Poll

Which draft would you rather have the #1 pick in?

15 (32.6%)
31 (67.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: POLL: Would you rather have the #1 pick in 2017 or 2018?  (Read 4743 times)

Re: POLL: Would you rather have the #1 pick in 2017 or 2018?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This year.

Next years class hasn't played a game of upper level basketball yet.   Haven't had the chance to have their game picked apart by scouts.

This years class has and they haven't been knocked down like most classes.

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
THIS year.

I understand the argument for 2018: We don't know how good the class is, and 1st in 2018 gaurentees a shot at the best player in the draft. We know how great 2017 is for the most part and any of 5-6 players projected in the top ten may turn out to be the best player of the draft. Assuming the nets pick doesn't get worse (looks like a safe assumption) the Celtics are already in the money for the best player of the draft this year. Making next year's pick a certain #1 is the smart thing to do.

THAT SAID---

Fultz is out of this world. He is clear cut better than everyone and I think there's more of a drop off between him and Baal than there is between Ball and the next 4-5 players. Fultz is a transcendent player and even though he doesn't fit our team, he's just THAT GOOD that I take guaranteed Fultz and run laughing all the way to the bank.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
THIS year.

I understand the argument for 2018: We don't know how good the class is, and 1st in 2018 gaurentees a shot at the best player in the draft. We know how great 2017 is for the most part and any of 5-6 players projected in the top ten may turn out to be the best player of the draft. Assuming the nets pick doesn't get worse (looks like a safe assumption) the Celtics are already in the money for the best player of the draft this year. Making next year's pick a certain #1 is the smart thing to do.

THAT SAID---

Fultz is out of this world. He is clear cut better than everyone and I think there's more of a drop off between him and Baal than there is between Ball and the next 4-5 players. Fultz is a transcendent player and even though he doesn't fit our team, he's just THAT GOOD that I take guaranteed Fultz and run laughing all the way to the bank.

I agree that Fultz' ability is on deific levels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This year.

Next years class hasn't played a game of upper level basketball yet.   Haven't had the chance to have their game picked apart by scouts.

Plenty of players have been knocked down, and some others moved up.  Now sure Fultz and Ball have been pretty consistently at the top of the draft, but they are also guards.  Draftexpress for 2018 has pretty consistently had the first guard not selected until 7 or later.  Most of the top tier talent are legit C's or PF's.  Getting an elite big is much harder to do.  Plus you have the total uncertainty with the Nets.  Who knows, maybe this is the year they actually land a big free agent or two and aren't near the bottom of the standings next year.  If you guarantee yourself the #1 pick in 2018 coupled with your already guaranteed top 5 pick this year, you just increase your odds greatly of getting two top tier prospects as opposed to just 1, especially when Boston might just end up with 2 this year and 1 next year in this scenario.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I agree that Fultz' ability is on deific levels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal

Hahah I've made that mistake countless times--I've usually caught it/corrected it, but I guess this time it came out.

As a huge Star Gate SG1 fan, and an even bigger Diablo 2 fan, I am familiar with Baal.

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
This year.

Doncic has played more "upper level basketball" than anyone in college could in four years.