Poll

What To Do With Isaiah Thomas?

Keep Him (Just Pay Him Near Max/Max) - We NEED Him
26 (63.4%)
Trade Him Even If Not For Much (Don't Need Him And His Contract After 2018)
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: To The "Trade IT" Crowd. What Are We Trading Him FOR?  (Read 12364 times)

Re: To The "Trade IT" Crowd. What Are We Trading Him FOR?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If it's a perfect world and the lakers lose their pick to the 76ers maybe we could get one of their top 5 picks this year. Package Bradley + a pick or IT + a pick.

Imagine adding Fultz AND Jackson or Fultz AND Tatum...Although maybe Philly would just trade us 3 and 5 for 1 and Bradley if our picks fell like that
That's a big if! ;) In all honesty, I don't think they will lose their pick, but I would definitely consider trading IT for a top 4/top 5 pick. TP!

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If it's a perfect world and the lakers lose their pick to the 76ers maybe we could get one of their top 5 picks this year. Package Bradley + a pick or IT + a pick.

Imagine adding Fultz AND Jackson or Fultz AND Tatum...Although maybe Philly would just trade us 3 and 5 for 1 and Bradley if our picks fell like that
That's a big if! ;) In all honesty, I don't think they will lose their pick, but I would definitely consider trading IT for a top 4/top 5 pick. TP!

There is like a 45% chance that they do lose their pick so not thinking they will lose their pick is just being a bit pessimistic.

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

There is like a 45% chance that they do lose their pick so not thinking they will lose their pick is just being a bit pessimistic.
Yeah I know. Call me crazy, but I think that the lottery is rigged. If they lose their pick this year they will also lose their 2019 first to the Magic.

2019 first round draft pick to Orlando
If the L.A. Lakers convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their 2019 1st round pick to Orlando; if the L.A. Lakers do not convey a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando [L.A. Lakers-Orlando, 8/10/2012]

No way do they lose both those picks. At least that's what I think.

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I wouldn't trade IT for just picks (he is a top-3 scorer and drafting means unproven players), but a package of Saric + a high pick would be a tempting option, besides the Myles Turner one.

However, I think that IT's being traded depends strongly on two factors:
1. The lottery. If we have a top-2 pick and so the option to select Fultz or Ball, the trade can be closer.
2. Play-off performance. If we get into the NBA finals, for example, with a very good IT, the pressure for not trading IT would be gigantic. Anyway, we know Ainge and he could get the sell-high route.

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I wouldn't trade IT for just picks (he is a top-3 scorer and drafting means unproven players), but a package of Saric + a high pick would be a tempting option, besides the Myles Turner one.

1. The lottery. If we have a top-2 pick and so the option to select Fultz or Ball, the trade can be closer.
2. Play-off performance. If we get into the NBA finals, for example, with a very good IT, the pressure for not trading IT would be gigantic. Anyway, we know Ainge and he could get the sell-high route.
If we go all the way to the Finals, I bet the farm that IT signs the max and goes nowhere. The whole idea behind trading him is that he can't make us true contenders. If we do become true contenders with him leading the way, why on earth would we trade him?

Having said that, I don't believe we are going to the Finals this year (or the year after that for that matter) :(

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

If we go all the way to the Finals, I bet the farm that IT signs the max and goes nowhere. The whole idea behind trading him is that he can't make us true contenders. If we do become true contenders with him leading the way, why on earth would we trade him?

Having said that, I don't believe we are going to the Finals this year (or the year after that for that matter) :(

Unlike the warriors the cavs actually have most of their core contributors locked up long term. (The warriors are royally screwed cap wise and will soon have zero depth minus some elderly bandwagon vets that choose to sign on the minimum)

However Lebron will be 33 next year and their team is only getting older.

We will be losing Olynyk/Amir/Jerebko and gaining a top 4 pick and (likely) a max contract player. Huge net gain if i do say so. The Brooklyn trade lets us do so many things and have depth that teams like the cavs and warriors cant.

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Unlike the warriors the cavs actually have most of their core contributors locked up long term. (The warriors are royally screwed cap wise and will soon have zero depth minus some elderly bandwagon vets that choose to sign on the minimum)

We will be losing Olynyk/Amir/Jerebko and gaining a top 4 pick and (likely) a max contract player. Huge net gain if i do say so.
Speaking about depth, who is gonna play at the 4 for us if we lose Olynyk-Amir-JJ?

Besides this, Kyrie, Love, Thompson and Shumpert are all relatively young. It's not like the Cavs are on the verge of collapse. LeBron is a freak of nature. I can definitely see him playing at a top level for 2-3 more years to say the least.

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think Fultz could have a sinilar style to D-Wade's 2 guard game, it would mean Bradley is gone, but he's going to kill our cap anyways.

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A top 30 protected 1st round pick, of course!

Trade that bum!

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If you're trading IT you've got to tell me where the Celts are getting an elite shot-creator to replace him.

You're nothing in this league without a really good pick and roll ball-handler.  I don't just mean a passer; I mean a guy who can score in a multitude of ways out of the pick and roll.  Pull-up three, pull-up mid-range, get to the basket and finish, draw fouls, pass to the roll man for a dunk, kick out to the perimeter for an open three.  You gotta have a guy with all of those options in his toolbox when he's operating the pick and roll.  And if you want to be any good, you need that guy to be experienced enough to run the pick and roll quite a bit without screwing up.
presumably that would be Fultz or Ball because Boston isn't trading Thomas unless it lands one of those two (and it still might not trade Thomas).  Boston then goes into full rebuilding mode and looks to sell off other players, with the potential for 2 high lottery picks in the 2018 draft which is loaded with front court players.

I know you disagree with me on this, but I think this summer is the tipping point for the roster.   The Celtics either need to commit to the rebuild or go all in on trying to field a real and legit contender.

Ball doesn't really meet all the check boxes that Phosita outlined for running the offense out of the pick & roll.  Ball has almost no 'drive' game other than in transition.  So off pick & roll he has no real dive to the basket.  He shoots or passes off of screens, that's about it.

Fultz has a pretty complete repertoire of offensive skills, but he's just a kid.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

We all know they're keeping the pick and it goes # 1 while we slip to #4.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We all know they're keeping the pick and it goes # 1 while we slip to #4.

I know, I know and what Jvalin had to say about the pick not conveying to Orlando also makes sense, but I still want to believe it is a legit system. Only time will tell - having LAL lose two high first rounders would be wonderful!

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This.  I'm not enamored with IT's game but I'm not blind to the fact he's having a phenomenal year scoring.  I have no qualms with trading him for someone better --> better PG that is capable scorer/better passer/better defender.  I don't believe we will be contenders if he's our best player and I'm concerned his ego has grown where he cannot/will not play second fiddle to someone else.

Having said that, if the C's get to the ECF against Cleveland and make a series of it or better yet get to the finals, I'd happily reconsider my attitude towards IT and trading him vs signing him to a max deal.  I don't like signing a less-than-complete player to a deal of that high cost but if he shows he can put this team on his back and carry it through the playoffs then he is indeed the type of player you pay that kind of money to.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:28:40 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

We will be losing Olynyk/Amir/Jerebko and gaining a top 4 pick and (likely) a max contract player. Huge net gain if i do say so.
Speaking about depth, who is gonna play at the 4 for us if we lose Olynyk-Amir-JJ?

Besides this, Kyrie, Love, Thompson and Shumpert are all relatively young. It's not like the Cavs are on the verge of collapse. LeBron is a freak of nature. I can definitely see him playing at a top level for 2-3 more years to say the least.
No idea who plays PF. I dont think josh jackson can be expected to if we draft him even though hes 6'8. If we get number 1 and draft fultz something will have to give with our roster and wed be forced to flip bradley or smart for a PF. We are getting zicic and yabusele too but i doubt they can contribute substantially in their first year.

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I dont think there is even a trade market out there for IT, he will be on an expiring contract and will certainly command the max in free agency.

Nobody will give up much for ITs contract situation, let alone some high lottery picks, which some guys in here are mentioning...

I think he will walk in Free Agency next summer, because we wont offer him the max (depends on what we get this offseason in FA or trades)