Author Topic: Can Stevens win a big game??  (Read 3508 times)

Can Stevens win a big game??
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Hey, don't kill the messenger, I'm asking for a friend. LOL

My "friend" says that the Celtics seems to beat the mediocre teams but really struggle against the better teams and when games that are big in terms of standings, situation and maintaining momentum his teams tend to come up short. The consistent inconsistency seems to be a problem.

Re: Can Stevens win a big game??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We beat Cleveland and Golden State.
Next.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Hey, don't kill the messenger, I'm asking for a friend. LOL

My "friend" says that the Celtics seems to beat the mediocre teams but really struggle against the better teams and when games that are big in terms of standings, situation and maintaining momentum his teams tend to come up short. The consistent inconsistency seems to be a problem.

The players win and lose games but in regard to the topic don't you mean can they win the games we are "supposed" to win.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
we got a win vs GS and Cavaliers...so to answer your friend, yes

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Yes, games you're suppose to win and win when it matters most. No one said he doesn't have good wins  because he has beaten GS and Cavs but it voids those wins when you lose home games you should win and road games when you lose big leads.

The Celtics should be the #1 seed by now. The Cavs have dared us to take it and we haven't. I hope we can step up tonight but it's coming off a back to back after a tough game yesterday, so we shall see.

One thing I'm tired of seeing is us build a lead and as soon as KO and Jerebko enter the game together, the lead dwindles...watch what I tell you. I never like those two playing together...teams just have a layup and volleyball drill in the paint. I'd like to see Green more often against athletic, up and down teams.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Isn't this really more a question about the post-season?  The regular season is pretty meaningless on the whole, but the post season, when everyone tries every game, when the talent is better, etc. is where the greats make their living.  Stevens has to show something this post season or he might start being known as a bridge coach i.e. a guy that can build a team, but not get that team over the hump. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yes, games you're suppose to win and win when it matters most. No one said he doesn't have good wins  because he has beaten GS and Cavs but it voids those wins when you lose home games you should win and road games when you lose big leads.

The Celtics should be the #1 seed by now. The Cavs have dared us to take it and we haven't. I hope we can step up tonight but it's coming off a back to back after a tough game yesterday, so we shall see.

One thing I'm tired of seeing is us build a lead and as soon as KO and Jerebko enter the game together, the lead dwindles...watch what I tell you. I never like those two playing together...teams just have a layup and volleyball drill in the paint. I'd like to see Green more often against athletic, up and down teams.

If you think that losses automatically void big wins, then I have to ask whether any team can win big games.  Sure, Cleveland beat the Warriors once, but they also lost all 3 games against the Bulls and lost to the 18-30 Mavs and 18-27 Pelicans at the end of January, so their big wins don't count.  And the Warriors? Sure, they beat the Cavs and Houston once, but they also lost (at full strength) by 20 to the Lakers lost to the 25-30 Nuggets by 22 points, so their big wins don't count either.  Even the Spurs get their great wins against Cleveland and the Warriors nullified by losses to Orlando and the 17-30 Mavs at home. Even last year's Warriors dropped a home game to the 26-52 Timberwolves at home despite having a 12 point lead with less than a minute and a half left in the 3rd quarter.

So, sure, by the criteria of big wins being wiped out by losing games you should win, Brad has never won a big game.  But neither have Pop, Kerr, and Lue.  I would take a look at those criteria and figure out if every coach in the NBA is bad or if your criteria are just unreasonable, because every team loses games, including ones they should win
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Isn't this really more a question about the post-season?  The regular season is pretty meaningless on the whole, but the post season, when everyone tries every game, when the talent is better, etc. is where the greats make their living.  Stevens has to show something this post season or he might start being known as a bridge coach i.e. a guy that can build a team, but not get that team over the hump.

Nonsense.  Let's look at the Celtics roster last year.  They won two key games in the playoffs vs. Atlanta (games 3 and 4).  That roster had 3 players who are not currently in the NBA, due to inneffectiveness (Sullinger, Holland, and Hunter).  It had two other players who will likely suffer the same fate next year (Young and Mickey).  Essentially that team had 10 NBA players on it, and two of them missed almost the entire series (Bradley and Olynyk).  So they were down to 8 NBA-level players (and I am calling both rookie Terry Rozier and Tyler Zeller NBA players for this exercise, which some might debate).  They were going up against a team with two 2016 All-Stars and four 2015 All-Stars.  The Celtics won those two games because of Stevens' adjustments in games 3 and 4.  Now, when the Hawks countered the Celtics strategy in game 5, Stevens was out of NBA caliber players to make further adjustments with.  But games 3 and 4 were critical playoff games, and they were won as much due to Stevens as anything.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Hey don't get me wrong. Stevens hasn't had a superstar, has dealt with multiple trades during the year, injuries to key players, etc. So I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I just want to see us run off some wins and play with some consistency down the stretch...starting tonight. Like IT said after the Suns game...why are we experimenting with lineups and rotations at this point. Find the top eight guys and go with them.

I want to see what Stevens can do with a few stars verses always coaching guys that have to play [dang] near perfect or play above themselves to win consistently. Getting a KD, Butler or PG13 would've really helped. He's always fighting with 3 bullets and the other good teams seem to always keep 6 in the chamber.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well ,  he does great with the lot he has been given .

Could you imagine giving CBS Townes and LeBron type players .

He has  scoring midget in IT ....

Needs another tear the court up scorer ....... Butler, Fultz , Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hey don't get me wrong. Stevens hasn't had a superstar, has dealt with multiple trades during the year, injuries to key players, etc. So I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I just want to see us run off some wins and play with some consistency down the stretch...starting tonight. Like IT said after the Suns game...why are we experimenting with lineups and rotations at this point. Find the top eight guys and go with them.

I want to see what Stevens can do with a few stars verses always coaching guys that have to play [dang] near perfect or play above themselves to win consistently. Getting a KD, Butler or PG13 would've really helped. He's always fighting with 3 bullets and the other good teams seem to always keep 6 in the chamber.

That game we had 2 frontcourt guys injured plus had some foul trouble. IT was frustrated hence the comments.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Nonsense.  Let's look at the Celtics roster last year.  They won two key games in the playoffs vs. Atlanta (games 3 and 4).  That roster had 3 players who are not currently in the NBA, due to inneffectiveness (Sullinger, Holland, and Hunter).  It had two other players who will likely suffer the same fate next year (Young and Mickey).  Essentially that team had 10 NBA players on it, and two of them missed almost the entire series (Bradley and Olynyk).  So they were down to 8 NBA-level players (and I am calling both rookie Terry Rozier and Tyler Zeller NBA players for this exercise, which some might debate).  They were going up against a team with two 2016 All-Stars and four 2015 All-Stars.  The Celtics won those two games because of Stevens' adjustments in games 3 and 4.  Now, when the Hawks countered the Celtics strategy in game 5, Stevens was out of NBA caliber players to make further adjustments with.  But games 3 and 4 were critical playoff games, and they were won as much due to Stevens as anything.
Atlanta was a bad matchup for Boston last year, no doubt, and there is no shame in getting swept by Cleveland the year before, but at some point, Stevens has to start winning playoff series.  He is after all 2-8 in the playoffs.  If Boston, loses in the first round again this year, I think you will start to see some legitimate concerns about not just the team, but Stevens ability to win in the post season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's worth noting that he took a mid-major to the NCAA finals. Twice in consecutive years.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
We will find out tonight if Stevens can win a big game  ;)
ok fine

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
In the 2011 tourney
Butler over Old dom
Butler over Pitt (1 pt thriller)
Butler over Wisconsin
Butler over Florida
Huskies over Butler for title (53-41)Kemba Walker just went postal that year.

In the 2010 tourney
Butler over UTEP
Butler over Murray State
Butler over Syracuse
Butler over K State
Duke over Butler (61-59) for title...Never heard of "Duke" I can't imagine they get good recruits down there.

If you're waiting for Stevens to win some big NBA games? You gonna have to wait for his boss to sign some big NBA players.