Author Topic: no big deal a so what loss  (Read 1442 times)

no big deal a so what loss
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
brooklyn was all that counted and they lost today-as long as celts stay healthy for playoffs

Re: no big deal a so what loss
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
that's certainly one way to look at it.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
brooklyn was all that counted and they lost today-as long as celts stay healthy for playoffs

Really? We are now one loss ahead of the Wizards who we play tomorrow night so today's game wasn't important? Wouldn't it be better to play the team right behind us with a 2-game lead rather than a 1-game lead since they already own the tie-breaker? Not sure I understand your logic. Isn't a 2 seed much better than a 3 seed? Who does the 3 seed face in the 2nd round?

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Comments along the lines of "this was only one game" or "this loss is no big deal" tend to bring out the cynic in me, especially when we've already had a bunch of them over the course of the season and we're getting close to the playoffs, where "only one game" can be a team's death knell.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:16:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
all signs point to this team not having any success in the playoffs, at best this team gets to the 2nd rnd. and wins maybe a game.

of course if i'm wrong and they get to a game within beating Cleveland in the eastern conf. finals boy are they really going to be 2nd guessing not upgrading at the trade deadline.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:48:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
all signs point to this team not having any success in the playoffs, at best this team gets to the 2nd rnd. and wins maybe a game.

of course if i'm wrong and they get to a game within beating Cleveland in the eastern conf. finals boy are they really going to be 2nd guessing not upgrading at the trade deadline.
what signs are those?

we have the second best record in the East.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:44 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

what signs are those?

we have the second best record in the East.

Very obvious signs. Our offensive versatility is very tight and sterile without Thomas. So, if that means we rely too much on him, it is obvious that he has no right to have a bad night in any playoff game. Not to mention that he must stay healthy.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:02 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Yes big deal. Celtics can't beat scrub teams like the 76ers without IT4.
Celtics squeezed by Brooklyn without IT4.

Celtics need more playmakers. Once playoffs hit, and teams start shutting down IT4 the C's are doomed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 03:47:38 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
While I don't believe that it is a time to panic, blowing a 13 point lead worries me as much as the game itself. Playoff teams need to find the ways to win. We still don't know if this team or coach can stand the heat when the pressure is on. Despite the last two seasons poor playoff results, this season the team is better and hopefully healthy.

The Celtics rely heavily on IT but also rely heavily on the team dynamic as there is not other 'star' who can turn a game. IT, AB, JC and Horford are very consistent. It will be how KO, JB, Smart, JJ, and to a lesser extent Green and Rozier, contribute that could decide close playoff games. Amir needs to be on song too.

I don't say this single game showed it but it is vital that the team is able to find ways to turn things around quickly when the opposition goes on a run. Tough it out when you don't get the bounce. It is as much about attitude and effort as talent.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
it seems like most of top teams are losing  more regularly as season runs down-it seems there is a theme of losing to inferior teams that may be motivated to make playoffs or not face the cavs
-then there are the young and fringe players hustling for the next season on poor teams
beating brooklyn was essential  for draft pick as they had been playing well and lakers are in full tank
but philly just don't get hurt

as fans we may be caught up in race but then all thats talked about after season is its no big deal unless you win the title or at best progress to eastern finals
 we beat the warriors,we beat the cavs two important wins both on their courts those were big wins for the playoffs for us
tonight is a big deal coming off our last loss to wizards and protecting home court

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I guess a bigger picture is that if the C's are a 2 or a 3 seed does it really matter?  Or a 1 seed ?  To me, the biggest issue is that the C's basically suck without IT having a big game.  Why do I say "suck"?  They have a losing record against good teams and can barely beat bad teams.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Only one season, so no big deal

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I guess a bigger picture is that if the C's are a 2 or a 3 seed does it really matter? Or a 1 seed ?  To me, the biggest issue is that the C's basically suck without IT having a big game.  Why do I say "suck"?  They have a losing record against good teams and can barely beat bad teams.

I think it matters a lot. If we are the 3 seed instead of the 2 and actually win the first round then our next opponent would be the Cavs. Would you rather face the Cavs in round 2 or the winner of say the TOR/ATL series? I think that is a no brainer.

If we are just happy for the future and settle for the fact that we aren't winning it all this year then what free agent wants to come here? If we lose in 1st round or if we get spanked in second round to the Cavs does that make a Griffin or Hayward anxious to join mediocrity?

We need the 2 seed and we need to go to the ECF if we want to attract big free agents. And who knows maybe we get hot and can really push or beat the Cavs.....

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:17 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Our biggest problem all year has been the capacity of wasting big leads, with and without Thomas.

This has led to a lot of close games and squeezing our starters due to very few blowout games in the 4th quarter. It may have a negative effect in April-May.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
beating brooklyn after they had a little streak of playing well and then their 2nd loss yesterday was what i was watching
-getting the best odds in lottery seems more important than losing to philly-their players wanted it more
  watched first half of philly and haven't gone back to watch full game but rozier really can disrupt flow,brown may have eaten too much popcorn and avery's shot looked straight line
-unless there is a clear seeding advantage or psychological advantage
 why play playoff defense ,dive for loose balls and jeopardize being being healthy or antagonizing lebron by beating the cavs for first---in the end they have love back