Author Topic: Nets to pursue KCP  (Read 1920 times)

Nets to pursue KCP
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245380/Nets-To-Pursue-Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope-In-Free-Agency

He is better than Tyler Johnson or Allen Crabbe in my opinion so would be a better get than what they went after last season. Sounds like Pistons are on fence whether to match a max.

Re: Nets to pursue KCP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245380/Nets-To-Pursue-Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope-In-Free-Agency

He is better than Tyler Johnson or Allen Crabbe in my opinion so would be a better get than what they went after last season. Sounds like Pistons are on fence whether to match a max.

They'll match.  Teams always do.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The Celtics pursues Durant too.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

They'll match.  Teams always do.
They don't always match, but I would expect them to at least get something from the Nets by threatening to match.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
My friend is the biggest Detroit Homer I've ever met and is praying the Nets sign KCP. 

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Offering a massive deal is pretty much the only way the Nets can sign someone.

Let them throw money at KCP, he is a chucker and while he might help them win some games they will still be a bad team.  A bad team that is paying KCP $20 million+ a year....

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Isn't KCP the basically the same as Rondae Hollis-Jefferson?

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Isn't KCP the basically the same as Rondae Hollis-Jefferson?

Aside from their long names, no.  KCP is more like Evan Fournier.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Let them throw money at KCP, he is a chucker and while he might help them win some games they will still be a bad team.  A bad team that is paying KCP $20 million+ a year....

The issue is that KCP would be an immediate upgrade for them, while the salary would really only have a serious impact during the summer of 2018 and later.  This would be really great news if we owned their picks after 2018, but if he's the best player they can add this summer then it'll hurt the pick more than help it.

That said, I don't think KCP would improve them that much, so I wouldn't be too worried (not to mention the possibility that Detroit matches).  I do wonder if the Pistons would be willing to have both Reggie Jackson and KCP on the books for ~$35 million combined, though (and if they don't want both on the books, whether they'd look to trade Jackson or just let KCP go)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The issue is that KCP would be an immediate upgrade for them, while the salary would really only have a serious impact during the summer of 2018 and later.  This would be really great news if we owned their picks after 2018, but if he's the best player they can add this summer then it'll hurt the pick more than help it.

That said, I don't think KCP would improve them that much, so I wouldn't be too worried (not to mention the possibility that Detroit matches).  I do wonder if the Pistons would be willing to have both Reggie Jackson and KCP on the books for ~$35 million combined, though (and if they don't want both on the books, whether they'd look to trade Jackson or just let KCP go)
Since they were rumored to be trying to trade Jackson at the deadline, I assume they would look to move him.

KCP has improved each of his first 4 seasons.  He isn't going to be a great player, but he plays solid defense and is a fairly decent shooter.  I think he could be an Avery Bradley type player if he continues his trajectory (maybe not quite as dynamic defensively, but could be a bit better overall offensively).  He isn't going to do much for the win column alone, but he would be a very nice addition for the Nets and could bump them up a spot or two in the standings given how close teams at the bottom usually are record wise.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Since they were rumored to be trying to trade Jackson at the deadline, I assume they would look to move him.

KCP has improved each of his first 4 seasons.  He isn't going to be a great player, but he plays solid defense and is a fairly decent shooter.  I think he could be an Avery Bradley type player if he continues his trajectory (maybe not quite as dynamic defensively, but could be a bit better overall offensively).  He isn't going to do much for the win column alone, but he would be a very nice addition for the Nets and could bump them up a spot or two in the standings given how close teams at the bottom usually are record wise.

Agreed.  I just wonder who would be willing to give anything up for Jackson (since I can't see them giving him away for nothing)

Maybe the 76ers if they don't get a PG in the draft? Or would the Nets try to pick him up for cap space and maybe a late 1st (ours or Washington's)? Maybe the Mavs?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I can see them going after Otto Porter too.
Maybe even some of our guys.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Agreed.  I just wonder who would be willing to give anything up for Jackson (since I can't see them giving him away for nothing)

Maybe the 76ers if they don't get a PG in the draft? Or would the Nets try to pick him up for cap space and maybe a late 1st (ours or Washington's)? Maybe the Mavs?
I could see any number of teams potentially having a need for Jackson.  The real question is what would Detroit want for him.  I mean Chicago (if they don't move Butler) would make sense.  Dallas would make sense.  Brooklyn or NY makes sense.  Indiana makes sense.  And I'm sure other teams do as well, especially depending on drafts, trades, free agency, etc.