Author Topic: Do Individual Games Matter (More Than They Should)?  (Read 1169 times)

Do Individual Games Matter (More Than They Should)?
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was going to post this anyway but the Paul George comment thread convinced me it's a legit question.

In terms of FA signings, or a player's willingness to accept a trade to a team, how important are the individual games that player experiences, relative to the more objective evidence like overall W/L records?

Like tonight, PG has a great game, but the C's win. Does this move the needle for him? He already knows we are good, but does the actual experience of losing to us really impact him? If the C's have the same team and end up 52-30 with no wins against the Pacers, is he less likely to want to play for us? Compared to 52-30 but with three wins against the Pacers?

Speaking as a competitor in various things (but not at this level obviously), I would say those individual experiences are hugely important. Maybe out of proportion to their true value, in a way.

It's kind of interesting to think about, because it means these little things like sweeping the Pacers could mean a lot.

Worth noting, for example, that we swept Utah this year. Does that play into Hayward's decision, more than two wins against other teams would?

Thoughts?

Re: Do Individual Games Matter (More Than They Should)?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think PG saying the stuff about Hayward is still interested in staying in INDY because it was a clear attempt to lure him home to play with PG.   I think us winning might change the dial for some and it turns some people off.   We beat LeBron so much, I do not think he would come here.   He considers us the enemy.  I do think the way we played was a factor in drawing Horford though.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Depends on if you think PG is worth more to the Celtics than a healthy Crowder and AB and picks ....what ever it takes to bring him aboard

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Depends on if you think PG is worth more to the Celtics than a healthy Crowder and AB and picks ....what ever it takes to bring him aboard
Yeah, how PG feels is not really the issue.  He has to be traded to Boston.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Speaking as a competitor in various things (but not at this level obviously), I would say those individual experiences are hugely important. Maybe out of proportion to their true value, in a way.

It's kind of interesting to think about, because it means these little things like sweeping the Pacers could mean a lot.

Worth noting, for example, that we swept Utah this year. Does that play into Hayward's decision, more than two wins against other teams would?
I agree with this. I think emotions and experience weighs heavy on anyone's decision even when they're trying to be objective. George seeing first hand how the Celtics play together probably has a stronger impact on him than just knowing the team won 52 games (or however many wins they wind up with).

Look no further than Al Horford, who said he came over, in part, after hearing the Boston crowd during the playoffs. The overall winning matters but the individual experience matters a lot, too.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yeah, how PG feels is not really the issue.  He has to be traded to Boston.
He is a free agent after 2018.  Boston is not going to trade for him unless Boston believes there is a very good chance he would re-sign in Boston.  So what he thinks of Boston absolutely matters from that perspective.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think BB is right, individual experiences do matter.  It's pretty easy to see these guys as players and not individuals who have a complex set of emotions.  Seeing a great atmosphere in Boston has to help our cause.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Human decision making (nearly) always depends on multiple factors. Simply said, more factors will be taken into consideration with more important decisions. While the factors when making a specfic sort of decision are pretty similar for most persons, the importance of each factor can vary a lot for each individual. Therefore, it does matter. To which degree? Only PG knows.  :angel: