Author Topic: Washington at Cleveland tonight, who do Cs want to win  (Read 4428 times)

Washington at Cleveland tonight, who do Cs want to win
« on: March 25, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
A Cleveland loss helps us in our quest for the #1 seed. It also puts pressure on Cleveland not to rest players at the end of the season, but we have to consider that a seeding contest may mean that the playoffs start early for us, not a good thing for player's rest and health.

A Washington loss gives us more separation and breathing room for the second seed. This may in the long run allow us to accept the second seed and coast to end the season.

So which is better for the Cs?

Re: Washington at Cleveland tonight, who do Cs want to win
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm sort of just going to let it play out honestly. Either scenario helps BOS in a way.

But keep in mind a CLE loss also gets WAS just 2 games back of us for #2 seed with 9 games to play.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I still want Cleveland to lose regardless of Washington as they still have a tough schedule. Plus even if CLE dropped to the 3 seed it would mean more road games for them so I am happy about that. It seems that Lebron may have gotten a scratched cornea in last night's game and he is questionable tonight.

Someone mentioned to me that they think that Cleveland may actually not mind losing out on the 1 seed if it means not facing Miami in the 1st round. It really makes me wonder if they aren't doing things intentionally like resting the Big 3 in the same game, etc.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
In the end, if we want any chance at a miracle upset vs the Cavs in the conference finals, we need that 1 seed but not at the cost of burning our players out in the final games which could lead to us never making the conference finals in the first place.....Hmmm...torn on this one. I would think best not to burn our players out and settle for 2nd seed with rested players.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I think we definitely want the Wizards to win. The number 1 seed is there for the taking for us, and I think we're pretty safe from the Wizards for now. They'd have to play 3 full games better than us in the remaining 9 games to take over the 3rd seed from us, which just isn't likely to happen.

Here's Cleveland's remaining schedule:
vs. WAS (B2B)
@ SAS
@ CHI (B2B)
vs PHI (B2B)
vs IND
vs ORL (B2B)
@ BOS (B2B)
vs ATL
@ ATL (B2B)
@ MIA (B2B)
vs TOR

That's about as difficult of a final 5 game stretch as they can get due to all of those teams jockeying for position.

I'm predicting that if they would lose tonight to the Wizards and to San Antonio, they'll probably give up the chase for the number one seed and rest guys on the back-to-backs. This will be especially true if they lose in their final game with us, too.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I want the 1 seed. Back to back losses for CLE (WAS & @SAS) would put us in first so long as we beat MIA tomorrow.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Come on, look forward and not in the rearview mirror !

2nd seed is pretty muched locked down : give the win to WAS and try to put some pressure to LeBron. At least they won't be able to rest their players if they need to fight for the first seed.

We don't need to worry about the Wizard winning matches if we play the way were are supposed to anyway.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
1 game of separation from Cleveland, 2.5 games from Washington. As long as the Celtics take care of their business, it'll be better for them if Washington wins.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Washington. Washington's schedule is brutal going forward, and we have more separation there.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We want 1 seed so want CLE to lose. It makes us more attractive to FA's.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
yup.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
You always go for the number 1 seed but either way, it's a win for us tonight.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The verdict is in. Seems like the playoffs start early for us this year. Its going to be a fight for that first seed because we have a seriously good shot at it.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I want the #1 seed as well.  But I don't think that matters too much to free agents, at least not directly.

I want the top seed because it guarantees home court throughout the conference finals.  The Celtics play much better at home than on the road, as do most teams.  If we want to get to the ECF, and have a chance against Cleveland, every little advantage helps.

So if Washington beating Cleveland tonight helps that cause, then yes, I want Washington to win tonight.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Just watch the C's get the number one seed and then get matched up with Atlanta. Probably the worst possible opponent considering they own the C's.