Author Topic: Wizards (42-27) at Celtics (44-26) Game #71 3/20/17  (Read 26877 times)

Re: Wizards (42-27) at Celtics (44-26) Game #71 3/20/17
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Why didn't Marcus get credited with a steal in last night's game? He clearly ripped the ball out of the offensive players hands. If that is not a steal I don't know what is.  :o

Apparently it was credited as a block.  I'm not sure why, though, it was clearly a steal

Just confirmed on the nba.com box score, with 1:32 left in the game Smart blocked Bogdanovich and got the rebound.  Weird choice by the official scorer.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Why didn't Marcus get credited with a steal in last night's game? He clearly ripped the ball out of the offensive players hands. If that is not a steal I don't know what is.  :o

Well , what ever the offical s call it I don't care.   

It was MY highlight favorite play of the game .    It reminded me of a cornerback robbing a wide receiver on a 50 yard TD pass . 

That play tore the soul out of that guy driving to the rim.    That dude had bad dreams all last night ....LOL  ;D

« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I've been on CB for three years. In that time, I've seen some ugly wins and some uglier losses. But I don't think I've ever blamed a loss on the refs and almost never comment on the officiating.

I only watched the fourth quarter last night, but that was some of the most p----poor, amateurish, little league refereeing that I've ever seen and, if the Celtics had somehow managed to lose, I would have been the first person with a post commenting on a need for an investigation.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Mike

« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Well , what ever the offical s call it I don't care.   

It was MY highlight favorite play of the game .    It reminded me of a cornerback robbing a wide receiver on a 50 yard TD pass . 

That play tore the soul out of that guy driving to the rim.    That dude had bad dreams all last night ....LOL  ;D

Mawcus does that all the time haha. I love it. His strength makes it so whenever he gets a hand on a ball, the other guy has basically no chance of holding onto the ball.
#JKJB

« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I've been on CB for three years. In that time, I've seen some ugly wins and some uglier losses. But I don't think I've ever blamed a loss on the refs and almost never comment on the officiating.

I only watched the fourth quarter last night, but that was some of the most p----poor, amateurish, little league refereeing that I've ever seen and, if the Celtics had somehow managed to lose, I would have been the first person with a post commenting on a need for an investigation.

Mike

That officiating last night was head scratching. That "goaltending" call on Amir's blocked shot was awful. They reviewed it and not only still got it wrong, but somehow manufactured a hanging in the rim call to go along with it, when he never even touched the rim, never mind hang on it. I was dumbfounded.

« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I was thinking the same thing as I'm playing him in my fantasy playoffs.  They MUST have given him a block (because he had one), and perhaps a rebound???  Horrible ruling though.

« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Mike

That officiating last night was head scratching. That "goaltending" call on Amir's blocked shot was awful. They reviewed it and not only still got it wrong, but somehow manufactured a hanging in the rim call to go along with it, when he never even touched the rim, never mind hang on it. I was dumbfounded.
Did someone tug on the net while the ball was in the cylinder?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
What an amazing game for a while in the beginning it looked like were headed for another long night with Beal hitting everything he put up but the Cs clamped and we're great on the offensive end. We need Horford to continue to play that way if we want to advance at all and actually win a playoff series. If we play the way we did last night that team can make the ECF and anything can happen.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Mike

I personally think the call was correct.

Here's the play in question: https://streamable.com/v4kpg

And here's a very similar scenario from the NBA video rulebook explaining it.
http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/goaltending-also-technical-foul-defensive-player-grabs-net-to-block-shot/

For whatever reason I've actually been aware of this rule for a while, and it's something that is rarely called.  Over the last several years I've seen many instances of players "grabbing" the net the same way Amir did during a shot attempt, and then I say "that's a technical" at which point whoever I'm watching the game with usually looks at me and has no clue of what I'm talking about as they didn't see anything technical worthy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Mike

I personally think the call was correct.

Here's the play in question: https://streamable.com/v4kpg

And here's a very similar scenario from the NBA video rulebook explaining it.
http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/goaltending-also-technical-foul-defensive-player-grabs-net-to-block-shot/

For whatever reason I've actually been aware of this rule for a while, and it's something that is rarely called.  Over the last several years I've seen many instances of players "grabbing" the net the same way Amir did during a shot attempt, and then I say "that's a technical" at which point whoever I'm watching the game with usually looks at me and has no clue of what I'm talking about as they didn't see anything technical worthy.

Your video explanation is not the same as what happened. The net/rim touch (not hang or pull) happened clearly after the block occurred and it in NO WAY helped in getting the block so that argument is invalid. Also, the refs generally NEVER call it when players touch the net accidentally or on purpose unless blatant and in that case it would be basket interference or goaltending and the basket should count. The ruling last night was wrong and it was evident it was to keep the Bullets I mean Wizards in the game.