Author Topic: Noah suspended 20 games (PEDs)  (Read 5236 times)

Re: Noah suspended 20 games (PEDs)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What I don't get is the 10 games this year and 10 games next year. Wasn't he already ruled out for the rest of this year? If so, what is a 10-game suspension actually doing? It allows him to not play when he wasn't going to play anyway?
Right. If he was already shut down, how can he be serving 10 games of a suspension?

Welcome to the wonderful world of NBA enforcement.

That's not how it works.

Noah will begin serving his suspension when he is medically cleared to play.  Considering he hasn't played since Feb 1, I doubt he's going to be cleared to play this season.

Edit: Here's a quote from ESPN confirming what I thought, although it also says the Knicks are going to try to get him cleared to play before the end of this season.  I don't think the NBA will buy that, but who knows.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18999562/joakim-noah-new-york-knicks-receive-20-game-suspension-violating-nba-anti-drug-policy

The suspension will start when Noah -- who has not played since Feb. 4 and had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Feb. 27 to remove loose fragments of cartilage or bone -- is "eligible and physically able to play" in either a regular season or playoff game, the NBA said. The suspension would then carry into the 2017-18 season.

Noah was initially expected to miss the rest of the season, but New York will likely try to have him return as soon as possible to start the clock on the suspension.
That sounds right.

It does say something about the way NBA team operate (though nothing that we didn't already know) that he was shut down for the year for "medical reasons" until the suspension comes along and then they immediately say "Well maybe he actually is able to play."
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What I don't get is the 10 games this year and 10 games next year. Wasn't he already ruled out for the rest of this year? If so, what is a 10-game suspension actually doing? It allows him to not play when he wasn't going to play anyway?
Right. If he was already shut down, how can he be serving 10 games of a suspension?

Welcome to the wonderful world of NBA enforcement.

That's not how it works.

Noah will begin serving his suspension when he is medically cleared to play.  Considering he hasn't played since Feb 1, I doubt he's going to be cleared to play this season.

Edit: Here's a quote from ESPN confirming what I thought, although it also says the Knicks are going to try to get him cleared to play before the end of this season.  I don't think the NBA will buy that, but who knows.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18999562/joakim-noah-new-york-knicks-receive-20-game-suspension-violating-nba-anti-drug-policy

The suspension will start when Noah -- who has not played since Feb. 4 and had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Feb. 27 to remove loose fragments of cartilage or bone -- is "eligible and physically able to play" in either a regular season or playoff game, the NBA said. The suspension would then carry into the 2017-18 season.

Noah was initially expected to miss the rest of the season, but New York will likely try to have him return as soon as possible to start the clock on the suspension.
That sounds right.

It does say something about the way NBA team operate (though nothing that we didn't already know) that he was shut down for the year for "medical reasons" until the suspension comes along and then they immediately say "Well maybe he actually is able to play."

To be fair, in this case the medical reasons were a minor knee surgery at the end of February that has a 4-6 week recovery time, so shutting him down for the season at that point wasn't unreasonable, and on the other hand, trying to get him cleared now isn't completely ridiculous, since his surgery was 4 weeks from Monday.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hopefully for his and the Knicks sake they can get part of the suspension to start this year...especially since the substance will be legal next year.

I don't know much about supplements and such, but it seems to me that if something is able or purchased over the counter, then it shouldn't be banned (and apparently won't be) - seems like a kind-of harsh penalty for such a thing.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Hopefully for his and the Knicks sake they can get part of the suspension to start this year...especially since the substance will be legal next year.

I don't know much about supplements and such, but it seems to me that if something is able or purchased over the counter, then it shouldn't be banned (and apparently won't be) - seems like a kind-of harsh penalty for such a thing.

Really who cares about Noah and/or the Knicks? I don't recall their fans wishing we could get some compensation for players that died. If you break the rules this year then you live by this year's rules.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I've loved Noah as a player - and wanted him here in Boston. This is disappointing on a lot of levels. Yes the league I think overdid it - but come on: Noah is smart, and it was stupid for him to push the envelope in this way.

I'd wished to see him team back up with Horford here. Now - isn't his staying ability in the league in jeapordy?

Please explain to me HOW this is "disappointing on a lot of levels."  He bought an over-the-counter substance to try to get healthy and back onto the court.  What is disappointing is that the NBA would ban (prior to the new collective bargaining agreement at least) a LEGAL over-the-counter substance.

Yet they have let Lebron likely use HGH off and on for a decade with NO ramifications.  It would be hilarious if NOT so freaking SAD!!!!

This reminds me of Rashard Lewis who bought an over-the-counter testosterone enhancer and got a 10-game suspension in 2009 while Lebron's cranium (frontal skull) continued to grow at exponential rates and Lebron had to have a growth in his jaw removed (parotid gland which helps break down human growth hormone) in the same stinking year!!!

BTW, Lewis took a product that contained DHEA, a product I have used and that you can buy at GNC or virtually any nutrition store!!!

HYPOCRISY drives me insane!!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Rashard-Lewis-tests-positive-for-PEDs-suspended?urn=nba,181341

Smitty77

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I've loved Noah as a player - and wanted him here in Boston. This is disappointing on a lot of levels. Yes the league I think overdid it - but come on: Noah is smart, and it was stupid for him to push the envelope in this way.

I'd wished to see him team back up with Horford here. Now - isn't his staying ability in the league in jeapordy?

Please explain to me HOW this is "disappointing on a lot of levels."  He bought an over-the-counter substance to try to get healthy and back onto the court.  What is disappointing is that the NBA would ban (prior to the new collective bargaining agreement at least) a LEGAL over-the-counter substance.

Yet they have let Lebron likely use HGH off and on for a decade with NO ramifications.  It would be hilarious if NOT so freaking SAD!!!!

This reminds me of Rashard Lewis who bought an over-the-counter testosterone enhancer and got a 10-game suspension in 2009 while Lebron's cranium (frontal skull) continued to grow at exponential rates and Lebron had to have a growth in his jaw removed (parotid gland which helps break down human growth hormone) in the same stinking year!!!

BTW, Lewis took a product that contained DHEA, a product I have used and that you can buy at GNC or virtually any nutrition store!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Rashard-Lewis-tests-positive-for-PEDs-suspended?urn=nba,181341

Smitty77

Maybe just maybe....JUST MAYBE  its because Lebron has never actually used PEDs????But naa i guess its is much easier to allow your hatred and jealousy to cloud your judgement

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Well, I guess I know which PED not to use if I actually want to enhance my performance. Are we sure it wasn't a performance inhibitor?

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
LOL!

Awesome. Couldn't have happened to nicer guy.

TP

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Smitty77

Maybe just maybe....JUST MAYBE  its because Lebron has never actually used PEDs????But naa i guess its is much easier to allow your hatred and jealousy to cloud your judgement

Is that you, Maverick Carter??

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Smitty77

TP, Smitty!!!!

Circumstantial evidence is often far more persuasive than direct evidence. A lot of people don't understand that concept and won't believe/acknowledge that Bron Bron or any of their heroes could possibly be doing PEDs unless there is a picture of that hero with a tourniquet on his arm and a needle in his hand that is labelled "PEDs". Even then, those sycophants would say: "it was photoshopped.....some "jealous hater" (favorite inflammatory, visceral, debate stopping words of theirs) must've done it".

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

TP, Smitty!!!!

Circumstantial evidence is often far more persuasive than direct evidence. A lot of people don't understand that concept and won't believe/acknowledge that Bron Bron or any of their heroes could possibly be doing PEDs unless there is a picture of that hero with a tourniquet on his arm and a needle in his hand that is labelled "PEDs". Even then, those sycophants would say: "it was photoshopped.....some "jealous hater" (favorite inflammatory, visceral, debate stopping words of theirs) must've done it".

Thanks so much csfan!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

The use of PED's and specifically HGH is a HUGE problem and when Derrick Rose was asked how big of a problem it was, he said it was a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

https://ajaythuraisingham.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/reasons-i-believe-lebron-james-uses-steroids/

Here is a quote from him:

“It’s huge and I think we need a level playing field, where nobody has that advantage over the next person.”

The NBA did NOT test for HGH until recently!!!!!!!!!!!  Why?  The answer is clear.  Their big money maker is a regular user!!!  And the very next season, when testing was initiated, Lebron lost 40 pounds and Carmello lost 25!!!

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=22812

Link

18 Aug 2014 18:58
Hello everyone, I don't know if there are many people here that follow NBA, but As you might have heard, the NBA finally decided to test the players for HGH starting from the next season.

This offseason, Lebron dropped from around 275 to 235, Carmelo anthony has also lost around 25. They spin these as efforts to be more lean and preserve their knees but I call bull**** and would like to know if anyone thinks like me too? I know this is a cycling forum but at the same time the best doping discussion area also, so sorry if i broke some rules.

Finally, sprinters like Kittel and Cavendish should definitely be on some form of HGH. right?

Bill Simmons insinuated that Lebron's two week "vacation" was a steroid vacation.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/did-bill-simmons-hint-that-lebron-james-took-a-steroid-vacation/

Please get your naive head out of the sand!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I wonder what it's like to wear a tin foil hat?

Anyone have experience with that?

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Seriously its [dang] near comical reading a bunch of patched up conspiracy theories. I guess it depends on what type of person you are in life. If you are a hard worker busting you gut to get ahead, working hard for everything you have in your life...  i find hard to believe you would be so quick to pass judgement or dismiss another mans accomplishments based on a bunch of nonsense.

Keep in mind Lebron is the biggest athlete in the world hence investigative reporters would [dang] near push their moms over a cliff if the could bust open a story about Lebron using  PEDs.

Anyway its whatever. SOme ppl are just stuck in their ways. Almost like how you will never convince die hard Trump fans that the dude is a pathological liar

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Seriously its [dang] near comical reading a bunch of patched up conspiracy theories. I guess it depends on what type of person you are in life. If you are a hard worker busting you gut to get ahead, working hard for everything you have in your life...  i find hard to believe you would be so quick to pass judgement or dismiss another mans accomplishments based on a bunch of nonsense.

Keep in mind Lebron is the biggest athlete in the world hence investigative reporters would [dang] near push their moms over a cliff if the could bust open a story about Lebron using  PEDs.

Anyway its whatever. SOme ppl are just stuck in their ways. Almost like how you will never convince die hard Trump fans that the dude is a pathological liar

Lebron is the biggest athlete in the world? Really?

Sincerely,

Messi and Ronaldo