Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk's market value is $13m  (Read 5298 times)

Kelly Olynyk's market value is $13m
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
@JaredWeissNBA:On Kelly Olynyk's free agency: After speaking with a slew of front office people recently, the consensus on his top market value is ~$13m.

@JaredWeissNBA: And to clarify, this is input from front office people across the league and outside of the Celtics. But Celtics clearly value his skill set

Is he worth that kind of money? His inconsistency is still a huge problem. I would let him go if he started to demand anything above $9m.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: Kelly Olynyk's market value is $13m
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it will be 9-12 million.  The market has changed quite a bit.  This about what  Leuer of the Pistons makes.  Keep in mind other GMs will overprice to drive up our price.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't think that should be a surprise, I think he might even end up at $15m. As the first big of the bench he's worth it.

If we miss out on a max FA then I'd pay him that after extending IT or Bradley

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Deffinitely pay him if it that much. Jeezus, Mozgov got 16 or something.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We can obviously live without KO, but I do hope that we keep him if we lose out on Hayward/Griffin (or if Bradley is moved for picks for some reason). His inconsistency from game to game is often an issue, but his skillset is still very unique.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Deffinitely pay him if it that much. Jeezus, Mozgov got 16 or something.
Sounds about right to me too.  Those who value him in the $9-12 MM range are not being realistic with where the market is.  KO has also shown to be more consistent in the last 5-10 games and it doing things we haven't seen before like post moves, mixing it up underneath and continues his great passing for a big man.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
Sure, compared to the bad deals that were handed out this summer there's no doubt that Kelly is worth $13m.

On the other hand, there are apparently a lot of people who expects the huge market inflation to be dampened in the future, e.g.:
A big factor is that most expect the huge market inflation we saw last year to be dampened by future cap projections, so less Mozgov deals.

With that in mind, would you still pay Kelly $13m? Sure, it would be a good deal right now, but it could turn out to be a bad one provided that you offer him more than 2-3 years.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It is his market value but there is no way Boston should pay him that with all the other new deals required in the near future
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I've been saying $12-14 million, but more likely $11 million than $15 million if it's outside of that range.

I think whether he stays depends somewhat on other moves this summer.  If we sign Blake Griffin, good-bye KO.  But if we sign Hayward, I think it's much more likely Bradley gets traded and KO is resigned.  Remember too he has a cap hit this year of $7.75 million regardless of what he signs for, so if the deal isn't too expensive, moving him in the future is an option if his salary gets in the way of something.  Brooklyn took on three years, $20 million of Andrew Nicholson for a late 1st, and sent back Bogdanovich as well.  Nicholson a DNP-CD type, and Olynyk is if nothing else a legit rotation guy.

I think Olynyk stays at anything up to $14 million (unless Blake signs here) and I still think that's his ceiling.  So I expect to continue to see Olynyk in a Celtics uniform in the future.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think around $10 million, $2 million or so either way is pretty fair. I'd like to keep KO - despite his flaws and inconsistencies I still find his skill-set intriguing, and I'd prefer he remain in Boston.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This is funny. Fully expect to see someone throw a 3 years 45million
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Teams like Nets will overpay to get someone to join there team. I believe he will see something between 15-18 m per for 3-4 years and it wont be from us.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Teams like Nets will overpay to get someone to join there team. I believe he will see something between 15-18 m per for 3-4 years and it wont be from us.

If Olynyk were 24, I could see the Nets overpaying as they bet on upside.  But he'll be 26, and future growth is limited.  He's a useful rotation player, but a team like the Nets hunts the bargain bin for unrealized rotation talent, and pays big for guys who have a chance to develop into something more.  Olynyk is much more likely to be grabbed by someone like Utah if they find themselves with extra cash because Hill leaves or Favors is traded.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

If Olynyk were 24, I could see the Nets overpaying as they bet on upside.  But he'll be 26, and future growth is limited.  He's a useful rotation player, but a team like the Nets hunts the bargain bin for unrealized rotation talent, and pays big for guys who have a chance to develop into something more.  Olynyk is much more likely to be grabbed by someone like Utah if they find themselves with extra cash because Hill leaves or Favors is traded.
The same could have been said about Evan Turner who got offered a 4 year, $70m contract at the age of 28. There is no telling what desperate teams will be willing to do this summer. Personally, I think teams like Brooklyn or Sacramento are going to throw big money after Olynyk regardless of his (potential) future growth.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The same could have been said about Evan Turner who got offered a 4 year, $70m contract at the age of 28. There is no telling what desperate teams will be willing to do this summer. Personally, I think teams like Brooklyn or Sacramento are going to throw big money after Olynyk regardless of his (potential) future growth.

It could be, but Evan Turner didn't get offered such a contract by Brooklyn.  I'm not saying it's impossible for Olynyk to get offered a big deal (although I do feel it's pretty unlikely when looking at the cap positions of teams), but I am objecting to Brooklyn being the big spender.