Author Topic: Were these Refs Point Shaving tonight-? (Serious question)  (Read 3974 times)

Re: Were these Refs Point Shaving tonight-? (Serious question)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Washington flopping .

The refs seemed to be punking Marcus and Kelly .

It got kinda out of hand .

The NBA really needs better training program.  Too many bad refs .

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
They called a fair game in the first half of the game.  They didn't start becoming incompetent until the 3rd quarter.

That's the weird part.  Usually awful crews are awful the whole time (like the Rockets game), but these ones just got worse as time went on. Lends a bit of credibility (just a little, mind you) to the idea that the refs were trying to keep Washington in the game.

I think they were just that incompetent, though

This is true, it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th that things went haywire. But as someone who goes to all the games, I'm astonished how little respect the Celtics get from the refs. We get calls like an away team at home it seems like more than half the time. At least that's what jumbotron replays suggest.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Washington flopping .

It really killed my enjoyment of the potential blowout.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
They need to take a ref off the court. Too many opinions being thrown into the game as to what is a foul.

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I didn't the call against Marcus that all the sudden changed in favor for him. he was already waking upset to the bench.

Also the call against Amir touching the net after a block was strange.

they called that "hanging on the rim". They credited the basket PLUS a technical foul. That was really outrageous. And then they call nothing at the end of the game where Oubre fouled IT twice and he went to the floor and no call. Really?

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Don't want to make a another thread on it. But, does anyone know the ruling as to why there wasn't a goaltending call the other night when, I believe it was Bradley, went up for a shot and a player literally grabbed the net and hung on.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I didn't the call against Marcus that all the sudden changed in favor for him. he was already waking upset to the bench.

they called that "hanging on the rim". They credited the basket PLUS a technical foul. That was really outrageous. And then they call nothing at the end of the game where Oubre fouled IT twice and he went to the floor and no call. Really?

Strange was an understatement. Amir's left hand touched the net long after he blocked the shot with the right hand, it was obvious that it had no effect on the shot as it was already blocked and on the way down. They not only got it totally wrong after reviewing it, but somehow also tacked on a technical for hanging on the rim, when he never even touched the rim or hung on anything!

I think it's just that this crew was not well versed in the subtleties of manufacturing a comeback for the opposing team. They need more remedial NBA ref training

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
They called a fair game in the first half of the game.  They didn't start becoming incompetent until the 3rd quarter.

That's the weird part.  Usually awful crews are awful the whole time (like the Rockets game), but these ones just got worse as time went on. Lends a bit of credibility (just a little, mind you) to the idea that the refs were trying to keep Washington in the game.

I think they were just that incompetent, though

This is true, it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th that things went haywire. But as someone who goes to all the games, I'm astonished how little respect the Celtics get from the refs. We get calls like an away team at home it seems like more than half the time. At least that's what jumbotron replays suggest.

We had one Smart charging call go our way. It was so bad even Tommy said it should have been a no call. Smart does well with those 90% of the time.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 12:04:23 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I've been watching NBA basketball since I was a young kid...I've never seen worse referring in all that time.

Too many NBA Refs are absolutely and totally incompetent.

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The same type of refs who robbed the Celtics in the 2010 Finals, particularly Game 7.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Washington flopping .

It really killed my enjoyment of the potential blowout.

Me thinks that was the refs idea too......keep the game from being a Boston blowout of the Wizards ,  for me it was still a dominating game by the Celtics .  IT and company took care of business ,  even with the refs doing there dangest to keep the game tight.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Strange was an understatement. Amir's left hand touched the net long after he blocked the shot with the right hand, it was obvious that it had no effect on the shot as it was already blocked and on the way down. They not only got it totally wrong after reviewing it, but somehow also tacked on a technical for hanging on the rim, when he never even touched the rim or hung on anything!

I think it's just that this crew was not well versed in the subtleties of manufacturing a comeback for the opposing team. They need more remedial NBA ref training

Just posted this in the game thread too, but I actually think it was the correct call.

Here's the play in question: https://streamable.com/v4kpg

And here's a very similar scenario from the NBA video rulebook explaining it.
http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/goaltending-also-technical-foul-defensive-player-grabs-net-to-block-shot/

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

You would think, the Nba would want a better officiating crew on their 2nd biggest game of the night.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Just posted this in the game thread too, but I actually think it was the correct call.

Here's the play in question: https://streamable.com/v4kpg

And here's a very similar scenario from the NBA video rulebook explaining it.
http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/goaltending-also-technical-foul-defensive-player-grabs-net-to-block-shot/

I see what you are saying here but the net/rim touch was after the block. It didn't help with the block because it already occurred.  Another thing is they NEVER call basket interference when a player touches the net even when it may affect the shot. It is one of those things that are just overlooked unless it is blatant. That being said, this particular crew thought it should be a basket and a technical in order to try to keep Washington in the game. It's clear what the objective was on their part.

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yup.  Modern NBA refs are just terrible.  And it really hurts the game.  Why can't they put some money into decent training?  On the other hand, two of the things missing from the modern ref brain are 1. Common sense, and 2. Courage.  Maybe those things can't be solved but are just a product of the modern era in some way. 

As for specifics, the need to re-learn the following:

1. The no-call is a valid option when not being able to decipher who initiated contact
2. Out of control offensive players need not be bailed out.  The entire stadium knows they're out of control...you should know it too, ref.
3.  Stop being so obsessed about preventing a fight from breaking out.  Fights are not good, but it's not worth destroying the integrity of the game by ruining the flow because you might pee your pants.