in a bracket with the Pacers, Bucks, and Wizards. While we end up with the Heat, Hawks, and Raptors. I'd MUCH rather take the 2 seed and the easier bracket.

Dream Scenario would be Pacers in the 1st, Wizards in the 2nd, Cavs in the ECF. Cavs are beaten up by Heat and Raptors and we might have a chance at them.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I really don't see all the hype of getting the 1st seed. If we bump the Cavs down to the 2nd, we put them on cruise control in a bracket with the Pacers, Bucks, and Wizards. While we end up with the Heat, Hawks, and Raptors. I'd MUCH rather take the 2 seed and the easier bracket.

Dream Scenario would be Pacers in the 1st, Wizards in the 2nd, Cavs in the ECF. Cavs are beaten up by Heat and Raptors and we might have a chance at them.

The Raptors are almost guaranteed to surpass the Wizards for the 3rd seed the rest of the way. The Wizards' schedule is much more difficult, and Toronto outright owns the tiebreaker being only one game back. So getting the 1 seed probably keeps us away from the Raptors/Cavs until the ECF at the earliest, which is ideal.

As for the first round matchup, it's still way too early to tell who will be where with how close everyone is from 5-10.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I think we will finish 1/2 game to 1 game behind LeBron and finish about the same in front of Washington .

I think we ll 2 nd I the East .

We will see either Bucks or Heat

I thinking Bucks are going to be our opponent. ......with Middleton they are ALOT better team......we have to have a completely healthy starting five ....including Bradley who we should sit ...just to protect his fragile being.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think we will finish 1/2 game to 1 game behind LeBron and finish about the same in front of Washington .

you cant finish a half game behind anyone
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

Ok ..thanks I did not realize that !

We d be better off I think match up if we are going to be the second seed.  Just a guess.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

You can. It's just unlikely.
CELTICS 2024

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

This is true.  The only example I can think of is when the Pacers finished 1/2 game behind the Nets in 2013 (the Pacers only played 81 games due to their late-season game against us being canceled after the marathon bombings)
I'm bitter.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

This is true.  The only example I can think of is when the Pacers finished 1/2 game behind the Nets in 2013 (the Pacers only played 81 games due to their late-season game against us being canceled after the marathon bombings)
2 games have been canceled in the last 20 years.

One was the pistons  pacers brawl and one was Celtics Pacers.

I dont think its worth discussing.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.