Author Topic: Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without  (Read 11363 times)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Seems to be a ton of conflicting opinions here...imo what Ray did wasn't betrayal to the fans but the teammates; he left paul and kevin hanging when they wanted one final run. Worse of all he joined a team that was their bitter rival and did not even explain it to them when they asked by phone. I think they have good reason to hate Ray for this.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Seems to be a ton of conflicting opinions here...imo what Ray did wasn't betrayal to the fans but the teammates; he left paul and kevin hanging when they wanted one final run. Worse of all he joined a team that was their bitter rival and did not even explain it to them when they asked by phone. I think they have good reason to hate Ray for this.

But 5 years later?

So, when Ray and KG (or Paul and Ray, can't remember) go into the HOF I can see that their "speeches" will be quite awkward.

So, in 2020 (or 2021) will they STILL hate Ray Allen? Over his choice?

I thought our "enemy" was The Los Angeles Lakers. I "STILL" hurt from Magic's Hook Shot in 87'.

But this? The Heat? Sad.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Just to ME - this makes BOS look rather small - that the last contending team we've had NOW seemingly harbored ill feelings amongst its Big Three.

I understand that things happen and players don't always agree - I get that. But now this "Ill Will" culminating in a Very Public Exclusion of a future 1st Ballot HOFer from a future "Party" overseas.

This is comical, to ME. And embarrassing. UNCELTIC.

If you didn't get along, or had issues - just have the party in SECRET - without making it public on this scale.

Or - better yet - don't have it.

Why are you going to open up old wounds or throw salt in the wound by taking it to this level?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just to ME - this makes BOS look rather small - that the last contending team we've had NOW seemingly harbored ill feelings amongst its Big Three.

I understand that things happen and players don't always agree - I get that. But now this "Ill Will" culminating in a Very Public Exclusion of a future 1st Ballot HOFer from a future "Party" overseas.

If you didn't get along, or had issues - just have the party in SECRET - without making it public on this scale.

Why are you going to open up old wounds or throw salt in the wound by taking it to this level?

You do not invite traitors to your party. He can go party with The Heat.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

You do not invite traitors to your party. He can go party with The Heat.

You know, the most incredulous thing to me is that most of us are NOW celebrating Rajon Rondo as a HERO for doing THIS....

....when most of us were pillorying him during his time in DAL, SAC AND in BOS before he left.

LOL.

CelticsBlog - where Rajon Rondo is a Hero (for now).

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:59:51 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Ray Allen is a big time traitor, bu that is not the reason why he is hated by so many of his teammates   on the Celtics.

I believe the reason he is hated so much is because... The 2008 was the first celebrated Big 3 in history. They won a championship in their first season together. They had a legacy to protect. The Big 3 are a Celtic Legend. PP is a Celtic Legend, KG is a Celtic Legend, Ray Allen is a Celtic Legend. They had a legacy 2/3 of that Legend was willing to protect that legacy, 1/3 walked away ensuring that the legacy will forever be dented, not tarnished but dented. The feel good story can never be written because one walked away. The great ending with the band playing was not to be because one legend walked away.

That Danny traded him is not excuse because the Legend of the Big 3 was bigger than Danny, maybe bigger than the Celtics. If Danny had accomplished the trade, he probably becomes the villain. Ray left, so he is the villain.

To add insult to injury Ray leaves for the rival, and anyone that thinks the Heat were not on the level of rivalry with the Lakers do not understand that for these three the Heat was their Lakers. PP did not hate the Lakers, he grew up a Laker fan. The Lakers took one chip away from KG, Miami stopped him from more than one. And even if you think the Lakers were the real rival the heat were led by the very embodiment of the hated Lakers -- Pat Riley. Ray left the Celtics for the Laker, Pat Riley. You think Pat did not like sticking that to the Celtics?

More insult to injury, probably the biggest insult, Ray, the Celtic Legend, wins a championship for the Heat, for the Laker Riley. That is why this one is hard for the 2/3 to forgive.

I bet it would have been easier to let Ray back if he had fallen flat on his face in Miami. They would have let him back and even teased him a little, but how can you let him back and have him back at the party when you know he helped the enemy win what yall played for. What made you legends. You think they want him around to show off his second ring, like 'her Ray can we see your ring'?

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Ray Allen is a big time traitor, bu that is not the reason why he is hated by so many of his teammates   on the Celtics.

I believe the reason he is hated so much is because... The 2008 was the first celebrated Big 3 in history. They won a championship in their first season together. They had a legacy to protect. The Big 3 are a Celtic Legend. PP is a Celtic Legend, KG is a Celtic Legend, Ray Allen is a Celtic Legend. They had a legacy 2/3 of that Legend was willing to protect that legacy, 1/3 walked away ensuring that the legacy will forever be dented, not tarnished but dented. The feel good story can never be written because one walked away. The great ending with the band playing was not to be because one legend walked away.

That Danny traded him is not excuse because the Legend of the Big 3 was bigger than Danny, maybe bigger than the Celtics. If Danny had accomplished the trade, he probably becomes the villain. Ray left, so he is the villain.

To add insult to injury Ray leaves for the rival, and anyone that thinks the Heat were not on the level of rivalry with the Lakers do not understand that for these three the Heat was their Lakers. PP did not hate the Lakers, he grew up a Laker fan. The Lakers took one chip away from KG, Miami stopped him from more than one. And even if you think the Lakers were the real rival the heat were led by the very embodiment of the hated Lakers -- Pat Riley. Ray left the Celtics for the Laker, Pat Riley. You think Pat did not like sticking that to the Celtics?

More insult to injury, probably the biggest insult, Ray, the Celtic Legend, wins a championship for the Heat, for the Laker Riley. That is why this one is hard for the 2/3 to forgive.

I bet it would have been easier to let Ray back if he had fallen flat on his face in Miami. They would have let him back and even teased him a little, but how can you let him back and have him back at the party when you know he helped the enemy win what yall played for. What made you legends. You think they want him around to show off his second ring, like 'her Ray can we see your ring'?

Do you believe that Ray Allen - off the bench - would've helped us against MIA in 2012? I don't believe ANYONE here believes that BOS would've beaten MIA EVEN IF Ray stayed.

Short of physically tripping or injuring LeBron James - would THAT have stopped him from dropping 46 points on us in Game 6? Even with Ray?

Don't think so.

We can all wax poetic about "Ray Staying" if we want to. Go ahead and relive those cold hard years of the late 80s when this franchise lost Bias.....and our old team STAYED together.

Go ahead and relive those early 90s - including the tragedy of Reggie - and relish how our "Big Three" stayed together.

Perhaps back then Red was just too deflated to attempt a trade then. I don't blame him one bit. Add the chilling Lewis tragedy and then you're at rock bottom.

I don't blame Danny for seeing into the future and attempting to trade Ray. I did not like it, but HE lived through the 80's - as our starting SG. He saw this team deteriorate before his / our eyes. He tried to stop THIS Big Three (KG-Ray-Paul) from doing the same.

Kudos to Danny for doing JUST THAT. We got a motherload from BKN because of it.

Ray - being the most talked-about trade chip for 2-3 years - bolted before the uncertainty became reality. He chose his path. He made himself the villain instead of Danny.

While he was here he brought me a TON of pleasant memories...a TON of clutch shots. His drive past Vujacic in that HISTORIC Game 4 2008 Finals.

To call him a Traitor? Now? 5 years later? UNCELTIC. Ray Allen did not eat any babies nor kick any puppies.

For Rajon Rondo to publicly do this is vindictive. And UNCELTIC.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Ray is a traitor whether you call him that or not is your choice but he betrayed the BIG 3.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ray is a traitor whether you call him that or not is your choice but he betrayed the BIG 3.

TP for stating what is the obvious to so many.

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
...and he left to take HALF as much in salary as was offered him by the Celts.  I will cherish the memories of his many contributions to the team, but the manner in which he departed will ALWAYS leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Well, at least this CURRENT team seems to get along great - from top to bottom.

No faux camaraderie from what I / we can see, I suppose.

Go Celtics.........?

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I will never forget the memories that he was part of and I will always consider him as a very important part of Celtics' history, but nothing, nothing can change that he was a traitor. And GreenFaith1819, when you say that was just the path he chose. I agree. That is the path that he chose - a path of a  TRAITOR!

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The real crime? Forgetting to invite Scot Pollard! He's the guy I want at a party.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/3/20/14989860/scot-pollard-wasnt-invited-to-the-2008-celtics-reunion-either-ray-allen-rajon-rondo

Also, Pollard says "I'm 99% Rajon was just trying to make sure the world knew he still had a beef with Ray Allen."

http://hoopshype.com/rumor/1104657/
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008