Author Topic: Were these Refs Point Shaving tonight-? (Serious question)  (Read 3949 times)

Were these Refs Point Shaving tonight-? (Serious question)
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
What was the point spread-?

Some pretty shady stuff going on tonight by this crew---something seemed fishy and outright crooked. Or are they actually this incompetent at their jobs-?
They seemed intent on keeping Washington in this game--even though the Wiz didn't seem to care all that much.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Re: Were these Refs Point Shaving tonight-? (Serious question)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:04:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Taken together, the league made a record high $5.2 billion in revenue last year.  Pretty decent odds that your question is valid.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:14:16 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:00 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Taken together, the league made a record high $5.2 billion in revenue last year.  Pretty decent odds that your question is valid.

Maybe this is what Trump meant when he said he was going to drain the swamp in Washington. He was talking about the dam Wizards!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:09 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Call your mother, Nicky!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The point spread was BOS -3.5 to -4 at tipoff.  Refs didn't quite swing it back the other direction.  Over/under was between 216.5-217.5, so never got there either.

So if they were point-shaving, they failed.  (Still possible, of course, because I wouldn't expect tonight's refs to be any more competent at point-shaving than I would expect them to be competent at officiating.)

I will say I thought there were a ton of bad calls in both directions.  A lot of play-through contact, and a lot of touch fouls where players might have barely grazed each other.  I will never know why Oubre got to obviously foul IT twice on that steal at the end, not to mention get away with a kicked ball.  Good job on IT and Smart to not get ejected in the last two minutes for arguing with the refs.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I was thinking the same thing and I'm very anti conspiracy theory/looney tune kinda guy.

Although it's unlikely, nights like tonight make you wonder Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. some of these refs are on.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:50:50 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I don't think there was any point shaving. I just think the refs sucked - especially the one Nick. No clue at what he was watching. I wonder if he lives in the DC area.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The refs may have been trying to second guess each other as to how to call the fouls. In other words one ref was not calling a tight game. So, the other(s) tried to follow suit. Then, they switched back and forth not knowing what to call. My guess is they were trying to match each other rather than make the right calls. In the end they all looked terrible. 

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:22 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Not sure about point shaving, but they did an awful job. Especially couldn't understand the T  for hanging on the net. I could see basket interference, I guess as he did hit the net, but the T was weird.
My biggest problem with them is that they couldn't just make a call. I mean, do they have to go to replay for 10 minutes. Kills the momentum of the game. Make a decision and move on.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought I was watching the UNC vs. ARK refs for a second.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
They called a fair game in the first half of the game.  They didn't start becoming incompetent until the 3rd quarter.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Interesting how far the refs will go not to overturn a blown call. One of the Wizards players slapped at the ball knocking it out of Amir's(?) hand. The ball follows out of bounds. it was an obvious bad call. So, what does the ref who had a better angle at the ball do? Turns his head and runs up court.... not having any courage to do the right thing. Pretty pathetic in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
They called a fair game in the first half of the game.  They didn't start becoming incompetent until the 3rd quarter.

That's the weird part.  Usually awful crews are awful the whole time (like the Rockets game), but these ones just got worse as time went on. Lends a bit of credibility (just a little, mind you) to the idea that the refs were trying to keep Washington in the game.

I think they were just that incompetent, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
To be fair, Boston committed less fouls and shot more foul shots. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I didn't the call against Marcus that all the sudden changed in favor for him. he was already waking upset to the bench.

Also the call against Amir touching the net after a block was strange.