Author Topic: Ball or Jackson- Whose Stock Rises Most in Next 2 Weeks?  (Read 3836 times)

Ball or Jackson- Whose Stock Rises Most in Next 2 Weeks?
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
With UCLA's Lonzo Ball and Kansas's Josh Jackson the 2 consensus top 4 picks (for us at least) left in the NCAA tournament, I'm curious whose stock you think will rise most?  Conversely, can Jackson take what most believe is Ball's status as the #2 guy, or can either reach #1?  Who will earn the most hype heading into pre-draft workouts based on the rest of the tourney?

Feel free to also chime in on Fox, Monk and Markaanen if so inclined.  While Ball could be the best player in the draft I'm feeling more love for Jackson, and kind of hope they don't reach the final 4 so he's still likely around at 3 (I like Fultz/Jackson best). 

I'm also thinking that Ball might have more ability to raise his stock- if he wins it all as a 3 seed it probably looks more impressive.  Then again, if Jackson drops 25-10-4 and hits a few 3's in a losing effort, can't see that hurting him much.

I thought this question was unique enough for its own thread, but if not my apologies.  Also, it's good to go from lurker to poster again after remembering my old password!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Ball or Jackson- Whose Stock Rises Most in Next 2 Weeks?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
They both played very well last game, but it seems Ball has gotten a lot more buzz from it in the press. May have to do with lingering effects of bad publicity that Jackson received from his recent legal issues. 

I would be really pumped to get any of Jackson, Ball or Fultz. Tatum would be a slight drop off in my view, but am happy to be proven wrong.

Of course, there is someone in this coming draft who will surprise us all in a few years. Always is.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would be really pumped to get any of Jackson, Ball or Fultz. Tatum would be a slight drop off in my view, but am happy to be proven wrong.

To echo that...

Chad Ford
One long-time NBA GM to me just now: "There are 3, maybe 4, No. 1 picks in this draft -- Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson for sure. Maybe Jayson Tatum too. All of those guys have star potential. " Jackson certainly made his case today with an elite performance against Michigan State. He's the best two-way player in the draft.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
With UCLA's Lonzo Ball and Kansas's Josh Jackson the 2 consensus top 4 picks (for us at least) left in the NCAA tournament, I'm curious whose stock you think will rise most?  Conversely, can Jackson take what most believe is Ball's status as the #2 guy, or can either reach #1?  Who will earn the most hype heading into pre-draft workouts based on the rest of the tourney?

Feel free to also chime in on Fox, Monk and Markaanen if so inclined.  While Ball could be the best player in the draft I'm feeling more love for Jackson, and kind of hope they don't reach the final 4 so he's still likely around at 3 (I like Fultz/Jackson best). 

I'm also thinking that Ball might have more ability to raise his stock- if he wins it all as a 3 seed it probably looks more impressive.  Then again, if Jackson drops 25-10-4 and hits a few 3's in a losing effort, can't see that hurting him much.

I thought this question was unique enough for its own thread, but if not my apologies.  Also, it's good to go from lurker to poster again after remembering my old password!

Forgive me Smoke a Blount. That's too funny that you forgot your password you know with the name smoke a Blount.

Tp Dude, and that's a Tommy point in case you forgot lol..

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Forgive me Smoke a Blount. That's too funny that you forgot your password you know with the name smoke a Blount.

Tp Dude, and that's a Tommy point in case you forgot lol..

Yeah wow, yeah, I didn't even think of that. I created this account when the immortal Mark Blount was our starting center, so long ago that I doubt anyone gets the weak pun and just thinks I love blunts but can't spell the word right. I probably should have just said nothing, so no one has to remember that Mark Blount was ever our starting center. Real nice analysis on the Smart / AB lineups in that AB thread btw. 

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Jackson's stock will rose more, because Kansas will advance further.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
They both played very well last game, but it seems Ball has gotten a lot more buzz from it in the press. May have to do with lingering effects of bad publicity that Jackson received from his recent legal issues. 

Of course, there is someone in this coming draft who will surprise us all in a few years. Always is.

I almost wonder if NBA guys are trying to sound like they aren't sold on Jackson. Prolly not... But I hear lots of complaints about his shot, yet he's up to 39% on the year as a 6'8" strong guy, and has been shooting it at like a 50% clip for the past month and a half or so. I definitely agree with Eddies quote that there are 3 #1 caliber guys here. I don't see why Jackson isn't as good a prospect as Simmons, other than the fact that he's 20.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

I imagine you're right that Kansas goes further, but don't you think Ball will get more credit if he beats 2 seed Kentucky and lights up Fox than Jackson would get for advancing to the final 4 as a 1 seed?  And that Jackson has Frank Mason?

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I imagine you're right that Kansas goes further, but don't you think Ball will get more credit if he beats 2 seed Kentucky and lights up Fox than Jackson would get for advancing to the final 4 as a 1 seed?

I don't think UCLA beats Kentucky, which is part of my point, and I think Fox causes him a lot of trouble in their head-to-head matchup.

And Jackson has opportunities to look really good when he's matched up against Swanigan, which he can win on both ends of the court.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Well I had to be consistent with my Lonzo Ball hate so I picked Kentucky over UCLA in my bracket but if UCLA wins behind another dominant Ball performance I probably owe KGLL A couple of TP's :laugh:. I'll admit though I'm really coming around on the kid, looks like he's the real deal.

How about Edrice "Bam" Adebayo for tournament stock raiser? You could argue KU would be watching the UCLA game on the couch had it not been for Wichita having virtually no answer for him. I seen drafts having him fall into the twenties which I personally find ludicrous.

Lauri seems like he is what he is, I don't think he gets featured enough by Arizona to raise his stock much higher.

Don't see Jackson jumping Ball. Barring a couple of legendary performances, Kansas' success will most likely continue to be tied to their upper classman and Self. Think they're on a collision course with Gonzaga so that would probably be the Jackson game to watch.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Jackson and Ball are 1/2 for me, with them so close I keep going back and forth over who is better.  Jackson has the higher floor, but I love Ball's game. 

I'm going to go with Ball having a big game against KU and ucla going on to win the tournament.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Whomever plays better.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I honestly hope neither. I think some teams put alot into the Tourney. Yes they are high pressure games but I think we put too much into the games as fans. I have stopped watching the games because I think the emotion adds to the love affair of a player.

At this point Im more interested in hearing who are the players that work hard. That's the only thing that really matters to me at this point.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
All 3 are very talented players, but Ball and Jackson both come off to me as winners.  If either player carries their team on their back to a national title, I think that might be enough to propel them to the #1 spot.  For Ball, it will basically be a given that he would have to carry his team to a title.  For Jackson, that wouldn't be so obviously the case as he has teammates capable of dominating the game.  Jackson would have to continue shooting well enough to make scouts believe that a successful outside shot can be had in the pros.

I believe a very bad game for Ball in the next two rounds would hurt his stock more than if it were to happen to Jackson as I think most people view Ball as closer to NBA-ready and less the kind of pick oozing with untapped potential.  Don't know if it would be enough to drop him a spot though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I imagine you're right that Kansas goes further, but don't you think Ball will get more credit if he beats 2 seed Kentucky and lights up Fox than Jackson would get for advancing to the final 4 as a 1 seed?

I don't think UCLA beats Kentucky, which is part of my point, and I think Fox causes him a lot of trouble in their head-to-head matchup.

And Jackson has opportunities to look really good when he's matched up against Swanigan, which he can win on both ends of the court.

Jackson looked decent against Bridges last weekend too (not fantastic, but decent).  If he can D up Swanigan well, that's going to bode very well for him being a future 4 position defender in the NBA.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur