Author Topic: So you are IT's agent  (Read 1361 times)

So you are IT's agent
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
do you start pressuring the Celtics now for an extension, or do you wait?

Why not just send DA tapes of the last two games with your bottom line demand?

Re: So you are IT's agent
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
People needed to be reminded of his value.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What leverage does IT have to demand an extension?

If Boston doesn't offer him an extension this summer do you really think he'll refuse to re-sign as a free agent the following summer?

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Then Ainge can kindly show him to the door, while muttering under his breath, "just wait until I get Fultz..."
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Then Ainge can kindly show him to the door, while muttering under his breath, "just wait until I get Fultz..."

... And become a lottery team for the next few years as well.

You think Fultz is coming in and putting up 25 PPG his rookie/sophomore seasons?

And Smart isn't capable of scoring 20 PPG either, so..
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
IT would potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table if he signed an extension. Getting to free agency means a bigger payday. His agent would be foolish to push for an extension. If anything, the C's should want to extend him.

Depending on the state of the Celtics’ payroll on July 12 – post-draft and 12 days into free agency – they could renegotiate and extend his contract as a way to lock him up long-term. That deal, based on current salary cap projections, would be worth a combined $145.5 million and run through the 2021-22 season ($33.3 million salary for that season).

The most likely option would come in the following summer, when Thomas could sign a max contract worth a combined $179 million over five years (topping out at $40.8 million in the 2022-23 season). If, of course, his wandering eye doesn’t lead him elsewhere in free agency.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/24/isaiah-thomas-celtics-lakers-magic-johnson-paul-george/98372510/
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

We are getting Fultz regardless if we win the lottery. Fultz should be an addition not a replacement.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
IT would potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table if he signed an extension. Getting to free agency means a bigger payday. His agent would be foolish to push for an extension. If anything, the C's should want to extend him.

Depending on the state of the Celtics’ payroll on July 12 – post-draft and 12 days into free agency – they could renegotiate and extend his contract as a way to lock him up long-term. That deal, based on current salary cap projections, would be worth a combined $145.5 million and run through the 2021-22 season ($33.3 million salary for that season).

The most likely option would come in the following summer, when Thomas could sign a max contract worth a combined $179 million over five years (topping out at $40.8 million in the 2022-23 season). If, of course, his wandering eye doesn’t lead him elsewhere in free agency.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/24/isaiah-thomas-celtics-lakers-magic-johnson-paul-george/98372510/

Something about a bird in hand. If I am IT's agent I advise him to take the $145 million if it is offered. A lot of things can happen in the course of an NBA season you do not take a chance on and walk away from $145 million.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Something about a bird in hand. If I am IT's agent I advise him to take the $145 million if it is offered. A lot of things can happen in the course of an NBA season you do not take a chance on and walk away from $145 million.

it is absolutely in the C's best interest to do the extension.  It gives us a bit of a break on his salary, and makes his contract a bit more trade friendly.  From IT's comments it doesn't seem like he would do that though, which is a calculated risk for him.  We just gotta wait and see what DA does.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If the Celtics want to sign him to an extension asap, IT4 I bet signs

reason:

Potential Injury, trade/future discussions (irritating), from 6 million to 25 million a season is a significant increase.  No guarantee he will get max max the year after anyways