Author Topic: Ainge looking good in Kevin O'Connor's 2016 redraft  (Read 4886 times)

Re: Ainge looking good in Kevin O'Connor's 2016 redraft
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't know how anybody can draw any conclusions from how a guy plays in the Chinese league.

On the one hand, just because you're forced to play there for $$ doesn't mean you can't play in the NBA. Beasley and Jor. Crawford are a couple examples of that.

On the other hand, my main reservations about Yabu are his lack of quickness and size, neither of which are likely to be exposed in the Chinese League.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I don't know how anybody can draw any conclusions from how a guy plays in the Chinese league.

On the one hand, just because you're forced to play there for $$ doesn't mean you can't play in the NBA. Beasley and Jor. Crawford are a couple examples of that.

On the other hand, my main reservations about Yabu are his lack of quickness and size, neither of which are likely to be exposed in the Chinese League.
maybe he just moved up him because everyone else has just been bad.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
One positive, imho, about Yabusele having spent this year in the CBA, is that the assistant coach for the Sharks was Brain Goorjian.   For those who don't know who that is, he is an American, but most famous for his massive success as a head coach in the Australian National Basketball League.  He is considered to be a brilliant basketball coach.

I'd like to think that his presence on the staff of the Sharks had a lot to do with why that team was chosen for Yabusele to be stashed on this year.    Yes, the level of competition is not much better than a mid-level NCAA conference.  But he almost certainly got nothing but a positive coaching and development experience out of his time there.

Similarly, I think the opportunity for Zizic to get several months of time under Coach Blatt during his stint in the EuroLeague is a fantastic development opportunity.

Both these guys are peer age with kids coming out of this 2017 draft, but instead of having spent this year playing schoolboys under NCAA coaches who ... often aren't really all that vested in the development of pro players , they have spent the year playing in professional environments playing with and against mostly older pro players and under highly respected pro coaches.   I expect both to be far better prepared for life in the NBA when they finally show up as rookies than the typical NCAA rookie.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
One positive, imho, about Yabusele having spent this year in the CBA, is that the assistant coach for the Sharks was Brain Goorjian.   For those who don't know who that is, he is an American, but most famous for his massive success as a head coach in the Australian National Basketball League.  He is considered to be a brilliant basketball coach.

I'd like to think that his presence on the staff of the Sharks had a lot to do with why that team was chosen for Yabusele to be stashed on this year.    Yes, the level of competition is not much better than a mid-level NCAA conference.  But he almost certainly got nothing but a positive coaching and development experience out of his time there.

Similarly, I think the opportunity for Zizic to get several months of time under Coach Blatt during his stint in the EuroLeague is a fantastic development opportunity.

Both these guys are peer age with kids coming out of this 2017 draft, but instead of having spent this year playing schoolboys under NCAA coaches who ... often aren't really all that vested in the development of pro players , they have spent the year playing in professional environments playing with and against mostly older pro players and under highly respected pro coaches.   I expect both to be far better prepared for life in the NBA when they finally show up as rookies than the typical NCAA rookie.

TP Thanks for sharing the information about the two coaches. Makes me feel a little better about the Yabu pick. Still skeptical though. If he can learn to rebound like Sully and develop NBA defensive skills, then this could be a great pick. Because we know he can shoot. 

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Great points.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

maybe he just moved up him because everyone else has just been bad.

That was my guess.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
One thing I couldn't understand and upset me is why Danny didn't draft Zubac. Now I find out he had that serious ankle surgery. Could be a problem down the road. Maybe not drafting him will prove to be a good decision.   

With Zubac, I kind of think his recent production isn't unlike Jahlil Okafor's rookie campaign, in that he can't play defense, he is being force-fed possessions, and the team is pretty blatantly using his 'excellent play' as a means to losing lots of games.

You'll know Zizic is good if he is brought along similarly to Jaylen Brown.
With Zubac, I am wondering if the reason we didn't draft him is that he outright said no to being willing to wait at least 1 year before coming over to the NBA. Based on the fact that we "reached" on Yabu and then took Zizic with the final 2016 1st rounder I think Ainge was going with only draft and stash options for the remaining picks that he used.

Yep, its what I think as well. Going at the 2016 draft, I was disappointed when Ainge drafted Yabusele at 16, not because of anything else but because I wanted to draft Zizic there so no one can steal him. After we drafted Zizic the no.16 pick didnt matter to me.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

This was kind of my point, or rather that playing well in China doesn't say a single thing about you other than that you're not a bad player in the CBA. I'd value D-League dominance more. It doesn't mean he can't play, but don't go trotting out those numbers when Carlos Boozer can do the exact same thing in fewer minutes and from the bench. Cuz that's the CBA.

I chose Carlos Boozer because I heard someone say recently, 'Carlos Boozer is playing in China', and I thought their body types were a little similar.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
There was a podcast (IIRC) where Mike Malone (DEN coach) was talking with I think WOJ, but he said right after summer league, 'We had just stolen the Celtics guy at 15 and we feel pretty good about that, we think he's going to be a player' (this is probably a very badly remembered quote so, apologies).

This is interesting. If Malone is right, It would have been Juan Hernanogomez who's been very good and looks like he might be the best big man to come out of this draft. If he'd fallen one slot we'd be talking about this as just a stellar draft by Ainge - a top wing prospect and 2 of the best bigs.

Oh well. We have an embarrassment of riches as it is, I won't complain.