Author Topic: What should Wade do?  (Read 1195 times)

What should Wade do?
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:53 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He's in a weird situation.

He'll be 36 next January. He's already had his homecoming.

He has a 23million dollar option for next year. I cannot see him making that much money for 17/18, 18/19, and the 19/2- seasons combined. The Bulls are not getting any better, unless maybe they make a sideways move trading away Butler for someone who has a breakout year.

He still puts his points up, but the dude is clearly slowing down, despite a reasonably solid season (don't bring up his "improved 3pt shooting").

Early retirement is what I would do. Get into film-making (his iPhone vids are quality) and have an interesting career after basketball.

What say you? Pretend your his agent if you happen to feel compelled to write something nasty.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: What should Wade do?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Retire

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Needs to accept he is no longer a superstar or even an All-Star.

Needs to accept his team no longer should be built around him.

Needs to accept that his team will be best served by him in a 6th man role rather than starting.

Needs to accept he can still be a Ginobili-like presence and a difference maker off the bench and finish his career on a high note playing for another Championship.

If Wade can do that, he still has a lot to offer.

If he cannot, he will waste away his last years on mediocre teams. 

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If it were me, I wouldn't turn down the $23MM option.  He is about to become unemployed with no chance to get a decent job in his profession.  So he sits on the bench, so what?  Look at Paul Pierce who did it for much less money.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Personally, I think he'd be nuts to opt out.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
If it were me, I wouldn't turn down the $23MM option.  He is about to become unemployed with no chance to get a decent job in his profession.  So he sits on the bench, so what?  Look at Paul Pierce who did it for much less money.

$23,000,000 is a lot of donuts. He's cashing that check.

Already has 3 rings. And lots of money, but still.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would collect the last pay check and then retire. Maybe sign for a contender after next year if there's still gas in the tank.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Needs to accept that his team will be best served by him in a 6th man role rather than starting.

Needs to accept he can still be a Ginobili-like presence and a difference maker off the bench and finish his career on a high note playing for another Championship.

Great post. Just because you're not the alpha dog doesn't mean you can't be integral to a championship run. I think he'd fit well with Toronto and possibly help push them to the finals. They've added some good pieces recently and Wade could provide that veteran presence who's been there before.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously he will pick up his option for next year. If he decides to retire or sign on with a contender for the minimum instead, I will have to reconsider my [negative] feelings on Wade...I have a feeling that won't be a problem, though.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Vinnie Carter comes to mind too..

It will certainly be interesting if and when Chicago finally fires Fred, trades away Butler, Lopez maybe Mirotic, and make him a lame duck on a lottery team going full rebuild.

That's thing though, he won't even be on a competitive team. It feels like it's a new situation for an aging superstar.

Maybe he requests a trade to a contender for next year, but I can't see who could make cap room, nor really has anyone a need for his skillset anymore.

I should've put in a poll asking what the Bulls do next year!

All in: They have max space go after Griffin
Sideways: tread water staying competitve till his deal expires so they can save face don't need to leave him with a Kobe-style embarrassing situation
Full rebuild: Trade him in the off season to Cleveland for first rounders in, like, 2024, 2025

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He should retire. I don't think anyone wants him at his current salary. If he was a midlevel or vet minimum guy it's a different story but isn't he making like 23 million. Yes sure go ahead Cleveland I would love to see you pick him up.