Author Topic: Celtics Officially Clinch Playoff Spot  (Read 1187 times)

Celtics Officially Clinch Playoff Spot
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://mobile.twitter.com/celtics/status/844373409429565441?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Fear not everyone, there will be no late season epic collapse. Cue the duckboats!  :laugh:

Now if only the Boston Bruins can actually win games late in seasons and make the playoffs for crying out loud...  :(

Anyways, there's also a GREAT chance we finally have home court the first round of the playoffs at least
(unless ATL goes like undefeated and BOS loses most of their remaining games).

Who do we want first round? My preference is Detroit or Chicago (but Chicago probably playing themselves out of the playoffs now). As long as it's not Indiana or Miami I guess.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Celtics Officially Clinch Playoff Spot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would prefer Miami, we would sweep them. I do not want the Bucks, they have the talent to catch fire for a series and surprise someone.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I would prefer Miami, we would sweep them. I do not want the Bucks, they have the talent to catch fire for a series and surprise someone.

Miami has been red hot lately though.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them battle Cleveland and make them work hard the first round.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Also wouldn't mind seeing them battle Cleveland and make them work hard the first round.

I know, I just think we match up well with them. I would love to see them play Cleveland though, that would be a great 1st round series.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Let's go Celtics!  Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!!

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Waiters is out for probably the rest of the regular season with an ankle injury.  He's been a key player in their resurgence -- Miami I believe is 8-17 without him, compared to 27-19 with him.  It could cost them the playoffs.  It could even keep him out of the beginning of the playoffs if they somehow do make it.  Too bad for them, but Miami is not a team to worry about unless he comes back quickly.

Boston officially clinched a playoff spot last night
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

The 5th team to do behind the Cavs in the East and Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets out west (the Warriors have even clinched their division).  Lakers and Suns have officially joined the Nets as eliminated as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Boston officially clinched a playoff spot last night
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
sorry missed the other thread.  delete this

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I missed this thread and just started one for the same thing.

Glad to see it is official, now just have to keep the seeding and hope for the solid matchup.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Waiters is out for probably the rest of the regular season with an ankle injury.  He's been a key player in their resurgence -- Miami I believe is 8-17 without him, compared to 27-19 with him.  It could cost them the playoffs.  It could even keep him out of the beginning of the playoffs if they somehow do make it.  Too bad for them, but Miami is not a team to worry about unless he comes back quickly.

I don't think it will keep them out of the playoffs, as both Detroit and Chicago have been playing some pretty crappy basketball lately.

But, I agree that without Waiters Miami is much less concerning.  He's proven to be a legit 2nd option on offense next to Dragic and gives them another player who can get into the lane and cause havoc for a defense.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Let's go Celts! Just focus on our game, and the rest will solve itself out.
The way I see it, to win a championship we have to better than everyone else. (simple stuff, I know)
If we lose to someone in a series, then they are better and they (99,7%) deserve to advance. We will try to kick the door down the next year.
I don't buy the whole "we can advance through team X, rather than team Y" thing. If we can't beat a certain team, we are unworthy to surpass them and then there is summer to analyze and improve our weaknesses.
Realistically, I think we are a top 4-8 team in a league. That would put us in a favorable position to be in a 2nd round (that qualifies as an improvement over last year), but anything beyond would be a massive success.
With all that said, let's win it this year. :D
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think it will keep them out of the playoffs, as both Detroit and Chicago have been playing some pretty crappy basketball lately.

But, I agree that without Waiters Miami is much less concerning.  He's proven to be a legit 2nd option on offense next to Dragic and gives them another player who can get into the lane and cause havoc for a defense.

If Miami only wins 1 in 3 games the rest of the way, as they have without Waiters to date, they could very well miss the playoffs.  The key game is next Tuesday, when Detroit and Miami play each other.  The winner holds the advantage in a tiebreaker.  If both teams go 4-6 in their other 10 games (quite possible), that game will be the decisive one.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If Miami only wins 1 in 3 games the rest of the way, as they have without Waiters to date, they could very well miss the playoffs.  The key game is next Tuesday, when Detroit and Miami play each other.  The winner holds the advantage in a tiebreaker.  If both teams go 4-6 in their other 10 games (quite possible), that game will be the decisive one.

Miami's schedule does seem a bit tougher than Detroit's down the stretch.

I'm still putting my money on them making it over Detroit, but after looking at that schedule I'm less confident.