Author Topic: The Celtics the best team in the East?  (Read 5688 times)

Re: The Celtics the best team in the East?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Cleveland wins because the refs let Lebron travel and commit offensive fouls.
Lebron once went FIVE GAMES without being called for a foul.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
On any given night we can be the best... for that night. I love this team's grit... makes games exciting and fun to watch, especially with guys like Jaylen and Amir chipping in. But I have to agree with what CBS said... we just aren't as good as our record. In the same breath that we beat Cavs/GS, we lose to the Suns. We aren't consistent on either side of the floor and have zero scoring depth, which is why my nightmare playoff matchup is against the Heat... and this has nothing to do with players but their coach. I'm confident that CBS can get consistent looks for IT against any other team, but Spoelstra worries me.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

This, to me, is the issue that too many people are overlooking. IMO, LeBron's teams (not just him individually, but everyone on his team, home or away, both in Cleveland and Miami) have been coddled by the refs much more so than I've ever seen in NBA history, and it's been that way since his rookie year. Just being better than his team isn't anywhere close to good enough to beat them in the playoffs. In '08, we were much, much better than the Cavs, and still almost lost the series because the officiating was that one-sided. The officiating was horrible in 2010 as well, but we were once again good enough to overcome it.

I honestly don't think we'd win a seven game series against the Cavs this year even with fair officiating, as I don't think we have an answer for them inside and on the boards. I think that mythical series would go 6 or 7 games. But that's a moot point, because there's no way we'll have a fairly officiated series against the Cavs. Our time is coming where we'll be good enough once again to overcome that, but I don't think it's this year. Assuming full health for both teams, I think Cleveland wins in 5. All five games may be nailbiters, but the Cavs are too good when the you have to beat them 5-on-8 in late-game situations. Much more so than any other sport, the officiating in the NBA is extremely crooked, and no one in the media has the balls to call them out on it.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 01:04:46 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

This, to me, is the issue that too many people are overlooking. IMO, LeBron's teams (not just him individually, but everyone on his team, home or away, both in Cleveland and Miami) have been coddled by the refs much more so than I've ever seen in NBA history, and it's been that way since his rookie year. Just being better than his team isn't anywhere close to good enough to beat them in the playoffs. In '08, we were much, much better than the Cavs, and still almost lost the series because the officiating was that one-sided. The officiating was horrible in 2010 as well, but we were once again good enough to overcome it.

I honestly don't think we'd win a seven game series against the Cavs this year even with fair officiating, as I don't think we have an answer for them inside and on the boards. I think that mythical series would go 6 or 7 games. But that's a moot point, because there's no way we'll have a fairly officiated series against the Cavs. Our time is coming where we'll be good enough once again to overcome that, but I don't think it's this year. Assuming full health for both teams, I think Cleveland wins in 5. All five games may be nailbiters, but the Cavs are too good when the you have to beat them 5-on-8 in late-game situations. Much more so than any other sport, the officiating in the NBA is extremely crooked, and no one in the media has the balls to call them out on it.
according to the NBA 2-minute report data, Lebron is actually treated unfairly.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Real Eastern Conference Playoffs seedings:

1) Cleveland

2) Toronto (assumes a healthy Lowry)

3) Boston (horrible defense but improved rebounding)

4) Washington (may have peaked too early)

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is the important point.  I leave officiating aside.  It can be terrible, but I don't think of it as a reason the Cavs will win.  If I did, I would look for a different sport to watch.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

1) Cleveland

The real seedings are whatever the final records say. These fake seedings don't seem to have much thought put into them.

Lowry's injury isn't the reason that team is limping along. They were 5-11 in Lowry's last 16 games before the injury with him playing about 38 mpg.  So why would anyone have them ranked above Boston when they're 3.5 game back?

The Wiz have been very hot since their slow start. But they're also 16-18 on the road (BOS, TOR and CLE all have winning records). It will be interesting to see if they can turn that road record around with 7 of their last 9 on the road.

The above post says that Boston has been "horrible" defensively but neglects to mention that Cleveland has actually been significantly worse - especially on the road.

We will know what the real rankings are within a couple of weeks. What I'm happy about is getting a the home advantage in a playoff series for the first time in a few years.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

why you gotta ruin a perfectly good rant with facts
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

1) Cleveland

The real seedings are whatever the final records say. These fake seedings don't seem to have much thought put into them.

Lowry's injury isn't the reason that team is limping along. They were 5-11 in Lowry's last 16 games before the injury with him playing about 38 mpg.  So why would anyone have them ranked above Boston when they're 3.5 game back?

The Wiz have been very hot since their slow start. But they're also 16-18 on the road (BOS, TOR and CLE all have winning records). It will be interesting to see if they can turn that road record around with 7 of their last 9 on the road.

The above post says that Boston has been "horrible" defensively but neglects to mention that Cleveland has actually been significantly worse - especially on the road.

We will know what the real rankings are within a couple of weeks. What I'm happy about is getting a the home advantage in a playoff series for the first time in a few years.

I might put Cleveland above boston regardless of the record, but I'd say at the least we are no. 2. That garbage post that list us at 3rd mentioned defense, yet after the break we have been near the top of the league in defense, and I put more stock in what a team has done lately than the first few months.

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

LOL
The other night in the last two minutes with the game on the line, Lebron ran over a Washington player with a stiff arm and shot a layup.
Three officials swallowed their whistles.
And then their is this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsl36MnOqY

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
We are kind of the Spurs of the East.
Good coaching and we play the game the right way.

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
With their trade deadline improvements...Raptors are going to be a tough out.

They are top 5 in offensive rating and top 8 in defensive rating.

Only Warriors and Spurs are better.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/#!?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1

And DeRozan just murders the Celtics...36ppg!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01/splits/2017

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

1) Cleveland

I might put Cleveland above boston regardless of the record, but I'd say at the least we are no. 2. That garbage post that list us at 3rd mentioned defense, yet after the break we have been near the top of the league in defense, and I put more stock in what a team has done lately than the first few months.

I was hoping for more mature critical responses to my seedings that didn't involve words like "garbage" and phrases like "don't seem to have much thought put into them", but you take what you get and try to allow for the emotional immaturity of others. The Celtics record of 4-7 this season against these three teams might hint at the difficulty of their task ahead.

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

1) Cleveland

I was hoping for more mature critical responses to my seedings that didn't involve words like "garbage" and phrases like "don't seem to have much thought put into them", but you take what you get and try to allow for the emotional immaturity of others. The Celtics record of 4-7 this season against these three teams might hint at the difficulty of their task ahead.
These are not seeds. They are your power rankings.

No point in talking about "fake seeds"

head to head records arent that important as key players have been out in every game weve had vs. Toronto and Cleveland.

Only team weve had reasonably healthy matchups against is Washington.

Also, attached to your healthy Lowry assumption should be the assumption that he is healthy and firing on all cylinders.

Also, the Celtics are statistically a top 10 defense and have been a very good defense since a miserable start on that end, which contributes to the idea that you really didnt put much thought into it.

I dont have a problem with Toronto over Boston, but I do have a problem with calling this "real playoff seediness" and saying the Celtics have a horrible defense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.