Author Topic: IT is kinda important as the Celts only above average shot creator, huh?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

Carmelo doesn't create the kind of shots you want.

He allows lots of shots the opponent wants.

Carmelo creates and makes the type of difficult shots that very few other players are capable of either creating or making, and he makes them consistently.

That's kind of important when you're in the playoffs competing against the leagues top teams - the type of games where easy shots are few and far between.

But having a player who is very efficient at making easy uncontested shots (e.g. Horford) is lovely to have in the regular season when half t your games are against teams who don't play defence.

Sadly Smart falls is the worst case of the two.   He's a historically bass shooter AND he takes horrible shots too.  The worst of both worlds.
That was my thinking on Anthony.  He can create a shot for himself, or others, when being guarded by some of the best players in the world.  He is a good outside shooter, can take people off the dribble, etc.  When Thomas gets smothered in the post season, Anthony would be a great safety valve.  Given the Knicks were basically trying to give him away, it is a real shame Boston didn't take a chance on him.

I wanted Melo too...but it sounds like they didn't want to upset the apple cart for this summer.

If plan A (top FA & Butler/George trade) doesn't work...perhaps Melo is plan B or C.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

Carmelo doesn't create the kind of shots you want.

He allows lots of shots the opponent wants.

Carmelo creates and makes the type of difficult shots that very few other players are capable of either creating or making, and he makes them consistently.

That's kind of important when you're in the playoffs competing against the leagues top teams - the type of games where easy shots are few and far between.

But having a player who is very efficient at making easy uncontested shots (e.g. Horford) is lovely to have in the regular season when half t your games are against teams who don't play defence.

Sadly Smart falls is the worst case of the two.   He's a historically bass shooter AND he takes horrible shots too.  The worst of both worlds.
That was my thinking on Anthony.  He can create a shot for himself, or others, when being guarded by some of the best players in the world.  He is a good outside shooter, can take people off the dribble, etc.  When Thomas gets smothered in the post season, Anthony would be a great safety valve.  Given the Knicks were basically trying to give him away, it is a real shame Boston didn't take a chance on him.

I wanted Melo too...but it sounds like they didn't want to upset the apple cart for this summer.

If plan A (top FA & Butler/George trade) doesn't work...perhaps Melo is plan B or C.
Sure, which is just silly in my mind because the East was there for the taking this year with all of the Cavs' injury issues and being so darn close to them in the standings.  When the Celtics strike out this summer, what will the response be then?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline clintonwalker

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would say critical,  not just important.

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.
... they are 25%

Precisely my point.

If i had an illness and was going for an experiential treatment that I was told had a 25% chance of my coming out alive, I'd make sure my will is in order long before I start planning my next holiday.

You can call it pessimistic. I call it realistic. One in four odds are not good odds.
"You call it pessimistic, I call it realistic" that's the mantra of ALL you negative Nancy's. It's so wrong..Positive people are too far right and negative people are to far left. The actually realistic people live in the middle. Youre a pessimist.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.
... they are 25%

Precisely my point.

If i had an illness and was going for an experiential treatment that I was told had a 25% chance of my coming out alive, I'd make sure my will is in order long before I start planning my next holiday.

You can call it pessimistic. I call it realistic. One in four odds are not good odds.
There is a difference between counting on adding Fultz and discussing it as a possibility.

25% is a completely legitimate possibility. Why not discuss it?

Your illness analogy is terrible. Im sure you can figure out by yourself how flawed it is.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

... they are 25%

Precisely my point.

"You call it pessimistic, I call it realistic" that's the mantra of ALL you negative Nancy's. It's so wrong..Positive people are too far right and negative people are to far left. The actually realistic people live in the middle. Youre a pessimist.

TP!

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Without IT

We d have TWO lottery picks this year.

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Evan Turner is a HUGE loss this year because no one else can create offense for others. Crazy as it may sound, this is why I would be very cautious in trading Rozier. He is becoming a good scorer.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
IT is very important as the only player who can get to the FT line, which every basketball team needs when they go into shooting slumps, which this team does often, especially without IT to also make jumpshots.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Without IT

We d have TWO lottery picks this year.
its a pick swap. So no we would not have 2 lottery picks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
There is a big difference in this team with and without IT.

Without him we struggle to beat Brooklyn, the worst team in the NBA, and we lost to the 76ers, one of the cellar dweller lottery-bound teams in the NBA.

With IT, we beat a strong Wizards team to maintain our #2 position in the conference.
It makes you appreciate even more how talented IT is, and how much better he makes our team.

So glad that he's back!

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our odds of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.
... they are 25%

Possibly a little better than that even. Consider what happens if LA gets the top pick? Are they going to pass on hometown hero Ball? Possibly not. I'm not sure Phoenix would take him either.
So I don't think it's out of the question that the Cs conceivably could get him anywhere from 1-3.