Author Topic: Our First Griffin Rumor! (Sort Of)  (Read 2800 times)

Our First Griffin Rumor! (Sort Of)
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-clippers-blake-griffin-could-consider-lakers-celtics-in-free-agency/

"That Griffin would also stay and reap the biggest payday he can seems likely, too—in theory. But more and more people around the league believe he would be open to a fresh start—perhaps with the Lakers or the Boston Celtics, who have coveted Griffin for years and would offer a new chance to win. The most intriguing fit might be if he were to go home to Oklahoma to join Russell Westbrook and the Thunder, but his interests in the entertainment industry make staying in Los Angeles a priority."

Things to know about this:

- Griffin has said next to nothing publicly about his upcoming free agency. Last summer, he told Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated, “If there’s something that anybody hears throughout the course of the season, it’s false, because it didn’t come from me.” He acknowledged that fans would speculate, but he simply wanted to try to win a championship with the Clippers and focus on everything else later.

- It’s worth noting that, even in Ding’s story, it’s not presented as likely that Griffin leaves the Clippers. He would make the most money by re-signing, and there’s no guarantee that going somewhere else would give him a better chance to win.

- It’s hard to overstate the importance of how the rest of this season goes. Los Angeles has been inconsistent this year, with perhaps the widest gulf of any team in the league between its peaks and valleys. Chris Paul and J.J. Redick will be free agents in July, too, and another heartbreaking playoff loss might mean major changes are necessary. As it stands, it looks like the Clippers will likely play the Utah Jazz in the first round. If they are fortunate enough to get past the Jazz, then they will likely meet the Golden State Warriors. If they don’t at least put a scare into the Warriors, then it would be crazy for Griffin to not at least consider his options.

- Jumping to another contender on a max contract might not be simple. As CelticsBlog’s Keith P. Smith pointed out, Boston would have to dump Terry Rozier, waive Tyler Zeller and renounce all its free agents, including Kelly Olynyk, Jonas Jerebko and Amir Johnson, in order to even get near the amount of cap room that would be required to offer Griffin or someone like Gordon Hayward a max deal.

- The Lakers have even less flexibility than the Celtics, thanks to the much-maligned Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng signings last summer. It would take some real magic from their front office to acquire Griffin. The Thunder, too, sacrificed whatever chance they had to chase Griffin when they gave contract extensions to Victor Oladipo and Steven Adams on Halloween.

Yeah it's not really a serious one, but it's a start I guess. Lots of "ifs" and "coulds" LOL.

Apparently if Griffin leaves, he could consider LAL, OKC, or BOS, but all could have some complications signing him as well (cap space issues, letting go of guys, etc.).

He may not be a rebounder like Drummond or DeAndre Jordan, or a superstar big like, say, Anthony Davis, but he is still a legit star who can help this front court with Horford, Zizic, and maybe Amir and/or KO. Even with some of his hops lost due to injury, Stevens is someone who can get the best out of him IMO.

EDIT: Sorry I posted this wrong thread. Mods, you can move it to the "transaction ideas/rumors" thread if needed. Thanks.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Our First Griffin Rumor! (Sort Of)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-clippers-blake-griffin-could-consider-lakers-celtics-in-free-agency/

"That Griffin would also stay and reap the biggest payday he can seems likely, too—in theory. But more and more people around the league believe he would be open to a fresh start—perhaps with the Lakers or the Boston Celtics, who have coveted Griffin for years and would offer a new chance to win. The most intriguing fit might be if he were to go home to Oklahoma to join Russell Westbrook and the Thunder, but his interests in the entertainment industry make staying in Los Angeles a priority."

- Griffin has said next to nothing publicly about his upcoming free agency. Last summer, he told Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated, “If there’s something that anybody hears throughout the course of the season, it’s false, because it didn’t come from me.” He acknowledged that fans would speculate, but he simply wanted to try to win a championship with the Clippers and focus on everything else later.

- It’s worth noting that, even in Ding’s story, it’s not presented as likely that Griffin leaves the Clippers. He would make the most money by re-signing, and there’s no guarantee that going somewhere else would give him a better chance to win.

- It’s hard to overstate the importance of how the rest of this season goes. Los Angeles has been inconsistent this year, with perhaps the widest gulf of any team in the league between its peaks and valleys. Chris Paul and J.J. Redick will be free agents in July, too, and another heartbreaking playoff loss might mean major changes are necessary. As it stands, it looks like the Clippers will likely play the Utah Jazz in the first round. If they are fortunate enough to get past the Jazz, then they will likely meet the Golden State Warriors. If they don’t at least put a scare into the Warriors, then it would be crazy for Griffin to not at least consider his options.

- Jumping to another contender on a max contract might not be simple. As CelticsBlog’s Keith P. Smith pointed out, Boston would have to dump Terry Rozier, waive Tyler Zeller and renounce all its free agents, including Kelly Olynyk, Jonas Jerebko and Amir Johnson, in order to even get near the amount of cap room that would be required to offer Griffin or someone like Gordon Hayward a max deal.

- The Lakers have even less flexibility than the Celtics, thanks to the much-maligned Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng signings last summer. It would take some real magic from their front office to acquire Griffin. The Thunder, too, sacrificed whatever chance they had to chase Griffin when they gave contract extensions to Victor Oladipo and Steven Adams on Halloween.

Yeah it's not really a serious one, but it's a start I guess. Lots of "ifs" and "coulds" LOL.

Apparently if Griffin leaves, he could consider LAL, OKC, or BOS, but all could have some complications signing him as well (cap space issues, letting go of guys, etc.).

He may not be a rebounder like Drummond or DeAndre Jordan, or a superstar big like, say, Anthony Davis, but he is still a legit star who can help this front court with Horford, Zizic, and maybe Amir and/or KO. Even with some of his hops lost due to injury, Stevens is someone who can get the best out of him IMO.

EDIT: Sorry I posted this wrong thread. Mods, you can move it to the "transaction ideas/rumors" thread if needed. Thanks.

I'm no capologist, so I could easily be wrong, but I thought "massive cap room" was/is one of Boston's biggest assets. At least, that's my impression based on what a lot of folks on CB have been saying over the last several months. I thought Boston had the potential—albeit with some crazy maneuvering—to make room for two max guys, not just "one, with difficulty." Have I had it wrong?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I see OKC being the the likely destination for him. But here's to hoping. We need a big addition not a wing or SF. We just drafted our SF (Swing) in JB and next season he'll be ready to get starters min by season end. All this talk of PG13 or Hayward.

I'd much rather add Griffin to the mix...

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm no capologist, so I could easily be wrong, but I thought "massive cap room" was/is one of Boston's biggest assets. At least, that's my impression based on what a lot of folks on CB have been saying over the last several months. I thought Boston had the potential—albeit with some crazy maneuvering—to make room for two max guys, not just "one, with difficulty." Have I had it wrong?

No you're absolutely right. When I said, "cap issues" I was also referencing the other two teams involved.

But BOS would likely have to let go of all of Amir/KO/Jerebko/Zeller/Mickey to have room to sign Griffin. Or keep two of them using the MLE or Bi-Annual Exceptions.

As for the "two stars" theory, that is true as well.

For that to happen:

1. On Draft Day, trade 2017 BKN Pick (with it's cap hold) + Bradley/Crowder + filler in a deal for either Butler/PG13 or someone else maybe.

2. Sign the max-FA while also renouncing and letting go of certain guys as I mentioned above.

Something along those lines.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
On one hand he makes more sense than Hayward. Will fit an obvious area of need next year when we lose Amir and probably Olynyk. However, I dont know if Griffin is a winner.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
On one hand he makes more sense than Hayward. Will fit an obvious area of need next year when we lose Amir and probably Olynyk. However, I dont know if Griffin is a winner.

I mean, people said the same thing about Horford last year...  :P

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

If someone was saying we could get two max players in free agency this year, they were wrong. We could have last year before we signed Al Horford.

According to my calculations using the data at the link below, we can get one max and sign Zizic (but not Yabu) with the biggest unwanted losses being KO, Amir, and JJ (and Rozier if we get the first or second pick and depending on whether Griffin would insist on the absolute max salary). We could also bring back a couple of guys with the exceptions.

Given the roster fit, Griffin works much better as a max as opposed to Hayward IMO.

http://tinyurl.com/mwlveh6
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:28:48 PM by colincb »

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Don't want him

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:07:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Griffin doesn't play C. Al Horford prefers to play PF.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Griffin doesn't play C. Al Horford prefers to play PF.

Horford prefers to win.  He'll play wherever the team needs him most and won't complain in public.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Horford plays center. That's his best position.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think Griffin would thrive in Stevens' system and he'd absolutely love playing next to Al Horford. I'd love to see Griffin come over.

But it's not going to happen. Griffin likes LA and the different opportunities afforded to him there too much and he can make a lot more money by staying.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008