Author Topic: Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without  (Read 11355 times)

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
https://theundefeated.com/features/rajon-rondo-boston-celtics-ray-allen/

Just like Rajon Rondo used to set up the fast break for the Boston Celtics, he is setting up a vacation with his former Celtics teammates from the 2008 NBA championship team to celebrate the nearing of the 10-year anniversary of their title. This party, however, doesn’t include an invite to ex-Celtics star guard Ray Allen.

“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake,” said Rondo to The Undefeated when asked why Allen wasn’t invited.

MUST READS
The notorious night Biggie was murdered
No Labels: Chance the Rapper and Jimmy Butler
The Undefeated 44: African Americans who shook up the world
The best books of our lives
The Grizzlies’ — and Memphis’ — grit and grind
Allen and Kevin Garnett joined forces with Celtics veteran forward Paul Pierce in the summer of 2007 to form one of the greatest star trios the NBA has ever seen. With a young budding star Rondo as their point guard, Allen, Garnett and Pierce led the Celtics to their first NBA championship in 22 years with their 17th title in 2008. The four were also the key players on a Celtics team that lost in the 2010 NBA Finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

On July 10, 2012, however, Allen shocked his Celtics teammates by agreeing to a three-year, $9.5 million contract with the rival Miami Heat. Allen turned down a two-year, $12 million offer from the Celtics with a no-trade clause after seeking a longer and more lucrative deal and not seeing eye to eye with Rondo. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and the Heat eliminated their bitter rival Celtics in the 2012 Eastern Conference finals and went on to win back-to-back NBA championships.

Allen, a retired 10-time NBA All-Star, has been estranged from Rondo, Pierce and Garnett since his departure from Boston and winning the 2013 championship with Miami.

The Celtics Ray Allen gets a hand from Rajon Rondo, right, and Kevin Garnett, left, after he hit a second quarter shot and was fouled in the process. The Boston Celtics hosted the Atlanta Hawks for game three of a first round Eastern Conference NBA Playoff Game at TD Garden.
JIM DAVIS/THE BOSTON GLOBE VIA GETTY IMAGES
“It will be a long story about that, but it is what it is,” Rondo, who plays for the Chicago Bulls, told The Undefeated. “I don’t know a good analogy to put this in. It just wasn’t the greatest separation. It wasn’t the greatest thing that could’ve happened to us as a team, a bond. We were at war with those guys [Miami]. To go with the enemy, that’s unheard-of in sports. Well, it’s not so unheard of. It’s [dang] near common now.

“The mindset we had. The guys on our team. You wouldn’t do anything like that. It makes you question that series in the Finals … Who were you for? You didn’t bleed green. People think we had a messed-up relationship. It’s not the greatest. But it’s not just me. I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

One former Celtics player from the 2008 NBA championship team said of Allen’s exclusion from the party: “I mean, Ray left. He left to the enemy.”

Pierce didn’t comment on the lack of the invitation to Allen when asked about it March 18. But in a 2016 story in The Undefeated, the Los Angeles Clippers forward described Allen’s departure to Miami as “betrayal.”

“That was a tough situation because we thought it was betrayal,” Pierce said. “That’s why the whole thing evolved like it did with us not talking to him. Ray didn’t really have the best relationship with Rondo anyway. That was nothing. [Rondo], me and Kevin, he didn’t have any talk with us [before his Miami decision].

“I tried to call him and I didn’t get any return calls before he signed with Miami. That was our rival. We were brothers. We came in together. We just wanted a heads-up or a ‘what’s on your mind?’ or something like. Then, all of a sudden, he left. That was the biggest disappointment on my end. Not even getting a callback at that moment.”

Stay undefeated with our culture newsletter

i_am@theundefeated.com
  SUBSCRIBE
Success! Your inbox thanks you 🙏🏾🎉
Efforts to reach Allen didn’t result in a comment. But if the group consensus were to invite Allen, would Rondo offer an invitation despite their differences?

“I would have went with the team, with the group,” Rondo said.

Not every member of the 2008 NBA championship team is anti-Allen. Former Celtics forward-center Leon Powe, a member of the 2008 NBA championship team, said he spoke to Rondo about the reunion recently in Boston and was in. Powe, who works in the Celtics’ scouting department, was surprised to learn Sunday that Allen wasn’t invited.

Ray Allen #34 of the Miami Heat shoots during Game Three of the 2014 NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs at the American Airlines Arena on June 10, 2014 in Miami, Florida.
ANDREW D BERNSTEIN/NBAE VIA GETTY IMAGES
“I assumed that Ray would be invited,” Powe told The Undefeated. “That is one of my guys. My preference is that Ray is extended an invitation.”

Except for Allen, Rondo said, he has personally offered an invite to the celebration to all of his ex-Celtics teammates except a hard-to-locate retired forward-center P.J. Brown. The Rondo-led celebration is a work in progress at an undisclosed international location.

“Everybody else should be there. I’ve actually talked to everyone [else],” Rondo said. “With me going out to every different city, I ran into ‘E-House’ [Eddie House] in Phoenix, I ran into ‘Scal’ [Brian Scalabrine], Leon Powe. The only person I haven’t got in touch with was P.J. Brown. I should be able to find him. I can get in touch with his wife and that is the route I’m going to take with him.

“This is going to an out-of-the-country thing at an undisclosed location. We’re going to get it together, enjoy life, reflect and check on each other. Next year will be the 10-year reunion, but I’m going to do it this summer.”

Rondo, Pierce and Memphis Grizzlies guard Tony Allen are the only players still active from the 2008 NBA championship team. Pierce has announced he is retiring after this season. Rondo, a four-time NBA All-Star, said he feels odd being considered an older player at 31 years old.

“I’m just trying to stay young and take care of my body, Rondo said. “Taking it one day at a time, one season at a time. It went too fast. We are already talking about getting together on our 10-year anniversary. I’m like, ‘Ten. It’s been 10?’ It definitely went fast. It seemed like just yesterday where we were talking about how old K.G. was at 31. Look at me now, I’m 31 in the same situation, Young guys call me, ‘The O.G.’ I’m embracing it. I’m accepting it. But I didn’t expect to hear this s— so soon.”

Rondo has fond memories of his days as the starting point guard during a very successful run for the Celtics that included NBA Finals appearances in 2008 and 2010. The 11-year NBA veteran said he misses how close those Celtics teams were.

The Celtics finally broke into the win column tonight, which allowed the starting five, from left to right: Jermaine O’Neal,Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo to have some fun on the bench during the fourth quarter. The Boston Celtics hosted the Detroit Pistons in an NBA regular season game at the TD Garden, the team’s home opener.
JIM DAVIS/THE BOSTON GLOBE VIA GETTY IMAGES
“We wanted to do it for one another,” Rondo said. “It started from start to finish. We believed in each other. Doc was a great and the right coach for us to have with that type of group. We all bought into it. We all thought we couldn’t be all we could be unless the next man was the best that he could be.

“We cheered for each other. There wasn’t no wishing bad on the next person or the guy in front of you. There was one effort. One goal. At one point in time throughout the season, everybody is going to have a chance to play a part and a role in it in this championship. And that’s what happened.”

Rondo has had an up-and-down season with the Bulls in which he has not seen eye to eye with coach Fred Hoiberg and has had an ever-changing role from reserve to benched to starter. He entered Sunday averaging 7.2 points, 6.4 assists and 4.9 rebounds this season. Rondo’s contract is only guaranteed $3 million of the $13.3 million he is due to be paid next season if he is waived by Chicago by June 30. Quietly, Rondo has also played a strong mentoring role for young Bulls guards Michael Carter-Williams, Jerian Grant and rookie Denzel Valentine.

Rondo said he is focused on finishing this season strongly for the Bulls and not what the future holds.

“I’m not really thinking about next year as far as where I will be. I’m going to stay here. I’m going to stay present. I’m not going to waste away any time. I’m a Chicago Bull. A good group of guys. I’m just trying to lead by example and play as hard as I can,” Rondo said.

Rondo said he still loves the game of basketball and would love to continue his career for many more years. Could he also see a return to the Celtics one day?

“I don’t know. You never know what can happen in this league. It’s a great organization. Great fans. They are the best I ever played for. I can’t say I’d never want to go back. But right now, I don’t know if that’s a plan for me,” Rondo said.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
That seems pretty crummy and is definitely not only in poor taste, but poor class as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If they had invited him, would he even have gone? I know Pierce has said in the past that Ray never really went to things like team dinners or charity events others arranged. Doesn't seem too odd that he wouldn't go on a trip arranged by a former teammate that he didn't get along with.
I'm bitter.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ha!

I think this shows just how "betrayed" Pierce, Garnett, and Rondo felt by Ray leaving the way he did. Clearly those guys have not let it go yet.

Can't blame them for how they feel. As a fan I've long since forgotten it, but I wasn't in that lockeroom, and I wasn't the one going into battle each and every night with those guys. 

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's a shame because Ray was an integral part of those teams.  A good argument could made that he was MVP of the '08 Finals. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Doesn't bother me in the least.  Rondo, Garnett, and Pierce don't owe Allen anything.  I really can't see why anyone cares.  Allen can plan something and invite Lebron and Wade to his celebration.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
That seems pretty crummy and is definitely not only in poor taste, but poor class as well.

I think it's best to err on the side of mending fences but that's just me. I can see not inviting him, depending on how they feel. I'm not in their heads.

But going public with all of this is just trash, no doubt about that. Keep it private.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If I had to take a guess I'd imagine Paul, Kevin, and Rajon feel the same way about Ray leaving the way he did.

Ray didn't owe the organization anything.  He didn't even really owe the fans anything.  But he sure did, at the very least, owe Paul and Kevin more.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think it's best to err on the side of mending fences but that's just me. I can see not inviting him, depending on how they feel. I'm not in their heads.

But going public with all of this is just trash, no doubt about that. Keep it private.

Yeah, that's what I think was in poor taste.  If you want to have a party, and most everyone else you'd invite doesn't want someone there, it's your party, do what you like.  But talking about it in an interview is just unnecessary.  I thought people learned this in grade school -- you don't have to invite everyone to your party, but you also don't get to go around saying "Ha ha, you're not invited!" while sticking out your tongue.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Yeah, that's what I think was in poor taste.  If you want to have a party, and most everyone else you'd invite doesn't want someone there, it's your party, do what you like.  But talking about it in an interview is just unnecessary.  I thought people learned this in grade school -- you don't have to invite everyone to your party, but you also don't get to go around saying "Ha ha, you're not invited!" while sticking out your tongue.
I am on PP's side, i think they have every right to say what they think/feel
keep the class for your brothers, not the betrayer

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

If I had to take a guess I'd imagine Paul, Kevin, and Rajon feel the same way about Ray leaving the way he did.

Ray didn't owe the organization anything.  He didn't even really owe the fans anything.  But he sure did, at the very least, owe Paul and Kevin more.

Ray leaving for the rival team felt like a betrayal for me as a fan, but I though he at least talked to Paul or KG beforehand. But apparently he was mum about it. Rondo and Ray- that was understandable, they didn't get along so he owes Rondo nothing. But to not even accept PP's calls, after all they've been through, yeah that takes the cake I guess.

Powe has no problem with Ray given that he wasn't with the team when Ray left. Its probably just PP and KG who didnt want Ray there though, since they were the ones who were in '08 and '12, although I can someone like Davis even though he wasnt with the team in '12.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:08:01 AM by RockinRyA »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo is being a ....

You didnt win if it was not for allen and vice versa

When will he learn

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Ray should be there regardless of what happened afterward. Eventually you have to move on and Ray Allen was a big reason that team was so great.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'm sure this the Revolutionary war veterans were writing Benedict Arnold to come back and celebrate the capture of Fort Ticonderoga after the war was over. No hard feelings right? We had a good run with the guy.

Glad I don't have my Ray Allen shirt anymore. He can go to the re-union party for the 2013 Heat championship. Good riddance. 
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Rondo is being a ....

You didnt win if it was not for allen and vice versa

When will he learn

This wasn't about winning, its about camaraderie. And ffs triboy, at least read sometimes. Rondo asked the opinion of others, it wasn't a sole decision.

Its easy to say for people to move on, but reality is, its hard for people to move on. I know I have falling out with other people and let me tell you, its not easy. Esp if that person wont acknowledge his fault. Sometimes over time you get over it, but its not always and the timeframe isnt always the same. Its reality, stop living in your ideal dream world.