Author Topic: Thinking out of the box regarding playoff seeding...  (Read 2106 times)

Thinking out of the box regarding playoff seeding...
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
A couple of votes have suggested that there may be some jockeying by teams to optimize their chances of getting a favorable match up in the first round of the playoffs such that you may even see teams tanking to avoid a certain opponent in the first round. Some have even suggested that the Celtics may want to avoid the first seed so that we do not get Atlanta in the first round. I abhor any system that encourages tanking. The league should enact rules that reward competition at the highest level.

There is already tanking at the bottom of the league, the league should avoid tanking at the top. Here is my suggestion to avoid tanking at the top.

The playoff is made up of eight teams per conference that are seeded 1-8 by their record. These teams should be divided into upper tier and lower tier based on their rankings. 1-4 belong in the upper tier and 4-8 belong in the lower tier.

The match ups in the first round is then decided as follows;

The first seed picks whichever one of the lower tier seeds they want in the first round. The second seed then picks their opponent, and then the third team picks, the 4th team plays the team remaining after the first three pick their opponents.

This will ensure that the teams play to the end of the season. No tanking at the top. If you want to pick your opponent, earn it. Win and then pick.

Any comments?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:48:57 PM by Ogaju »

Re: Thinking ot of the box regarding playoff season...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I like your idea. Send it to the NBA!!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Don't need to, Adam Silver reads the board. I think his moniker is 'Saltlover'.  LOL !!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Don't need to, Adam Silver reads the board. I think his moniker is 'Saltlover'.  LOL !!
Nah,the NBA would be in a better place if that were the case

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

TP for the great idea.  We'll see what we can make happen.   ;)

Re: Thinking out of the box regarding playoff seeding...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:35 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Just do it like the NFL.

Top seed plays lowest possible seed in all rounds. If the top seed is eliminated by the eight seed for example because an injury happens to the top team while playing in round 1 then the second seed plays the eighth seed in the second round or who ever is tops..

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That is a very good idea.  TP.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:51:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

You sir, just won the internet.  I thought I was the only one that recognized it!!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 06:04:00 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
I like the idea, it would make it more appealing to win the top seed. And anything that makes the regular season more interesting and relevant is a good thing.

It would also create some major "disrespect" storylines among the teams that get picked first or second to play the top seeds. Wold be interesting to see the psychological effect that might create.

It would also be interesting to see how the top NBA teams really feel about their competition and opponents.

Would a top seed want to be seen as ducking certain #8 seeds? Would be a fascinating scenario.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
This has been in use in various team sports in my country (most notably ice hockey).
It works ok, and certainly gives media something extra to write about.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like the idea because it is only fair for the top team to be able to play who they think is their best match-up; however, I don't think this it is really an issue at the top.

While the 1 seed may prefer the 6 or 7 seed in the first round, they more prefer having home court advantage through the ECF. The top teams should absolutely win their first round match-up, regardless (if they don't, then they weren't likely to go far anyway). After that, home court is extremely important.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It also could be an opportunity for Coach Stevens to shock the world. For instance, We win the #1 seed, Brad thinks about it and decides.

We will host the Cavs in the first round. The media goes nuts, Steven A Schmuck has a panic attack.

We go on to beat the Cavs in 7 and Win the championship. The team later says after that series with the Cavs, and coaches confidence in us to take down the champs, the​ rest was easy.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:53:28 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

It also could be an opportunity for Coach Stevens to shock the world. For instance, We win the #1 seed, Brad thinks about it and decides.

We will host the Cavs in the first round. The media goes nuts, Steven A Schmuck has a panic attack.

We go on to beat the Cavs in 7 and Win the championship. The team later says after that series with the Cavs, and coaches confidence in us to take down the champs, the​ rest was easy.

Stop daydreaming

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:13 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Stop daydreaming

Why?

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Stop daydreaming

Why?

That's a +1 Dawg. Seriously, it's a sports blog, can't we have a little fun Lol..