Author Topic: Robin Lopez and Ibaka Exchange Punches  (Read 3322 times)

Robin Lopez and Ibaka Exchange Punches
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
May have been as close to an actual fight as the great Malice in the Palace.  Lopez came close to landing a nice throw, and while it wasn't flush, Ibaka actually connected. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18971631/bulls-robin-lopez-raptors-serge-ibaka-ejected-exchanging-punches

See PJ Tucker aggressively pulling Ibaka away, too.  He was also a nice deadline acquisition.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Robin Lopez and Ibaka Exchange Punches
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:20:13 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's about time we got a decent fight in the NBA! More please!

Speaking of bad blood, our bad blood with the Wizards seemed to be gone last game. At the end IT and Crowder and Bradley were genuinely shaking hands and wishing Wizards players well, and vice versa.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Speaking of bad blood, our bad blood with the Wizards seemed to be gone last game. At the end IT and Crowder and Bradley were genuinely shaking hands and wishing Wizards players well, and vice versa.

Absolutely.  It's refreshing with all the cupcakery happening in GS and CLE. 

That's interesting.  Maybe a mutual respect between two young, top teams in the conference.  I wasn't able to watch most of the game, did that include John Wall?

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:38:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Love the old NHL videos where they used to run a "tale of the tape" graphic on the screen when the gloves came off.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Love the old NHL videos where they used to run a "tale of the tape" graphic on the screen when the gloves came off.

Definitely.  Someone posted in the game thread last night that Tommy yelled "If this turns in to an old Bruins game, I want a stick!"

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:14:11 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I think they should allow fighting in the NBA like they do in the NHL but anyone looking to take a swing has to put on rollerskates.
ok fine

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

That's interesting.  Maybe a mutual respect between two young, top teams in the conference.  I wasn't able to watch most of the game, did that include John Wall?

Tyronn Lue was dissing the Celtics and Wizards. Maybe these two teams can unite and trash the Cavaliers  ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Don't know, but during the Wizards broadcast, they mentioned that IT and Wall hung out briefly during the day on Monday.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
May have been as close to an actual fight as the great Malice in the Palace.  Lopez came close to landing a nice throw, and while it wasn't flush, Ibaka actually connected. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18971631/bulls-robin-lopez-raptors-serge-ibaka-ejected-exchanging-punches

See PJ Tucker aggressively pulling Ibaka away, too.  He was also a nice deadline acquisition.
It's hard to figure out what started this...seems like Ibaka shoved Lopez in the back?

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:52:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Ibaka may have hit Lopez's ear with the breeze from his hand.  NBA players have the worst punching accuracy out of any athletes or people in general that I've ever seen.  I'm guessing it's because their bodies are so long.

But I agree that it's refreshing to see actual punches thrown instead of players just running their mouths.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 05:03:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Generally, I think people land punches in a decent fight. This was two guys who could not even land a punch with someone holding the other guy.   Which is a good thing because if Lopez connected his punch was thrown with real intent to harm but I think Ibaka would have hurt his hand the way he punched.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This is the first time in a long time where I thought if it wasn't broken up this might have actually turned into a real fight between these two. Usually it's a lot of chest puffing and finger wagging.

I don't like fighting in the NBA but I did like seeing some emotion that was backed up by what I thought looked like real intention to throw down.

1 game suspension seems fair.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it's the shame the NBA has become such a marshmallow league.  miss the days when a player could take down (clothesline) an opposing player on a drive and only get called for a foul.  enough of this flagrant 1 and 2 stuff.  need to develop more bad blood between franchises instead of this buddy-buddy garbage.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Generally, I think people land punches in a decent fight. This was two guys who could not even land a punch with someone holding the other guy.   Which is a good thing because if Lopez connected his punch was thrown with real intent to harm but I think Ibaka would have hurt his hand the way he punched.

Jalen Rose said it best (I love his player perspective, IMO he is the best in that approach and the way he articulates players POV)
"Slap the guy, don't punch" - he said a couple of years back
His + mine take:
Pros: - can't injure hand (money-makers)
         - less chance to injure the target
         - bigger chance to connect
         - it is more disrespectful than a punch, therefore you achieve your goal of antagonizing the opponent more efficiently, cause you know they will break it up in a matter of secs.

Cons: - some might think that you fight like a girl, a smart one at that. :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:49:12 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm surprised they only got 1 game each. Figured it would be at least 2.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip