Author Topic: Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without  (Read 11370 times)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think all the debate about the appropriateness Ray's departure is skimming over the key point: Ray's ex-teammates by and large do not seem to like him personally. The way he left is likely a big part of that, but there's 0 chance it started there or is limited to that. That simply sealed the rift in their minds, it seems.

They're not excluding him because of a logical, consistent framework of "it's ok to leave in X way but not Y way", they're excluding him because they dislike him and don't want him around. They have the right to do that, though we certainly have the right to call that petty too.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Let's be clear, Boston was not a contender when Allen left, which is pretty apparent by the 41-40 record during the 2012-3 season.  Boston was cooked.  Boston disrespected Allen several times including by trading him (only for Memphis to re-neg), by benching him, and then by signing Terry.  Sure they offered him more money than Miami (though no where near what they could have offered), but when you had made 178 million in your career, sometimes money is less important than just wanting to feel loved.  Boston failed in making Allen feel loved, so he left for a place that truly wanted him and offered the maximum they could offer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Let's be clear, Boston was not a contender when Allen left, which is pretty apparent by the 41-40 record during the 2012-3 season.  Boston was cooked.  Boston disrespected Allen several times including by trading him (only for Memphis to re-neg), by benching him, and then by signing Terry.  Sure they offered him more money than Miami (though no where near what they could have offered), but when you had made 178 million in your career, sometimes money is less important than just wanting to feel loved.  Boston failed in making Allen feel loved, so he left for a place that truly wanted him and offered the maximum they could offer.

So what is your explanation for all of this? If this was just business as usual and a player making a business move do you really think 3 guys with very different personalities would all still hold a grudge 10 years later? That is the part I don't understand of acting like all 3 of these guys are being jerks rather than acknowledging that Allen must have handled this in a pretty terrible way to get 3 guys p---ed off for a decade. Nobody knows what really happened behind closed doors, what happened on team planes, the bus at practices etc. It certainly sounds messed up that Allen couldn't even be bothered to let Pierce know what his decision making process was before leaving. That is a new piece of news in this story and there are probably a lot of other pieces of news we still don't have. It is a lot easier for me to believe that Allen was/is a jerk rather than Garnett/Pierce/Rondo (plus the other guys not publicly standing up for him) are all jerks.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So what is your explanation for all of this? If this was just business as usual and a player making a business move do you really think 3 guys with very different personalities would all still hold a grudge 10 years later? That is the part I don't understand of acting like all 3 of these guys are being jerks rather than acknowledging that Allen must have handled this in a pretty terrible way to get 3 guys p---ed off for a decade. Nobody knows what really happened behind closed doors, what happened on team planes, the bus at practices etc. It certainly sounds messed up that Allen couldn't even be bothered to let Pierce know what his decision making process was before leaving. That is a new piece of news in this story and there are probably a lot of other pieces of news we still don't have. It is a lot easier for me to believe that Allen was/is a jerk rather than Garnett/Pierce/Rondo (plus the other guys not publicly standing up for him) are all jerks.
Of course we don't know what went on, but the only reason this is news is because Rondo made it news.  He took what should have been a private matter and blasted it to the world.  That is not only in poor taste but poor class as well.  And seriously unless Allen was sleeping with their wife or spreading all kinds of rumors, 10 years have gone by.  You'd think that guys in the profession of basketball would understand that it isn't always personal and could you know just grow up a little.  Of course when Rondo and Garnett are involved (you know two of the most petty disrespectful people in the industry), I'd really expect nothing less. 

I mean who can forget this classic example of Garnett's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.baggery as described by Paul Pierce.

“I remember one day after a game — we usually have food laid out for the players after the game. And the game is over, the players have burned so many calories, we’re hungry. And so, it’s time to eat once the game is over. We shower then we have like a buffet.  So, I remember we jumped out of the shower. Guys got dressed, and it was time to eat. And there were like some people who weren’t on the team in there — like, some doctors who we hardly ever see. We see them making a plate with the players’ food, and I just remember going over there. Kevin Garnett was over there, and he kinda knocked the plate out of his hand and said, ‘This is the players’ food!'”

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Of course we don't know what went on, but the only reason this is news is because Rondo made it news.  He took what should have been a private matter and blasted it to the world.  That is not only in poor taste but poor class as well.  And seriously unless Allen was sleeping with their wife or spreading all kinds of rumors, 10 years have gone by.  You'd think that guys in the profession of basketball would understand that it isn't always personal and could you know just grow up a little.  Of course when Rondo and Garnett are involved (you know two of the most petty disrespectful people in the industry), I'd really expect nothing less. 

I mean who can forget this classic example of Garnett's ****baggery as described by Paul Pierce.

“I remember one day after a game — we usually have food laid out for the players after the game. And the game is over, the players have burned so many calories, we’re hungry. And so, it’s time to eat once the game is over. We shower then we have like a buffet.  So, I remember we jumped out of the shower. Guys got dressed, and it was time to eat. And there were like some people who weren’t on the team in there — like, some doctors who we hardly ever see. We see them making a plate with the players’ food, and I just remember going over there. Kevin Garnett was over there, and he kinda knocked the plate out of his hand and said, ‘This is the players’ food!'”

You kind of hate KG as a person eh?

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Several people have said that we don't know what really happened.  I don't think there is anything beneath the surface. I have not seen one story of Ray disrespecting teammates personally or professionally.  I have not heard anything about him behaving inappropriately or unprofessionally.  And those who have followed Ray know him as a model player and teammate.  I think they are mad he went to Miami.  Perhaps there is something else, but has anyone seen any evidence of this?

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so Scott Pollard was missed as well...to be fair, I completely forgot he was on the team lol

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

1. Wrong. We were 39-27 in 2011-12 when he left (roughly 48-34 for 82 games) and just took Miami to the ECF and should have won.

2. Wrong again. Loved? He was being outplayed by AB and was battling injuries. That's what happens when you're old Ray. You go to bench while the up and coming player takes your minutes and you contribute with your experience rather than athleticism.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Ray did them dirty huh?

Celtics did not do him dirty?

You already know, I don't even have to explain all the things that Celtics were doing to Ray Allen through those last years.

Paul can feel hurt because Ray didn't call back , that is fine, but also miniscule.

Ray was the least coveted Celtic, least respected, then these guys act like he should come back lol, yea ok especially when the team stunk and was on its last leg

Not to mention them getting Terry

Ray did everything right but answer Paul's calls

Doc Rivers said Ray stopped returning his calls; when exactly we don’t know.  We know he called Terry right after free agency began. If Doc called Terry because Ray had stopped returning his calls, he did what was necessary. OTOH, if the news of Terry coming to the Celtics came first, Ray, having already lost his starting role, had reason to feel disrespected.  It would be nice to know which event took place first.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:08:31 AM by alley oop »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I mean who can forget this classic example of Garnett's ****baggery as described by Paul Pierce.

But make sure you don't say anything bad about Lebron or you will get hunted down.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think KG's public persona is that of a giant prick.  Kind of like Draymond Green today.  Absolutely love to have him on your team, but hate him when he is not.  Played dirty, trash talked dirty, etc.  Just not a likeable guy. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But make sure you don't say anything bad about Lebron or you will get hunted down.
Lebron has done quite a few egotistical things, probably no more than your normal best player in the world type stuff, but he is genuinely well liked around the league, even by his main rivals.  He is never voted to the most dirty lists.  You never see him go below the belt in his trash talking.  You never see him just be a bully for the sake of being a bully.  That is stuff Garnett was known for.  There are countless examples of Garnett crossing the line with his trash talk (the Charlie V stuff is the most notable, but there are countless other examples).  There are countless examples of Garnett calling out and picking on rookies or lesser players, just because.  There are countless examples of dirty play after dirty play from Garnett.  If we can't recognize what an **** Garnett was as a player, then we are nothing more than hypocrites when we call someone like Draymond Green out for basically the same behavior. 

Frankly, that type of player can really help a team because they take the brunt of everything and let everyone else do their thing.  Those players give it their all every second they are in the game and cheer like mad when they aren't.  They are by and large great teammates, but are most definitely a villain to everyone else.  That was Garnett.  That is why he was so loved here because we all saw how passionately he played, but we shouldn't just pretend he wasn't a prick either.

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
P.J. Brown is in the witness protection program.

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't think the signing of Jason Terry was disrespectful for Allen. My memory is that Terry was often the ball handler off the bench and Danny was trying to pair some of the then-best 3pt shooters of the time.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Paul said it best. It's not only about Miami decision, but that he didn't even contacted or called or even answered the calls before about his decision. As Paul said, they were great group of guys, bonded with green. It just wasn't the right way to do it. He just erased them, like a text message or a tweet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:52:27 AM by iadera »