Author Topic: IT is kinda important as the Celts only above average shot creator, huh?  (Read 1538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PhoSita

  • NCE
  • JoJo White
  • ****************
  • Posts: 16210
  • Tommy Points: 1416
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

Carmelo doesn't create the kind of shots you want.

He allows lots of shots the opponent wants.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rosco917

  • Ray Allen
  • ***
  • Posts: 3611
  • Tommy Points: 249
The truth of the matter is, without the scoring of IT, the C's are a .500 ball club... that's how unreliable our team scoring is without IT.

The problem is IT is a severely undersized PG who is a totally ineffective as a defender... in fact he is "the" point of attack for every team that plays us, plus he's not exactly a willing passer, he has trouble making teams pay who double him. To that point, our center is the main distributer of the ball in our offense. More and more IT is playing off the ball.

IT is in fact a one demential, wild card player that just happens to have a skill set that our team can't live without. He's a great scorer.

Some of us are just not comfortable with a team built like this. It's fools gold, and we know you'll never get into a finals with a formula like this.




Offline flybono

  • Isaiah Thomas
  • Posts: 774
  • Tommy Points: 42
Nice to see JBrown only playing 12 minutes.. He should be well rested for the playoffs

Offline RockinRyA

  • Jim Loscutoff
  • **
  • Posts: 2816
  • Tommy Points: 370
I would say critical,  not just important.

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.

If our odds are so low, then what more for other teams?

Online __ramonezy__

  • Jae Crowder
  • Posts: 373
  • Tommy Points: 47
Not going to read too much into this loss, but man the 76ers just bodied us without arguably their two best players. This team could be a monster in 2-3years.

I think the overall strategy felt a bit off tonight, I felt a smaller quicker Jerebko would have been better on Saric on the defensive end and facilitated better spacing on the offensive end. Also felt that with IT out we needed our best shooters because the drive and kicks not going to be as open without IT if it's going to be contested I prefer JJ and KO over Smart.

One thing I appreciate about Horfords game is that there are simply no wasted possessions when the ball is in his hands... any play he makes or shot he takes is one he can comfortably make... a lot of our younger players still feel like they're forcing plays that are beyond the scope of their game.


Offline Chris22

  • Ray Allen
  • ***
  • Posts: 3536
  • Tommy Points: 302
Give me Fultz

You may get him.

I would have started Rozier instead of Smart to keep the rotation the same.

Offline chambers

  • Tiny Archibald
  • *******
  • Posts: 7317
  • Tommy Points: 920
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

We had Joel Anthony but just let him walk. FIRE AINGE!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online Boris Badenov

  • Antoine Walker
  • ****
  • Posts: 4400
  • Tommy Points: 887
Not going to read too much into this loss, but man the 76ers just bodied us without arguably their two best players. This team could be a monster in 2-3years.

Hmmmmm.

Offline Kuberski33

  • Ray Allen
  • ***
  • Posts: 3138
  • Tommy Points: 158
This team needs another proven guy who can consistently score at a high level more than any other skill set whether or not we get Fultz.
One who can be more than just a good jump shooter.  We have plenty of those.

Offline crimson_stallion

  • Rajon Rondo
  • *****
  • Posts: 5454
  • Tommy Points: 791
I would say critical,  not just important.

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.

If our odds are so low, then what more for other teams?

That's aalmost completely irrelevant for the most part.

We have a better odd, on paper,  of getting #1 then any other team.   Unfortunately the lottery contains 14 teams,  not two.

So even if we have better odds then any other team,  we still only have a 25% chance.   That means its 75% probability that we don't get the #1 pick.

If you look at historic drafts, you'll see that the team with the worst record has rarely even gotten the top pick.   It happens, but rarely.   The Sixers getting it last year was I think only the second or third time it's happened in the past 10 years.  In fact in the last 15 years I think there have been more teams that have won the #1 pick from outside the top 5, then there have been actually from the  #1 spot. Its usually teams in the 2-4 spots that tend to get the #1 pick.

And when it comes to draft pick Boston hasnt exactly head the best of it historically.

At the end of the day the odds of getting the #1 pick are so low that there may as well be no difference - whether you come last, 2nd last or 3rd last, the odds are similar enough that is practically a non factor.

We have a better shot then anybody,  but our chances are still very low.   There are a lot of people who seem to be practically banking on the fact that we will get the #1 pick and have the freedom to select whoever we want.  Most likely scenario is we end up picking 2nd or 3rd.

Id love as much as anybody if we do select #1, but I am managing my expectations based on my knowledge of how improbable it is, and how unlucky the Celtics typically always get in the lottery.

Offline crimson_stallion

  • Rajon Rondo
  • *****
  • Posts: 5454
  • Tommy Points: 791
I would say critical,  not just important.

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.
... they are 25%

Precisely my point.

If i had an illness and was going for an experiential treatment that I was told had a 25% chance of my coming out alive, I'd make sure my will is in order long before I start planning my next holiday.

You can call it pessimistic. I call it realistic. One in four odds are not good odds.

Offline crimson_stallion

  • Rajon Rondo
  • *****
  • Posts: 5454
  • Tommy Points: 791
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

Carmelo doesn't create the kind of shots you want.

He allows lots of shots the opponent wants.

Carmelo creates and makes the type of difficult shots that very few other players are capable of either creating or making, and he makes them consistently.

That's kind of important when you're in the playoffs competing against the leagues top teams - the type of games where easy shots are few and far between.

But having a player who is very efficient at making easy uncontested shots (e.g. Horford) is lovely to have in the regular season when half t your games are against teams who don't play defence.

Sadly Smart falls is the worst case of the two.   He's a historically bass shooter AND he takes horrible shots too.  The worst of both worlds. 

Offline Redz

  • Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • ****************************
  • Posts: 28089
  • Tommy Points: 5365
  • Yup ya do
I would say critical,  not just important.

Also bringing up Fultz is pointless.  Our ods of getting him are so low that the idea is barely worth mentioning.
... they are 25%

They're not good odds, but they're better than anyone else's.

Precisely my point.

If i had an illness and was going for an experiential treatment that I was told had a 25% chance of my coming out alive, I'd make sure my will is in order long before I start planning my next holiday.

You can call it pessimistic. I call it realistic. One in four odds are not good odds.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

Offline The One

  • Don Chaney
  • *
  • Posts: 1886
  • Tommy Points: 189
Yup...this is a huge deficiency.

Hayward/Griffin would do wonders...along with a Fultz/Ball type.

Offline Moranis

  • JoJo White
  • ****************
  • Posts: 16215
  • Tommy Points: 770
This is why I was pushing so hard for Anthony around the deadline

Carmelo doesn't create the kind of shots you want.

He allows lots of shots the opponent wants.

Carmelo creates and makes the type of difficult shots that very few other players are capable of either creating or making, and he makes them consistently.

That's kind of important when you're in the playoffs competing against the leagues top teams - the type of games where easy shots are few and far between.

But having a player who is very efficient at making easy uncontested shots (e.g. Horford) is lovely to have in the regular season when half t your games are against teams who don't play defence.

Sadly Smart falls is the worst case of the two.   He's a historically bass shooter AND he takes horrible shots too.  The worst of both worlds.
That was my thinking on Anthony.  He can create a shot for himself, or others, when being guarded by some of the best players in the world.  He is a good outside shooter, can take people off the dribble, etc.  When Thomas gets smothered in the post season, Anthony would be a great safety valve.  Given the Knicks were basically trying to give him away, it is a real shame Boston didn't take a chance on him. 
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.