Author Topic: Lowe: George wants to play with Hayward  (Read 1422 times)

Lowe: George wants to play with Hayward
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
"George would love to play with hometown boy Gordon Hayward, according to sources, but that would appear unlikely"
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18959003/zach-lowe-paul-george-future-indiana-pacers

I am thinking this may also work in converse... if PG wants to play with GH, perhaps GH wants to play with PG. If we trade for PG, do you think it improves our chances of signing GH? Additionally, if we have both... I think that makes our chances of getting PG to commit to be higher, given we would acquire a player he wants to play with.

I think we certainly have to consolidate assets after a while due to there simply not being enough minutes to go around (know Wyc would probably pay tax if we were contenders)... If we could land PG, could we also land GH?

As Wyc said... we're 2 players away. I thought that was a very specific number for him to just say it off the top of his head, given how he and Danny talk. Perhaps this is our plan... PG + GH = banner 18?

Re: Lowe: George wants to play with Hayward
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
This would mean IT would probably be gone. How do you pay PG13, GH, IT and Horford?

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This would mean IT would probably be gone. How do you pay PG13, GH, IT and Horford?

Step 1: Sell tickets, including for lots of playoff games
Step 2: Rake in money from TV deals
Step 3: Pay those 4 the ~$110 million or less you would owe them per year after 2018, which is still under the tax line, and be happy that Bird Rights exist
Step 4: Fill the roster with rookie contracts, underpaid guys like Crowder, and ring-chasing vets and be barely above the tax line (projected around $132 million in 2018-19, the first year of IT and PG's new contracts in this situation).  And I don't see why the team wouldn't be willing to pay a bit of luxury tax to keep guys like Smart, since this team would be competing for a championship.  Bradley and the 2017 pick would likely be gone in a trade for George.
Step 5: Win a couple of Championships before Horford's contract expires, and convince him to resign for less, just in time for superstar Jaylen Brown getting his max contract.  Then win a couple more championships and laugh at the Lakers after winning #21 and having a 5 title lead

Okay, Step 5 might just be wishful thinking from me, but the rest would work.

Edit: Also, this thread should probably be merged with this one from a few days ago:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=89939.0
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Step 3: Pay those 4 the ~$110 million or less you would owe them per year after 2018, which is still under the tax line, and be happy that Bird Rights exist
Step 4: Fill the roster with rookie contracts, underpaid guys like Crowder, and ring-chasing vets and be barely above the tax line (projected around $132 million in 2018-19, the first year of IT and PG's new contracts in this situation).  And I don't see why the team wouldn't be willing to pay a bit of luxury tax to keep guys like Smart, since this team would be competing for a championship.  Bradley and the 2017 pick would likely be gone in a trade for George.
Step 5: Win a couple of Championships before Horford's contract expires, and convince him to resign for less, just in time for superstar Jaylen Brown getting his max contract.  Then win a couple more championships and laugh at the Lakers after winning #21 and having a 5 title lead

Edit: Also, this thread should probably be merged with this one from a few days ago:

I like the sound of that lol, though for some reason I think it'll be hard to keep Smart/Brown/Crowder if we have those 4, Danny is gonna have to work a lot of magic to retain those 3, I would assume Brown + Bradley would go for a deal for George no?

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Saltlover has done some good capology work to understand how we would fit such a scenario. And the good news, it is possible to make it happen.

The bottom line is we would need to rid ourselves of Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green, etc. and we would need to sign KO after the trade was completed in order to have a roster which could support all of the above (IT, Hayward, PG13, Horford). And even by doing so, we'd have only 1 year of this situation with impending FA contracts heading to IT, Bradley and Smart.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I like the sound of that lol, though for some reason I think it'll be hard to keep Smart/Brown/Crowder if we have those 4, Danny is gonna have to work a lot of magic to retain those 3, I would assume Brown + Bradley would go for a deal for George no?

Brown will be under a rookie contract until Horford's expires, so I wouldn't worry about him.  Crowder's good until the same time, so there's not much to worry about there, either (both of these are assuming that Horford would be signing for less after his contract expires - I think that's a pretty safe bet given that he'll be 34 at that point.  Smart will be looking for a new contract at the same time as IT and PG, so he's the big question mark.  If he improves his shooting again an keeps up his winning plays, I could see ownership being okay with keeping him.  It shouldn't take any magic by Danny to keep them due to Bird rights, just a bit of time convincing ownership.

As for a trade for George, we would need $15.6 million going out for salary matching purposes (assuming that we used our cap space before that).  Trying to form a trade around AB and Brown means you need to add another $2 million or so added to the deal.  Rozier could work (if he wasn't traded to make space for Hayward), but I doubt AB/Brown/Rozier is enough for George, and adding one of the Nets picks to that would be too much.  AB+2017 pick (after signing)+minor filler (like Jackson) would be my offer for George, and if that wasn't enough I'd walk away. Butler would still be an option, as would looking for a big man to pair with Horford for an IT/Hayward/Crowder/Horford/Other Big lineup
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Saltlover has done some good capology work to understand how we would fit such a scenario. And the good news, it is possible to make it happen.

The bottom line is we would need to rid ourselves of Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green, etc. and we would need to sign KO after the trade was completed in order to have a roster which could support all of the above (IT, Hayward, PG13, Horford). And even by doing so, we'd have only 1 year of this situation with impending FA contracts heading to IT, Bradley and Smart.

That is not accurate.  In order to create max cap space, we would need to renounce our rights to Olynyk.  Unless he was willing to sign for the room exception or to a minimum contract (which he won't), he will be gone if we sign a max FA.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Bitter Jim for president