Author Topic: So we gave up 70 to someone tonight?  (Read 4821 times)

Re: So we gave up 70 to someone tonight?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 06:38:27 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I bet no one is batting an eye when Jordan was dropping 60+ pts against the Larry Bird Celtics

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I bet no one is batting an eye when Jordan was dropping 60+ pts against the Larry Bird Celtics

That is how the Celtics used to beat them. Let Jordan score because we can't stop him but we will stop all the others.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

That is how the Celtics used to beat them. Let Jordan score because we can't stop him but we will stop all the others.

So how is this much different in yesterday's game? Game was never close to begin with. Booker himself admitted that he's stat-padding at that point and his coach is helping him with it.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am a little bothered by how this game went down. Sure it was never close and the Suns were basically padding Booker's stats the whole night, but we should have won by 30 - easy. Instead, we let Booker go off and the lead got down to single digits at one point. I realize the game was never really in jeopardy, but the way our team gives up big leads should is not cool.

And talk about a dud of a game by Smart - terrible offensively and defensively, like to the worst extremes.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
70 points is a legit achievement but man, the game was never really in doubt despite it only being 10points by the end to this blowout adverse Celtics team.

Booker is only 20yrs old so I get it but this is why I admire players wired like Kawhi/Westbrook. I guarantee if they somehow managed 70+ in a loss they'd be pi**ed off they let the team down and do everything to try and get the next win.

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Who cares? The game was never close.
Pretty much, no big deal.  Hopefully Brad found a teaching moment for the backcourt.

Props to Devin Booker.  I was glad to witness the 6th highest individual scoring game of all time.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'm happy for Booker, been a fan of his all season. Seems like a grounded kid who plays the game hard.It's also worth mentioning the game was over about five minutes in and the Celtics definitely stared playing down to the Suns level the rest of the way. Kind of turned into a street ball game.
This might not be a popular opinion but I also like how the garden showed him love, it's an amazing accomplishment that should be recognized regardless of what team you route for. Thought it was pretty special the fans recognized that and responded accordingly.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
We're fine defensively... an upcoming talent got hot and his team fed him, no biggie. We just locked down Kyrie and GS, so why would I feel that we are incapable of locking down Booker if we wanted to. if this were the playoffs AB would be on the court locking that crap down and CBS would have put more into scheming to stop him, but I think he wanted to check the one-on-one matchups for guards like Booker cuz the road to the finals could very well go through microwave scoring guards that can get hot in a second... CBS has been doing a lot of experimentation heading into the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

People did bat an eye, especially the Celtics players including Bird. There are quotes available on this. Also, that was in a playoff game.

Booker is no Michael Jordan either, not even close.

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Saw the coach's explanation this morning and I actually think I agree with him.  The team is going back to the lottery and lost to Brooklyn by nearly 30 pts the night before.  They came out and gave absolutely zero defensive effort in the first half - so Watson was just trying to find something to latch onto to get his team pointed in the right direction. 

In that context it makes sense.  Booker is only 20 and might be the guy they build the team around. I'm fine with it.   

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
On the issue of Crowder, I am okay with him taking the opposition to task if they stop caring about winning and work to give one player a points record. When the NBA becomes a Harlem Globe Trotters league it has problems.

(while whistling Sweet Georgia Brown)  Devin Booker stat line against Boston.

21-40  52.5 FG %

4-11 3 Pt. 36.4 %

24-26 FT   92.3 %

If you don't  like it, stop it.  Phoenix had 5 players on the floor. Boston had 5 players on the floor.
Booker, age 20 did this in Boston on the parquet. This against the Celtics defense.
A team can't pad its own players stats by fouling.  Give Booker his due.
Celebrate his performance. He had to make the shots and the free throws.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Booker is legit...he had a great night, in a game that his teams number one concern was seeing how many points he could score. Indeed, his arm must be tired.

What bothered me was, who the heck was defending him? We're they incapable of containing him at all? And why? Did they really care?

Are the Celtics that weak of a defensive team, specifically in the backcourt?

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Booker is legit...he had a great night, in a game that his teams number one concern was seeing how many points he could score. Indeed, his arm must be tired.

What bothered me was, who the heck was defending him? We're they incapable of containing him at all? And why? Did they really care?

Are the Celtics that weak of a defensive team, specifically in the backcourt?

Bradley was out sick, Jaylen got a number of fouls on him quickly and was out of the equation, and then the refs just started calling fouls for Booker like he was Michael Jordan.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
For all the raving about Booker, he ranks 90th in defensive RPM out of 99 listed SG's.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/2

Booker ranks 48th out of 99 in RPM.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/2

He had a great night that literally helped to continue to RUIN the INTEGRITY of the game!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
where was Marcus?

didnt watch the game, but turns out Booker had 25 points on Marcus.

disappointing from Smart there.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.