Author Topic: The Celtics are 30-10 in Games Where Marcus Smart...  (Read 2810 times)

Re: The Celtics are 30-10 in Games Where Marcus Smart...
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 12:37:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
...attempts 10 or less field goals. Conversely the C's are 18-16 when he attempts 10 or more.

I could break down the Celtics record on probably 100 different data points with cutoffs like this and get this same results.

This is a meaningless conclusion.
The Celtics have a better record when Avery Bradley doesnt play.

pretty big sample size on that one too.

Should we bench Avery Bradley?

absolutely not.

Yeah, these stats are meaningless with deeper analysis into each game.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:44 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
...attempts 10 or less field goals. Conversely the C's are 18-16 when he attempts 10 or more.

I could break down the Celtics record on probably 100 different data points with cutoffs like this and get this same results.

This is a meaningless conclusion.
The Celtics have a better record when Avery Bradley doesnt play.

pretty big sample size on that one too.

Should we bench Avery Bradley?

absolutely not.

Yeah, these stats are meaningless with deeper analysis into each game.

Plus when he takes that many shots it may directly correlate when we are missing other key players like IT or Bradley which means we aren't as potent of a team and it may be because our usual offensive weapons are missing and may not directly correlate with his shot numbers.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think the more relevant stat is:

The Celtics are 22-7 in games in which all 5 of IT+AB+JC+AH+AJ have started.

When our starting 5 are healthy, that puts MS in his proper role of first bench PG, typically with at least 1 or 2 shooters from the starting lineup and guys who can shoot like Kelly, Jonas & Jaylen around him.  And facing bench units.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

When our starting 5 are healthy, that puts MS in his proper role of first bench PG, typically with at least 1 or 2 shooters from the starting lineup and guys who can shoot like Kelly, Jonas & Jaylen around him.  And facing bench units.

I am thinking of this as well. You have to consider what factors into Smart taking 10+ shots a game. I love Smart and certainly a little bit bias but you have to think when he is shooting that high, the chances one of AB or IT is out that game or for a long period of time. Though I still like the idea of him being a "power guard" lol. I do see his 3 improving, not by much but somewhat noticeable, I am also seeing him drive more than last year and doing more floaters, but loving how Stevens is using him for post more. But I absolutely agree, with our starting 5 healthy and Smart off the bench, it does lower his shot and explains the extra shots he's taken when people are out with an injury. Surely I am wishing and hoping he makes a big offensive leap next year. I think a 20/5/5 Smart is definitely an all-star, if you consider his defense intensity as well. But I am content as is, as he is a major part of our team, and if it isn't a package deal for a superstar, I wouldn't even consider trading him

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
AB is the best starter. And should be. He was awesome against the Wizards and has his feet back on the ground. Smart will probably always be a 6 man for Celtics if we get a top 2 pick he will be stuck there. Fultz is way more talented.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I am thinking of this as well. You have to consider what factors into Smart taking 10+ shots a game. I love Smart and certainly a little bit bias but you have to think when he is shooting that high, the chances one of AB or IT is out that game or for a long period of time. Though I still like the idea of him being a "power guard" lol. I do see his 3 improving, not by much but somewhat noticeable, I am also seeing him drive more than last year and doing more floaters, but loving how Stevens is using him for post more. But I absolutely agree, with our starting 5 healthy and Smart off the bench, it does lower his shot and explains the extra shots he's taken when people are out with an injury. Surely I am wishing and hoping he makes a big offensive leap next year. I think a 20/5/5 Smart is definitely an all-star, if you consider his defense intensity as well. But I am content as is, as he is a major part of our team, and if it isn't a package deal for a superstar, I wouldn't even consider trading him

His 3PT shot is improving.  Not yet by results.  But it is by form.  His form as of last summer has been changed from the horrid clam-shell that he used to exhibit.   That bad form was never, ever going to become a consistent, reliable 3PT shot.  As of last summer, he has a much more upright stance, keeping his spine vertical and using his legs to get the power into the shot.   It will take a year or two before that feels 'natural' to him, but this is a much, much better shooting form than the crap he was allowed to use before.  His coaches at Oklahoma should be ashamed for not fixing this.  Improved results will also take a couple of years to show up.  But they should, eventually.   This form should result in a much more consistent shot since his upper body will no longer be moving haphazardly back and forth like it was before.

I don't think Smart will ever become a great 3PT shooter.  He's not going to be posting a 3PT% near 40% any time soon.  But he should be able to become at least a reliably efficient one.  He should settle somewhere in the 33-36% range.  And that should be just fine.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.