Author Topic: Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without  (Read 11451 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Let's be clear, Boston was not a contender when Allen left, which is pretty apparent by the 41-40 record during the 2012-3 season.  Boston was cooked.  Boston disrespected Allen several times including by trading him (only for Memphis to re-neg), by benching him, and then by signing Terry.  Sure they offered him more money than Miami (though no where near what they could have offered), but when you had made 178 million in your career, sometimes money is less important than just wanting to feel loved.  Boston failed in making Allen feel loved, so he left for a place that truly wanted him and offered the maximum they could offer. 

All of this is true, and probably fair justification for why Ray felt slighted by the organization, and thus left for Miami.

But it isn't justification for the way he handled it, particularly in regards to KG, Pierce, and Doc.  Those guys seemingly always did right by Ray.  Not returning their calls/texts was clearly a diss, and most likely at the heart of why those three, in particular, still harbor ill will towards Ray.  I don't blame them in the least.

As for Rondo and Ray, and their feelings towards each other, well, I'm sure both did things to each other that led to their ill feelings towards each other.  They're probably both in the wrong on some level.  They just didn't like each other.  So, while Rondo probably doesn't have much justification for being upset over how or why Ray left, I don't blame him for not wanting Ray at a party he's putting together.  I doubt Ray would have shown up anyway, even if had he been invited.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Let's be clear, Boston was not a contender when Allen left, which is pretty apparent by the 41-40 record during the 2012-3 season.  Boston was cooked.  Boston disrespected Allen several times including by trading him (only for Memphis to re-neg), by benching him, and then by signing Terry.  Sure they offered him more money than Miami (though no where near what they could have offered), but when you had made 178 million in your career, sometimes money is less important than just wanting to feel loved.  Boston failed in making Allen feel loved, so he left for a place that truly wanted him and offered the maximum they could offer. 

All of this is true, and probably fair justification for why Ray felt slighted by the organization, and thus left for Miami.

But it isn't justification for the way he handled it, particularly in regards to KG, Pierce, and Doc.  Those guys seemingly always did right by Ray.  Not returning their calls/texts was clearly a diss, and most likely at the heart of why those three, in particular, still harbor ill will towards Ray.  I don't blame them in the least.

As for Rondo and Ray, and their feelings towards each other, well, I'm sure both did things to each other that led to their ill feelings towards each other.  They're probably both in the wrong on some level.  They just didn't like each other.  So, while Rondo probably doesn't have much justification for being upset over how or why Ray left, I don't blame him for not wanting Ray at a party he's putting together.  I doubt Ray would have shown up anyway, even if had he been invited.
Of course Allen has said that Pierce and Garnett haven't even tried to talk to him and that Garnett especially avoided him like the plague in the games they played against each other after Allen left. 

I mean here is an article that references Allen complaining he never received "recruiting" calls or texts from Pierce or Garnett (or anyone else from the Celtics).  http://archive.boston.com/sports/basketball/2012/10/29/ray-allen-exit-from-celtics-didn-bring-closure/iMglI0Cm6y6paxs4v6ewlI/story.html 

In fact that story says  "Garnett was the lone Celtic to communicate with Allen during the process, sent him a “Do what’s best for you, but know we want you to come back” text, and the two haven’t spoken since."

Hmm, how could Allen ignore texts and calls that were never sent?

Obviously known of us are there, but Allen put a lot out there that really wasn't contradicted by anyone until recently.  And the only reason we are talking about this now is because Allen's former teammates, not Allen, went public with something that should have remained a private matter.  Couple that with what we know about Rondo and Garnett, especially, and it seems pretty apparent who is in the right on this one and who is in the wrong.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:14:16 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Both Pierce and KG are on record as stating they tried multiple times to reach out to Ray during free agency and were ignored.

It's an indisputable fact.  I'm not going to search for the links, but they are there.  Do your own homework.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
It also seems like this is more than just KG, Pierce and Rondo.
Here is Rondo discussing the process

"This party, however, doesn’t include an invite to ex-Celtics star guard Ray Allen.

“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake,” said Rondo to The Undefeated when asked why Allen wasn’t invited."

In the article it seems like the only one that stood up for Ray was Leon Powe. Obviously we don't know the details but if there are like 5 guys that feel super negative towards Allen and don't want him around it becomes harder and harder to side with Ray.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Both Pierce and KG are on record as stating they tried multiple times to reach out to Ray during free agency and were ignored.

It's an indisputable fact.  I'm not going to search for the links, but they are there.  Do your own homework.
and yet we have an article which states the exact opposite that was a few months after he left.  That says Rivers is annoyed that the story is changing, not that Allen was making things up. 

I'd tend to believe Allen on this.  He would have no reason to just state these things if they weren't true (and could easily be contradicted by others), while Pierce and Garnett would have every reason to fudge how he left because they were looking bad for the way they were treating Allen (and it was years later so evidence would be gone).

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
well the same could be said about Allen. in order to make himself look good he says that everyone disrespected him ...

why would his teamplayers PP and KG in particular act like this?

btw I find the whole "the team shopped me around so i am mad and go to the biggest rival" story pathetic.  a 20y veteran should know how the league works. it s always business and not only when a player acts tough to get the best contract.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
"Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers say Ray Allen should be a part of Celtics reunion"

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-doc-rivers-say-ray-allen-should-be-a-part-of-celtics-reunion/

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-doc-rivers-say-ray-allen-should-be-a-part-of-celtics-reunion/

It really sounds like almost the whole team hates him now...

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford

Not sure how you got that from the article. Doc suggests it's mainly KG and Rondo:
    When asked who would be most difficult to convince, Rivers offered only a hint: “I won’t say any names, but you can figure out the two. I’ve been surprised at a couple of guys and they’re still mad. Yeah, I get it, but it’s time to move on.”

Rivers is pretty obviously referring to Rondo and Garnett. In the Boston Globe story, Pierce said he’d probably have to be the mediator, joking that he should try to arrange for Allen make a surprise appearance on “Area 21,” Garnett’s TNT segment. Pierce said he has no issues with Allen and would answer the phone if he called. That would be a good start.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:25:08 PM by alley oop »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
I don't think the signing of Jason Terry was disrespectful for Allen. My memory is that Terry was often the ball handler off the bench and Danny was trying to pair some of the then-best 3pt shooters of the time.

Terry was also a game closer, but they weren't both gonna close on the same team.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:20:18 PM by alley oop »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Ray Allen was a ring-chaser and a turncoat, good riddance

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Not sure how you got that from the article. Doc suggests it's mainly KG and Rondo:
    When asked who would be most difficult to convince, Rivers offered only a hint: “I won’t say any names, but you can figure out the two. I’ve been surprised at a couple of guys and they’re still mad. Yeah, I get it, but it’s time to move on.”

Rivers is pretty obviously referring to Rondo and Garnett. In the Boston Globe story, Pierce said he’d probably have to be the mediator, joking that he should try to arrange for Allen make a surprise appearance on “Area 21,” Garnett’s TNT segment. Pierce said he has no issues with Allen and would answer the phone if he called. That would be a good start.

I read this part as Rivers saying we could guess which two guys were still most mad, but that he was surprised a couple of other guys still were. Rondo also references asking multiple players and getting no and people shaking their head no. These comments combined seem to be talking about more than Garnett, Pierce and Rondo.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
well the same could be said about Allen. in order to make himself look good he says that everyone disrespected him ...

why would his teamplayers PP and KG in particular act like this?

btw I find the whole "the team shopped me around so i am mad and go to the biggest rival" story pathetic.  a 20y veteran should know how the league works. it s always business and not only when a player acts tough to get the best contract.
He didn't say any of the players disrespected him only that he only received one text (the one from KG I quoted above).  That is no where near the same thing as saying we tried to contact him multiple times but he never got back to us.  I just find it very hard to believe that Allen, a couple of months after leaving, is going on the record saying he only received one text from Garnett and that no one else reached out to him, is lying when he does it.  Especially when there is no reason for Allen to even bring it up in that context (especially if he is going to lie about it).  Then years later that all of a sudden all these guys supposedly reached out to him and Allen ignored their messages.  I mean which one is more plausible here.  The guy saying no one contacted him a couple of months later (who had no reason to even bring that up), or the guys years after the fact, after getting some bad press, decide to say nope Allen was lying the years prior because we reached out to him multiple times. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I read this part as Rivers saying we could guess which two guys were still most mad, but that he was surprised a couple of other guys still were. Rondo also references asking multiple players and getting no and people shaking their head no. These comments combined seem to be talking about more than Garnett, Pierce and Rondo.
“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake”

"I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

How do you read those quotes as him asking more than 2 people (i.e. a couple)?  Now maybe he did, but there is nothing in the article that says that.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake”

"I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

How do you read those quotes as him asking more than 2 people (i.e. a couple)?  Now maybe he did, but there is nothing in the article that says that.

I mean.. we are getting into semantics here, but it certainly seems like he was referencing talking to a few of the guys that were not already on the record having come out against speaking to Allen (Pierce, KG). Which would mean KG, Rondo, Pierce plus couple of mystery guys all feel the same way.

Also to me it is noticeable that only Leon Powe of everyone on that team involved has come out and spoke. I really think you are underselling that Allen did some jerky things to have 3-5 people (or perhaps even more) mad at him a decade later. Considering none of us were in their rooms or privy to their conversations and what they said to each other in the years they were teammates or afterwards, that you are blindly siding with Allen in all of this.