Author Topic: How far along would the C's rebuild be if we had not changed coaches.  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How much of our speedy rebuild is due to Danny Ainge's skills as a GM and how much is it because we switched coaches. Of course if it was Danny that orchestrated the coaching change then he should get additional credit for the coaching successes too. So in the form of percentages how much of the credit goes to Danny and how much to Brad.

I say Danny gets 70% and Brad gets 30%.

Re: How far along would the C's rebuild be if we had not changed coaches.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Doc is a good coach when he has all the pieces handed to him.   Give him the best car and he ll win the race.

CBS ....LOVES the challenge and the thrill of being the underdog and winning .......and he is right , it's a lot sweeter to upset the mighty.

We would look a lot like the Mavs team looks today , if Doc stayed.  Maybe worse .   Trying to keep Pierce to,the bitter end ,  never a real rebuild .   

It was a hard pill to,swallow losing Doc .    But he did us a favor in the long run by leaving . CBS will Eclipse Doc one day .

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Indiana calling ? Bye bye Brad........

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Doc would probably have built a different style of team. Likely more savvy vets and a different set of rookies.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:43:14 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Doc is a good coach when he has all the pieces handed to him.   Give him the best car and he ll win the race.

CBS ....LOVES the challenge and the thrill of being the underdog and winning .......and he is right , it's a lot sweeter to upset the mighty.

We would look a lot like the Mavs team looks today , if Doc stayed.  Maybe worse .   Trying to keep Pierce to,the bitter end ,  never a real rebuild .   

It was a hard pill to,swallow losing Doc .    But he did us a favor in the long run by leaving . CBS will Eclipse Doc one day .
I think you are mischaracterizing Doc's coaching history. The Clips are the first team where he didn't inherit a trash pile. Orlando and Boston were both considered very bad teams when he arrived. Yet he won coach of the year in Orlando because the beat expectations.

Don't confuse not wanting to coach a rebuild with being unable.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 03:11:10 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Doc would probably have built a different style of team. Likely more savvy vets and a different set of rookies.
I agree, i imagine the rebuild would have gone tried to build around Rondo and Green. So there would be no IT and no Horford. My guess would be that we'd look like a more functional version of this years Bulls team

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We'd be stuck in reverse. Jaylen would be benched in favor of Gerald Green. We might be seeing more Tyler Zeller.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Let's give Danny credit where it's due. He told Doc what was going to happen at a time where Doc had coaching options. He encouraged Doc to look elsewhere if he didn't want to go through the rebuilding cycle - which he knew Doc didn't. He also likely told Rivers that a rebuilding team wasn't going to pay their coach $10m a year nor would he get a front office title. So while Ainge didn't force him out, he sure made it a relatively easy decision for Rivers. It was a brilliant piece of manipulation.

Then Danny went and got Brad and the Cs first building block was put in place.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think it depends on what you call a succesfull rebuild. We have a great record and Stevens has done a fantastic job getting wins out of the roster, however many believe we will need to go through another rebuild before becoming true contenders again.

With a different coach I think we have less wins at this point of the rebuild, however I don't think we would be any further away from being true contenders as that is entirely in Dannys hands (ie getting talent). Steven needs to show us he can win in the playoffs with a talented roster when it arrives.

I agree Danny 70% Stevens 30%

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
We'd be in perpetual tank mode and Doc would be super depressed.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Indiana calling ? Bye bye Brad........
nm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva