Poll

What To Do With Isaiah Thomas?

Keep Him (Just Pay Him Near Max/Max) - We NEED Him
26 (63.4%)
Trade Him Even If Not For Much (Don't Need Him And His Contract After 2018)
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: To The "Trade IT" Crowd. What Are We Trading Him FOR?  (Read 12460 times)

To The "Trade IT" Crowd. What Are We Trading Him FOR?
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not trying to force anyone to change their minds or anything like that and I'm not targeting anyone, BUT I'm wondering what people think when they support the idea of trading Isaiah Thomas for "good value". Like WHAT do they want/expect in return?

The most common sentiment around here it seems is, "We need to trade IT this summer because his value will never be higher".

The problem with that is, no way trading IT gets us a Westbrook or Lilliard back in return. That's what people act like we will get in an IT return.

And are we seriously considering trading Isaiah Thomas for a 2017 First Rounder and maybe a future pick or role player? Really???

Also Isaiah becomes an expiring next season, so no way he fetches that much value anyways.

Trading away IT is the equivalent of WAS trading away Beal, or TOR trading away either DeRozan/Lowry. Those teams aren't legit final contenders either, so shouldn't they trade away their stars as well and try again?

Without him, lets be honest, this is a lottery team that would struggle to be at .500 for the season.

"Take one step back, two steps forward" might sound nice, but ultimately you turn a #2 seed into a lottery team, and then if, god forbid, the next few picks DON'T become legit scorers like IT and his 29 PPG is, then this team will continue to be a rebuilding team for YEARS to come (even more than 4-5+ years).

My preference is to keep all of Smart/Bradley/IT and pay a big luxury tax to field a contender, but if we were to trade anyone I'd trade Bradley for some moderate front court help and keep Smart (makes winning plays) and IT (legit scorer - we don't have another).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: To The "Trade IT" Crowd. What Are We Trading Him FOR?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As I proposed in "Next Years Roster" thread, if we draft a PG (real possibility), a logical trade is Isaiah to Indiana for Miles Turner and draft considerations. I said two second rounders which may be a first, lottery protected.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline justice

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
I agree, and I'm betting Danny is on the same page.

Look- like it or not, IT has turned into a legit star & top player in this league. As almost all players do, he has a weakness. Defense will never be a strength of his, but his offensive prowess is almost unparalleled in the NBA. He's a force for this team, and you see what happens when he misses games. His weakness happens to be a team strength, so I'm not obsessed with what he can't do.

He is 100% worth a max deal- look at how much players got paid last summer. If we don't pay him, most of the league will be more than happy to, and they should be.

In addition, considering our best players are in their mid/late 20s to early 30s, and seeing how we may secure the #1 seed in the East, it makes ZERO sense to trade him for pennies on the dollar, let him walk in free agency or trade him for a freaking draft pick. This team is ready to contend, with a ton of great assets coming our way- absolutely NO reason to blow it up or under-value him.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
As I proposed in "Next Years Roster" thread, if we draft a PG (real possibility), a logical trade is Isaiah to Indiana for Miles Turner and draft considerations. I said two second rounders which may be a first, lottery protected.

I'd still want more.

An IT-for-Turner swap seems underwhelming. I'd want maybe an unprotected first rounder back and another role player in the deal.

29-30 PPG scorers aren't that common around the league as it is.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'd offer him to the Lakers for example if they land a top 3 pick. I think someone will trade a top 3 pick for him. Could even see Philly doing it. We can then sign Hayward and trade for George. Seems like a stacked team for the next 10 years.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd offer him to the Lakers for example if they land a top 3 pick. I think someone will trade a top 3 pick for him. Could even see Philly doing it. We can then sign Hayward and trade for George. Seems like a stacked team for the next 10 years.

Interesting idea. I doubt a team would honestly (IT is an expiring this summer). But so is Paul George. A lot depends on whether each guy agrees on long term commitments to certain teams.

But if they did it would be an interesting summer honestly.

We'd have to hope Hayward signs on board though.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I don't see Indy being interested in this trade at all. They've got a rookie scale contract player in Myles Turner who is putting up 15 pts, 7 reb and 2 blocks a game.

I'd still want more.

An IT-for-Turner swap seems underwhelming. I'd want maybe an unprotected first rounder back and another role player in the deal.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't see Indy being interested in this trade at all. They've got a rookie scale contract player in Myles Turner who is putting up 15 pts, 7 reb and 2 blocks a game.

I'd still want more.

Turner's going to suffer a major leg injury. Soon.

Pass.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
When some people say this trade isn't enough for us and some say Indi wouldn't accept it, we may be in the right path  :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Brooklyn's 2018 pick  and IT for their pick this year and Simmons. Potentially get Fultz, Simmons, and a guy like Tatum or Monk.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Man, I like the way you do business!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Miles Turner? Indy would never do that.
IT is a great player but in all honesty they are going to have the same fears we have. He's a 5'7" PG commanding the max that will bring him into his mid 30's. I also have to believe some GM's think he is a product of Stevens system.

I think the logical trade partner if any would be New Orleans but I wouldn't expect anything crazy in return for him.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you're trading IT you've got to tell me where the Celts are getting an elite shot-creator to replace him.

You're nothing in this league without a really good pick and roll ball-handler.  I don't just mean a passer; I mean a guy who can score in a multitude of ways out of the pick and roll.  Pull-up three, pull-up mid-range, get to the basket and finish, draw fouls, pass to the roll man for a dunk, kick out to the perimeter for an open three.  You gotta have a guy with all of those options in his toolbox when he's operating the pick and roll.  And if you want to be any good, you need that guy to be experienced enough to run the pick and roll quite a bit without screwing up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

I'd still want more.

and Indiana wouldn't make that trade.  To them Turner is more valuable than Thomas.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Lebron