Author Topic: Tell me why we don't get bounced in the first round?  (Read 3786 times)

Re: Tell me why we don't get bounced in the first round?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I know for a fact, I don't want to play Miami in the 1st round.
I know for a fact that I would rather play Miami than Atlanta!!! C's can't beat Atlanta!

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I know for a fact, I don't want to play Miami in the 1st round.

We swept them in the regular season. Is there something in particular you're scared of? Would you rather face the Bulls (2-2 against Boston this year)?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Yes, I'd rather play the Bulls. They're floundering and without DWade.

Have you seen Miami's record since January?

I believe we would beat them but you don't want your first round to be nip and tuck. You want to race through that series to save your legs. The 2nd round and ECF vs teams like Toronto or Wiz is where we'll need to be sharp and fresh.

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
in my honest opinion, my only wish is to see the Cs get out of the 1st round with potential to reach the ECF. I don't want to set a very high expectation just to be disappointed. I am very happy that the Celtics are improving year by year and if they can get out of the 1st round I am happy enough. I want to be able to see us win at least 2 games in the 2nd round with potentially winning the 2nd round

As much as the Cavs are struggling recently, I am still using them as a measuring stick as to how far we are from reaching the finals, and I would say if we are good enough to reach the ECF and be able to take a game or two away from them, hell I would even say "not get swept" by the Cavs, I would be extremely happy.

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Yes, I'd rather play the Bulls. They're floundering and without DWade.

Have you seen Miami's record since January?

I believe we would beat them but you don't want your first round to be nip and tuck. You want to race through that series to save your legs. The 2nd round and ECF vs teams like Toronto or Wiz is where we'll need to be sharp and fresh.

In Brad's post game interview he mentioned how they use James Johnson and how that makes a matchup nightmare for teams. That and the fact they have been healthy are the two biggest reasons for their success since January.

However it doesn't make me fear them any more. Tell me the last time Whiteside made a difference in our games against him? Dragic gets beaten by Thomas in every matchup. We can go small to matchup with them and it actually succeeds, unlike in matchups with the Bulls or Milwaukee. We are very effective against their style of play.

I don't think it matters who we play in the first round, I think we will win. There is no team we should be happier to face than the heat however

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
1)  Better & deeper than last year's team

2)  Better seed, thus lesser opponent

3)  Home court

4) Younger guys have another year of experience under their belt.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Probably just reiterating what others have said but:

• Superstar player who torches almost all defences he comes up against
  • Some of the most elite wing defenders in the entire NBA
  • A very high seed (perhaps even #1) so will likely come up against a weak opponent
  • One of the best coaches in the NBA

As well as stuff like how our main big man is a triple double threat every night and we have some of the most competitive and fiery guys in the league.

I think you might be overthinking our problems a little bit.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I guess I'll summarize my feelings with this.

I really don't care who we face in the first round.

I believe the Cs are going to win no matter who they face. Last year they were a 48 win team who got unlucky in a tiebreaker so they didn't get home court. Then they got exceptionally unlucky losing Bradley (after Crowder was only 1/2 speed anyway) in the very first game of the series. If Bradley doesn't go down the Cs win that series.

This year we have a better team, more confidence, more maturity, more experience and home court advantage. I don't care who we face, I think we'll win and do so in 6 games or fewer. So bring on Miami. Bring on Chicago. Bring on Atlanta. It doesn't matter.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Last year the Hawks were able to shut down the C's by shifting the defense towards Isaiah and packing the paint so that we had to beat them by hitting 3's. Boston wasn't able to do this because 3 of our best 3 point shooters were injured (Crowder, Bradley and Olynyk). Essentially we lost because we were a bad 3 point shooting team that was made worse due to injury.

Last year we were 28th in 3 point percentage, this year we are 15th. We are much better equipped to deal with the defense that stopped us in the playoffs last year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Last year first round: No Avery Bradley or Al Horford
This year first round: Avery Bradley and Al Horford (hopefully)

This year's team is last year's team, but we actually have our second and third-best players and we will have home court advantage. Coincidentally, if we do end up with Atlanta, you can add the fact that one of their best players left for us.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I look at the potential first round matchups and can see some 6 or 7 game series. Miami/Boston would be a hell of a series for one. I can't see anyone beating the C's there though. They are just better than any of those teams.

If you look around the internet a lot people think this team is a fluke. I can understand some of that reasoning because they play almost everyone close. On the flip side they can also hang with anyone. Until this group wins a playoff series or two this will just be the way it is. I personally feel confident against anyone in the East outside of Cleveland and Toronto.

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Celtics are 14-4 against teams in the 5-10 spots.  On the whole, while we've had a few close games here and there, we've consistently beaten these teams all season.  There is no real reason to worry.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
If some team has a way to stop IT why not use in regular season?
There are no special weapons for playoff.
The only difference is teams will try harder and be more aggressive.
I can see IT FT numbers increase in playoffs.

This.

The Playoffs are a diffrent breed. Refs give superstars the calls. Look at Wade in 2006..he couldn't be touched.
IT will be and must be given that special treatment specially if you drive a lot. Heck even Rondo got what he wanted during his prime in the Bulls series...he just didn't get the most important call of all in the Miami game 7..well ofcourse we know why because its the freakin Heat.

The Cs should be given a pass to the second round unless 1. IT gets an injury that will tilt the balance of the series. Or 2. If the other team really blows us of with their shooting...otherwise we should be ok.

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

I will add to that:
- Jae Crowder was  coming off a high ankle sprain and was a shell of his normal self.
- Kelly Olynyk had separated his shoulder around this time of year, and was pretty much useless in the playoffs.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

This year's team is last year's team, but we actually have our second and third-best players and we will have home court advantage. Coincidentally, if we do end up with Atlanta, you can add the fact that one of their best players left for us.

Mike

This is a legitimate point and Booker probably doesn't go for 70 if AB is playing. These two guys are CRITICAL to the C's success.