Author Topic: Robin Lopez and Ibaka Exchange Punches  (Read 3351 times)

Re: Robin Lopez and Ibaka Exchange Punches
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
it's the shame the NBA has become such a marshmallow league.  miss the days when a player could take down (clothesline) an opposing player on a drive and only get called for a foul.  enough of this flagrant 1 and 2 stuff.  need to develop more bad blood between franchises instead of this buddy-buddy garbage.
Not a shame at all. I don't see why kids should watch their idols in a fist fight or playing dirty. Not a good lesson. 

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's about time we got a decent fight in the NBA! More please!

Generally, I think people land punches in a decent fight. This was two guys who could not even land a punch with someone holding the other guy.   Which is a good thing because if Lopez connected his punch was thrown with real intent to harm but I think Ibaka would have hurt his hand the way he punched.

Jalen Rose said it best (I love his player perspective, IMO he is the best in that approach and the way he articulates players POV)
"Slap the guy, don't punch" - he said a couple of years back
His + mine take:
Pros: - can't injure hand (money-makers)
         - less chance to injure the target
         - bigger chance to connect
         - it is more disrespectful than a punch, therefore you achieve your goal of antagonizing the opponent more efficiently, cause you know they will break it up in a matter of secs.

Cons: - some might think that you fight like a girl, a smart one at that. :D
Not really a fan of slapping.  Yeah it's disrespectful but you do look like a girl and it's not going to hurt the guy so he could respond by knocking you out with a real punch.  But of course nobody lands a punch in the nba.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
it's the shame the NBA has become such a marshmallow league.  miss the days when a player could take down (clothesline) an opposing player on a drive and only get called for a foul.  enough of this flagrant 1 and 2 stuff.  need to develop more bad blood between franchises instead of this buddy-buddy garbage.
It seems that most people who posted here about wanting real fighting were a little tongue-in-cheek about it.  You seem serious.  Flagrant foul rules are a good thing, IMO.  As a league there has been movement in the right direction since McHale clotheslined Rambis, and the Detroit fight. The NBA should not turn into the NHL.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It's about time we got a decent fight in the NBA! More please!

Generally, I think people land punches in a decent fight. This was two guys who could not even land a punch with someone holding the other guy.   Which is a good thing because if Lopez connected his punch was thrown with real intent to harm but I think Ibaka would have hurt his hand the way he punched.

Jalen Rose said it best (I love his player perspective, IMO he is the best in that approach and the way he articulates players POV)
"Slap the guy, don't punch" - he said a couple of years back
His + mine take:
Pros: - can't injure hand (money-makers)
         - less chance to injure the target
         - bigger chance to connect
         - it is more disrespectful than a punch, therefore you achieve your goal of antagonizing the opponent more efficiently, cause you know they will break it up in a matter of secs.

Cons: - some might think that you fight like a girl, a smart one at that. :D
Not really a fan of slapping.  Yeah it's disrespectful but you do look like a girl and it's not going to hurt the guy so he could respond by knocking you out with a real punch.  But of course nobody lands a punch in the nba.

One of the safest places on earth is in the middle of an nba fist fight.