Author Topic: Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without  (Read 11457 times)

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I feel like VH1 is filming a reality show about Rondo trying to put together this big reunion with ongoing story arcs like not being able to locate PJ Brown and not inviting Ray Allen as main plot points. If the ratings start to dip, they can always have Glen Davis announce his pregnancy.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
"Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers say Ray Allen should be a part of Celtics reunion"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-doc-rivers-say-ray-allen-should-be-a-part-of-celtics-reunion/

It really sounds like almost the whole team hates him now...

Not sure how you got that from the article. Doc suggests it's mainly KG and Rondo:
    When asked who would be most difficult to convince, Rivers offered only a hint: “I won’t say any names, but you can figure out the two. I’ve been surprised at a couple of guys and they’re still mad. Yeah, I get it, but it’s time to move on.”

Rivers is pretty obviously referring to Rondo and Garnett. In the Boston Globe story, Pierce said he’d probably have to be the mediator, joking that he should try to arrange for Allen make a surprise appearance on “Area 21,” Garnett’s TNT segment. Pierce said he has no issues with Allen and would answer the phone if he called. That would be a good start.

I read this part as Rivers saying we could guess which two guys were still most mad, but that he was surprised a couple of other guys still were. Rondo also references asking multiple players and getting no and people shaking their head no. These comments combined seem to be talking about more than Garnett, Pierce and Rondo.
“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake”

"I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

How do you read those quotes as him asking more than 2 people (i.e. a couple)?  Now maybe he did, but there is nothing in the article that says that.

I mean.. we are getting into semantics here, but it certainly seems like he was referencing talking to a few of the guys that were not already on the record having come out against speaking to Allen (Pierce, KG). Which would mean KG, Rondo, Pierce plus couple of mystery guys all feel the same way.

Also to me it is noticeable that only Leon Powe of everyone on that team involved has come out and spoke. I really think you are underselling that Allen did some jerky things to have 3-5 people (or perhaps even more) mad at him a decade later. Considering none of us were in their rooms or privy to their conversations and what they said to each other in the years they were teammates or afterwards, that you are blindly siding with Allen in all of this.
I'd bet most of the team wouldn't care if Allen was there, but don't care enough to speak up about him being there, when they know Rondo, Pierce, and Garnett don't want him there.  I mean if it doesn't really matter to you, but you know him being there is going to cause a lot of tension with some people, and that tension could potentially ruin your own good time, you'd probably rather just not have him there.  This is all about Rondo and Garnett and Pierce to a lesser extent.  That is pretty much what Rivers said, and considering he still sees Pierce every day, I'd bet he has a pretty good handle on this.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ray Allen is a low down dirty snake.  A grimmy slimmy little ****.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-doc-rivers-say-ray-allen-should-be-a-part-of-celtics-reunion/

Not sure how you got that from the article. Doc suggests it's mainly KG and Rondo:
    When asked who would be most difficult to convince, Rivers offered only a hint: “I won’t say any names, but you can figure out the two. I’ve been surprised at a couple of guys and they’re still mad. Yeah, I get it, but it’s time to move on.”

Rivers is pretty obviously referring to Rondo and Garnett. In the Boston Globe story, Pierce said he’d probably have to be the mediator, joking that he should try to arrange for Allen make a surprise appearance on “Area 21,” Garnett’s TNT segment. Pierce said he has no issues with Allen and would answer the phone if he called. That would be a good start.

I read this part as Rivers saying we could guess which two guys were still most mad, but that he was surprised a couple of other guys still were. Rondo also references asking multiple players and getting no and people shaking their head no. These comments combined seem to be talking about more than Garnett, Pierce and Rondo.

"I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

How do you read those quotes as him asking more than 2 people (i.e. a couple)?  Now maybe he did, but there is nothing in the article that says that.

I mean.. we are getting into semantics here, but it certainly seems like he was referencing talking to a few of the guys that were not already on the record having come out against speaking to Allen (Pierce, KG). Which would mean KG, Rondo, Pierce plus couple of mystery guys all feel the same way.

Also to me it is noticeable that only Leon Powe of everyone on that team involved has come out and spoke. I really think you are underselling that Allen did some jerky things to have 3-5 people (or perhaps even more) mad at him a decade later. Considering none of us were in their rooms or privy to their conversations and what they said to each other in the years they were teammates or afterwards, that you are blindly siding with Allen in all of this.

The poster you are referring to in the bolted seems to 100% of the time side against the Celtics.

I don't understand it.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

The poster you are referring to in the bolted seems to 100% of the time side against the Celtics.

I don't understand it.
Um last time I checked not a single player being discussed is actually a Celtic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This whole thing is EMBARRASSING - with a Capital "E" (Dick Vitale voice).

Can anyone here imagine Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, Dave Cowens, Hondo, etc, etc, etc - excluding a teammate?

UNCELTIC.

I certainly don't know what went on behind closed doors but was it THAT bad to get to this point?

Seriously?

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Can anyone here imagine Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, Dave Cowens, Hondo, etc, etc, etc - excluding a teammate?

UNCELTIC.

I think that the more salient question is:

"Can anyone imagine Cousy, Russell, Hondo, Cowens (and any other Cs legend that you want to invoke) bailing on his team and going to the Fakers, Sixers or Knicks?" 

In the Vitale voice: "BABY"

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

UNCELTIC.

"Can anyone imagine Cousy, Russell, Hondo, Cowens (and any other Cs legend that you want to invoke) bailing on his team and going to the Fakers, Sixers or Knicks?" 

I'll do you one better.

"Can anyone here imagine Cousy, Russell, Hondo, Cowens (and any other Cs legend you want to invoke) being held out as TRADE BAIT....actually "BEING" traded (reportedly) to MEM (deal fell through at last minute supposedly)....dealing with a talented (but certainly PETULANT) PG in Rondo...."

And WE ALL know how Rondo can be. I've debated / defended him Ad Infinitum on here.

Name me ONE "Big Three" player on ANY NBA TEAM in history that had to deal with being traded / rumored to be traded....over a 2-3 year period.

Certainly, the Trade Winds started blowing for Ray Allen around 2010, if I remember correctly. I disliked him leaving like that but you know what? He came through SO MANY times for BOSTON that after a while I could move on from him leaving.

Spare me the "NBA is a business" shenanigans. ALL parties (Danny, KG, Rondo, Paul, AND RAY could've handled it better but for it to NOW culminate to a Weekend Party at Bernies this summer (with Ray Allen being the DEAD CORPSE) is UTTERLY ridiculous and childish.

I  don't care how competitive you are....you can forget and forgive ANYTHING if you so chose to.

I'd be the first to question ANYONE's mental state if you cannot forgive.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

"Can anyone here imagine Cousy, Russell, Hondo, Cowens (and any other Cs legend you want to invoke) being held out as TRADE BAIT....actually "BEING" traded (reportedly) to MEM (deal fell through at last minute supposedly)....dealing with a talented (but certainly PETULANT) PG in Rondo...."

And WE ALL know how Rondo can be. I've debated / defended him Ad Infinitum on here.

Name me ONE "Big Three" player on ANY NBA TEAM in history that had to deal with being traded / rumored to be traded....over a 2-3 year period.

Certainly, the Trade Winds started blowing for Ray Allen around 2010, if I remember correctly. I disliked him leaving like that but you know what? He came through SO MANY times for BOSTON that after a while I could move on from him leaving.

Spare me the "NBA is a business" shenanigans. ALL parties (Danny, KG, Rondo, Paul, AND RAY could've handled it better but for it to NOW culminate to a Weekend Party at Bernies this summer (with Ray Allen being the DEAD CORPSE) is UTTERLY ridiculous and childish.

I  don't care how competitive you are....you can forget and forgive ANYTHING if you so chose to.

Is this serious? Kevin Love has been rumored to have been traded every season he has been part of the big 3 Cleveland. I am sure we will hear rumors for Klay/Dray the next few years (I guess there was a fake one already for Klay) over the next few years as the Warriors play. We also may hear them years after the fact like we did with the Memphis trade. The only reason we probably didn't hear as much back in the day was it was not as big a 24/7 news cycle with rumors flying all over on twitter and as many "sources".

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

That isn't "one better" It's a poor rationalization. And if any of those Celtics were involved in trade talks, you can bet your bottom that they wouldn't sulk and pout and abandon their teammates for the enemy. It's a business, and Benedict took it personally, and then disingenuously under the guise of a "business" decision, made it personal.

Judas petulantly, vindictively and mean spiritedly tried to get back at/hurt Ainge, Doc and Rondo in particular and the organization in general. That was his motivation. It wasn't money and it wasn't a title (that was just an incidental bonus), and it was all done with KG and PP as irrelevant, collateral damage to Judas, despite them going to bat for him against the Mayo trade.

What Ainge (in trying to trade Judas) and Doc (in benching him in favor of Bradley) did to poor little ray ray was done TO IMPROVE THE CELTICS. What Allen did was petty and narcissistic.

And if someone doesn't understand anyone else's inability to forgive a particular action (not in general, but a specific, particular action), that person should question their own ability to be empathic rather than condescendingly question another's (KG, PP, other unnamed players on the '08 squad and MANY members on this board) mental state.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

Is this serious? Kevin Love has been rumored to have been traded every season he has been part of the big 3 Cleveland. I am sure we will hear rumors for Klay/Dray the next few years (I guess there was a fake one already for Klay) over the next few years as the Warriors play. We also may hear them years after the fact like we did with the Memphis trade. The only reason we probably didn't hear as much back in the day was it was not as big a 24/7 news cycle with rumors flying all over on twitter and as many "sources".

Of course I'm serious.

KLove's potential as a First-Ballot NBA HOFer is debatable, at best....even though I love his game.

Ray Allen? Undoubtedly a 1st Ballot HOFer. One of the best shooter EVER (clutch and otherwise).

They are not in the same class, at least not yet. KLove's story is still being written.

Klay/Dray? No solid / verified rumors as of yet, so we can't compare.

The more I think about this the crazier it seems. If Rajon Rondo is trying to organize a "2008 Boston Celtics NBA Championship get-together then why in TARNATION is he concerned about 2012 (Ray Allen leaving)?

In my best Yoda impression - "A Rat I smell."

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

That isn't "one better" It's a poor rationalization. And if any of those Celtics were involved in trade talks, you can bet your bottom that they wouldn't sulk and pout and abandon their teammates for the enemy. It's a business, and Benedict took it personally, and then disingenuously under the guise of a "business" decision, made it personal.

Judas petulantly, vindictively and mean spiritedly tried to get back at/hurt Ainge, Doc and Rondo in particular and the organization in general. That was his motivation. It wasn't money and it wasn't a title (that was just an incidental bonus), and it was all done with KG and PP as irrelevant, collateral damage to Judas, despite them going to bat for him against the Mayo trade.

What Ainge (in trying to trade Judas) and Doc (in benching him in favor of Bradley) did to poor little ray ray was done TO IMPROVE THE CELTICS. What Allen did was petty and narcissistic.

And if someone doesn't understand anyone else's inability to forgive a particular action (not in general, but a specific, particular action), that person should question their own ability to be empathic rather than condescendingly question another's (KG, PP, other unnamed players on the '08 squad and MANY members on this board) mental state.

As I just posted a few minutes ago - why in TARNATION would Rajon Rondo (or anyone) try to exclude ANYONE from this party "IF" there wasn't some ignorant venom at work?

As the thread title states - 2008 NBA TITLE. Ray did not leave until 2012. And benching him for AB - while I understood it - did NOT stop LeBron James from running roughshod over our team - especially in that painful Game 6 2012 ECF.

This is a SPORT - not LIFE. You celebrate the Good times - not someone leaving for a better opportunity.

I disliked Ray Allen leaving but I understood it. Oddly enough, I felt no ill-will towards him for doing so at the time.

What I dislike NOW is this Grand-standing and exclusion of grown men and trying to ostracize. I also dislike being on a Blog that attempts to intimidate others into a singular thought pattern.

Won't work with me. Hasn't worked with me. I don't do cliques or pity parties.

As much as I love PP34, KG, Rondo, Ray and BOSTON I can (and certainly WILL) make my point clear.

And I have.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:36:14 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

As I just posted a few minutes ago - why in TARNATION would Rajon Rondo (or anyone) try to exclude ANYONE from this party "IF" there wasn't some ignorant venom at work?

As the thread title states - 2008 NBA TITLE. Ray did not leave until 2012.

This is a SPORT - not LIFE. You celebrate the Good times - not someone leaving for a better opportunity.

I disliked Ray Allen leaving but I understood it. Oddly enough, I felt no ill-will towards him for do so at the time.

What I dislike NOW is this Grand-standing and exclusion of grown men and trying to ostracize. I also dislike being on a Blog that attempts to intimidate others into a singular thought pattern.

As much as I love PP34, KG, Rondo, Ray and BOSTON I can (and certainly WILL) make my point clear.

And I have.

Not really sure what you are referencing here. The board seems to be split about 50 50 on the topic. Who is trying to intimidate anyone here

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
When you win a championship and host a party, you can decide who to invite to your party.
Until that time,  (which could be a very very long time-perhaps even another lifetime for many of you :o) let Rondo and his NBA champion teammates decide who is on the invite list.

Certainly Ray's move to Miami was his own decision. Let Rondo have his.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

UNCELTIC.

I'll do you one better.

As the thread title states - 2008 NBA TITLE. Ray did not leave until 2012.

I disliked Ray Allen leaving but I understood it. Oddly enough, I felt no ill-will towards him for do so at the time.

And I have.

Not really sure what you are referencing here. The board seems to be split about 50 50 on the topic. Who is trying to intimidate anyone here

Using words like "poor rationalization" won't cut it in a debate where I simply can't understand the aesthetics behind this "party."

It's making that 2008 NBA Championship team NOW look like the Clue Club.

It hurt SO BAD for Ray Allen to leave that we're NOW excluding him from our party.

I don't understand it.

I say this as a die-hard Celtics fan. This party stinks. I'd rather NOT have it than to exclude ANYONE.